Lounge
 Operating systems
Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2002 :  12:47:53
I've heard of copland and rhapsody and A/UX, I have a pretty good idea of what they are, but is there any more interesting apple Operating systems that Apple made, but never shipped? also, where can I get copland rhapsody or A/UX. What machines will they run on?

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2002 :  12:51:16
You can get all those off the 68kmla Hotline server...

Download hotline from download.com (someone line I'm leaving)

then connect to : 68k.torpedobird.com

There yah go!

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:21
ENTER THROUGH THE GATESGo to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2002 :  13:21:02
quote:

I've heard of copland and rhapsody and A/UX, I have a pretty good idea of what they are, but is there any more interesting apple Operating systems that Apple made, but never shipped? also, where can I get copland rhapsody or A/UX. What machines will they run on?

A/UX is the one that'll run on 68ks - and apple also release ANSs, Apple Network Servers - massive big ol servers that ran AIX, an IBM Unix - apparently quite a nasty OS :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2002 :  14:42:51
OpenStep. Apple shipped it after acquiring NeXT, but it's still a really nice OS. See my webpage referenced below.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2002 :  16:52:07
quote:
OpenStep. Apple shipped it after acquiring NeXT,...

Wait, apple officially shipped/sold OpenStep? Just another nifty thing i need to know

~The Penguin

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline ServerGo to Top of Page

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2002 :  18:56:12
I have a question about Copland. I downloaded it from the 68k HL server, but when I mounted the disk image and opened the ReadMe, it said it was a developer version of OS 8 (OS8 D11-something I think).

This puzzles me because I thought Copland, while related to and partially integrated into the OS8 we eventually got, was very much distinct from OS8 in appearance and features. So my question is, which of the following does this Copland disk image contain:

(1) the partially completed work of the Copland we saw and read about in various teasers, icon sets and screenshots in the mid-90s, OR

(2) just an early version of what we now know as OS8?

TIA for any info folks can provide.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2002 :  15:18:50
I've seen 2 files that claim to be copland, I have downloaded the small one, (about 20megabyets that expands to about 60MB) it's system folder seems to have a different structure to that of the normal os8.1 (I'm running 8.1 now)

I have yet to see the system folder of the larger copland file, becsue I'm still downloading it

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Aug 2002 :  12:29:36
I've determined that I am going to be putting either Rhapsody DR2 or the latest version of OpenStep on a peesee.

What are the minimum system requirements? what program should I use to burn the CD in windows?

Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 11 Aug 2002 :  15:04:20
I don't know the system requirements but go with open step it is a fully completed os.

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 2 stars.
Tones of mac junk in the corner of my closet.
-----
Servers: afp://68kdisk.no-ip.com l/p 68kmla/68000
hotline://68kdisk.no-ip.com
Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 11 Aug 2002 :  15:37:57
See the thread "OpenStep Uploaded" for burning instructions. The file on the Hotline server, once decompressed, is a raw device image of the OpenStep CD. There are also two floppy disk images that need to be put on disks with rawrite.

If you have a PC handy that meets OpenStep system requirements (see my webpage, link below), by all means install it. It's a really nice OS that's much like OS X. It has the dock, the Terminal, column view in the Finder, a Services menu, and OmniWeb. Since all of the Lighthouse apps (OpenWrite, ParaSheet, WetPaint, and more) have been released into the public domain, you can use it for useful work.

Rhapsody DR2 is pretty much OpenStep with a Mac-like interface. It's fun to play around with, but very little useful software was written for it.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 13 Aug 2002 :  01:33:23
I've got a PC, I can make it to a 120MHz pentium, I can put alot of RAM in it too, It has 16 to begin with, and 4 more slots, I'll have to play around with the RAM to get it right... anyway... a sound card, ethernet card and a gigabyte HD I think, it should make a good rhapdosy or openstep system

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.