Rare NuBus Video Card? <rolleyes>
Author Topic  
Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  18:36:18
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2041950600&rd=1

curiosity got the best of me, i'm pretty sure i just bought a ThickNet LC PDS NIC! does anybody know what this is for certain?

link to photo only, it has all the info in captions:

http://www.hillsboro.net/users/rspivey/relynubusvideocard.jpg

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  19:07:38
are you sure that isn't a rare PDS video card?

i don't see how a ThickNet card would be so big! all of the PDS NICs I have (check the 'republic) are "normal" sized

--------------------
keeper of the website , master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™, and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  19:28:36
It must be PDS look at the way the connectors are positioned.

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 2 stars.
Tones of mac junk in the corner of my closet.
-----
All servers currently off 'till I get a dedicated server.Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  20:01:05
quote:

are you sure that isn't a rare PDS video card?

nope, i'm only sure that it's a PDS card!

Rely might have been the OEM for one of the other cards or they might have sold one of the video cards listed on LEM under their own brand with a monitor or something, dunno, that's why i asked.

the thing that makes me think it might be a video card is that it has pins running parallel to the PDS connector in a pattern that looks like it might be a SIMM socket. i think the Radius Pivot LC PDS card seems to have had one too.

http://homepage.mac.com/debtech/.Pictures/cardcardbobard.jpg

i guess time will tell!

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  20:57:37
i just heard from the seller, we're in the middle of another deal already so i won't even need to pay for shipping!

he said it does have a SIMM socket and it has the female screw lugs for a video cable. was Rely a mail order company or a mfr?

jt .

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  23:17:31
quote:

i just heard from the seller, we're in the middle of another deal already so i won't even need to pay for shipping!

he said it does have a SIMM socket and it has the female screw lugs for a video cable. was Rely a mail order company or a mfr?

I just pulled the pic into photoshop, & counted the pins - looks to be 72 pins on whatever simm connector is on the other side of the card.

dana

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  23:31:40
I counted the pins on the euro-din connector there - I get 40 in one row, which gives 120 total... LCPDS's were 96 pin... and the extended LCIII style ones were 114 pin by adding the offset 18 extra pins... they were offset by a width of 2, which is an extra 6 pins, which goes to the... 120 pins!

If it is meant for an LC PDS slot, then tis for a LCIII and up PDS slot!. wheeee.

dana (then again, IIci cache cards are 120 pin connectors too...)

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  23:56:00
quote:

If it is meant for an LC PDS slot, then tis for a LCIII and up PDS slot!. wheeee.

dana (then again, IIci cache cards are 120 pin connectors too...)

yup! SE/30's, IIsi and IIfx slots too! but the open frame on the connector looks like it's meant for the microquadra PDS, if i'm really lucky, it'll be one of the cards that'll work in the 630 PDS!

jt .

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 03 Aug 2002 :  00:01:23
quote:

...if i'm really lucky, it'll be one of the cards that'll work in the 630 PDS!

...and if it does fit in the 630... well, you can do with it whatever it was designed to do.

whatever it is

:D

dana

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 03 Aug 2002 :  06:05:46
quote:
..and if it does fit in the 630... well, you can do with it whatever it was designed to do.

whatever it is

:D

dana

Yup!

Hope its got enough VRAM, so that your beloved 630 can figure out some new high resolution tricks! Otoh, you could always park a 21" Colour Display (or a 1710AV....) next to your MicroQuadra and run it off this board, while you leave the Portrait running off the BIV. Eeek!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 Aug 2002 :  16:05:57
i just updated my fritter thread so here's the info i've uncovered so far:
quote:

well, the silly card didn't get here yet, but i spent a little time googling. I think i have half a DOS on Mac setup for a PPC road apple on its way.  :rolleyes:

CRAPPY PICCIE

quote:
http://www.access.ch/power/infoservices/MacWeek/MacWeek220796.html#Index21

News: Reply announces DOS on Mac cards for LCs, Performas

By John Poultney

Reply Corp. this week announced a new line of DOS cards designed for the processor direct slot of PowerPC-based LC and Performa systems.

Reply said the cards will work with the Power Mac and Performa 5200, 5300, 6200 and 6300 series; testing is under way for earlier LC and Performa designs based on 680x0 chips. The cards, expected to ship in the fourth quarter, will be on display at August's Macworld Expo in Boston.

The LC's compact case presented special engineering problems, a spokeswoman for Reply said. The final 7-inch design features two double-sided circuit boards connected by a bracket. The cards, based on a 133-MHz 586 AMD processor, will ship with a single, empty SIMM slot, which may be filled with up to 64 Mbytes of RAM. Standard outputs will be VGA video, 16-bit SoundBlaster-compatible audio and one game port; sound-in will not be supported.

The basic model, priced at $895, will be equipped with a multipin connector and a cable that splits into VGA and game-port connectors. An enhanced model, not yet priced, will include parallel and serial ports to provide greater support for Intel-standard PC peripherals, the company said. Each card will ship with 1 Mbyte of video RAM, providing eight-bit resolution at up to 1,152 by 864 pixels.

An optional software enhancement, the $195 Network Pac, will provide dual TCP/IP networking, enabling simultaneous Internet Protocol connections on the Mac and PC side, according to the company. The cards will support Microsoft Windows 3.1, Windows 95 and Windows for Workgroups, but not Windows NT, Reply said.

Reply Corp. of San Jose, Calif., can be reached at (40 . . . .

. . . in my dreams!

i think my card would be the bottom of the two card set with the 72 pin (thanks for counting Dana!) SIMM and hopefully the 586 AMD CPU mounted on the topside with the *crosses fingers* lower speed i/o components on the two surfaces of the larger rectangular upper card. when checking out the case of my 605 for hacking in an internal CD i realized that all the "extra room" is below the mobo.

if this card will run in a 630 it'll fit fine, but a 475/605 would barely have room for a really low angle SIMM socket. the two rows of board interconnects on the horrible piccie above look like they align with the "solder side" earmarks of DIP headers on the eBay card. it's probably a "Road Apple Only" kinda card tho.

maybe it'll come in tomorrow's mail . . .  :-/

jt

maybe it'll turn out to be a 630 capable card after all . . . but i doubt it!

jt .

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 Aug 2002 :  13:38:04
Update time!
quote:
it's here! here are some specs:

Mfr: Reply Corp.
OPTI 82C802GP = 586 Compatible 486 Chipset
Some IC under a heatsink that looks remarkably like a:
208-pin SQFP (Shrink Quad Flat Pack) Package
(the standard Am5X86 Microprocessor Family alternate to PGA Package)
Connector is a DB-15 (anybody got a link to the crazy pinouts?)
empty thru-holes for installing a 2x10 header for an internal ribbon cable (good call chris)

this is the first SIMM socket i've ever seen that holds the SIMM board absolutely parallel to the Card, it's VERY cool!

the only really strange thing is that the PDS connector has the 6 blank pins on the LC III PDS Connector implemented, dunno if they are connected to anything tho, i guess a stock connector is a lot cheaper!  Apple should learn THAT particular lesson!  ::)

it's a DOS on Mac card, it fits perfectly in a Quadra 630 and one link i found says it ran in one. the question is . . . will it run without the i/o card for the two interboard connectors. my guess is that it is the lowend card and will work and that only the highend card came with the serial/parallel daughtercard.

we'll see!

jt

p.s. i guess you could call it an DOS Windows Videocard, but it sure AIN'T NuBus!  ;)

it won't really fit in a 605, but it's REALLY close! i sure hope i can get it to run on a 630 or i/m gonna need to lock my own thread! :rolleyes:

jt .

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 Aug 2002 :  15:45:22
more news:
quote:

woohoo! so far so good!

ReTested fit of DOS card in 605:

decided to go for it!  =8-}

1) removed cover from PRAM Battery holder and covered contact points with electrical tape to improve profile/contact.

2) removed strain releif bracket from SCSI Cable connector on mobo to lower profile.

3) covered contact point between corner of card and heatsink from 68040 (33 MHz full 040 pulled from Radius Rocket) with electrical tape.

4) smooshed cable and wires down as far a possible.

5) installed DOS card  sucessfully in Quadra 605!

6) tested the lid with sheilding removed . . .

it'll go with a little surgery!

7) booted 605 sucessfully

ran TattleTech:

· Total Physical PDS Slots Present = 1
· Total Physical Nubus Slots Present = 0
     ===========================
· Nubus/PDS Slot# = $00
   ? Board Name = MEMCjr Built-In Video  
   ? Board ID = 77
   ? Vendor ID = Apple Computer, Inc.  
   ? Revision Level = Macintosh CPU Family 4.1  
   ? Part# = The HORROR Continues  
   ? Date = 15-Jun-93
   ? Functional Resources :
 + Device sResource Name = Display_Video_Apple_DAFB
    - Device Category = 3  (Display)
    - Device Type = 1  (Video)
    - Device Software Interface Type = 1
    - Device Hardware Type = 28
    - Device sResource# = $CA
    - Driver Number = -49
 + Device sResource Name = CPU_68040
    - Device Category = 10  (CPU)
    - Device Type = 5  (68040)
    - Device Software Interface Type = 0
    - Device Hardware Type = 24
    - Device sResource# = $FB
    - Driver Number = [NA]
       ----------------------------------  
· Nubus/PDS Slot# = $0E
   ? Board Name = Macintosh PC PDS Card  
   ? Board ID = 86
   ? Vendor ID = Apple Computer, Inc.  
   ? Revision Level = 1.1  
   ? Part# = 341S0101  
   ? Date = 15-Jul-96
   ? Functional Resources :
 + Device sResource Name = CPU_80486_Apple_PC
    - Device Category = 10  (CPU)
    - Device Type = 36
    - Device Software Interface Type = 1
    - Device Hardware Type = 21072
    - Device sResource# = $80
    - Driver Number = [NA]

software next?

btw: i checked out the ThinNet Upgrade Card for my Futura II NuBus video card that he sold me first and it's defective . . .  

it's 10baseT!!!!!!!!!

i'm a happy camper!  

jt

if anybody has any ideas about where to find the pinouts for this (WHACKO!) DB-15 - VGA/Game Port Connector i'd be much obliged for a lead!

jt .

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2002 :  03:03:59
quote:
if anybody has any ideas about where to find the pinouts for this (WHACKO!) DB-15 - VGA/Game Port Connector i'd be much obliged for a lead!

Hmm... are you sure that the video signals are brought out on the DB-15. I thought that since the card was designed for a 630 series that it brought the PC video out to something that fit in the DAV slot (same slot that the Apple Video System card plugs into).

<<<john>>>

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2002 :  07:57:57
quote:

quote:

Hmm... are you sure that the video signals are brought out on the DB-15. I thought that since the card was designed for a 630 series that it brought the PC video out to something that fit in the DAV slot (same slot that the Apple Video System card plugs into).

dunno, best info to date is in the "CRAPPIE PICCIE/MacWeek" post above:
quote:
The LC's compact case presented special engineering problems, a spokeswoman for Reply said. The final 7-inch design features two double-sided circuit boards connected by a bracket. The cards, based on a 133-MHz 586 AMD processor, will ship with a single, empty SIMM slot, which may be filled with up to 64 Mbytes of RAM. Standard outputs will be VGA video, 16-bit SoundBlaster-compatible audio and one game port; sound-in will not be supported.

The basic model, priced at $895, will be equipped with a multi pin connector and a cable that splits into VGA and game-port connectors. An enhanced model, not yet priced, will include parallel and serial ports to provide greater support for Intel-standard PC peripherals, the company said. Each card will ship with 1 Mbyte of video RAM, providing eight-bit resolution at up to 1,152 by 864 pixels.

i have a feeling that the unimplemented 2x10 IDC Header Pins on the back of the card would be for any internal connections to the mobo.

"DAV connector" on the 630 is a 22 Contact keyed edgecard connector

the 5290 i can't get to the right now . . . but the Apple Video Mirror pinouts are available . . . which is the proper name for this btw?

630 DOS card's DAV header interface is 16 pins -> 22 pin AVM card

DB-15 on Reply 586 card doesn't seem to be either Mac Video or a PC Joystick Port from the looks of the Traces but some of the lines seem to be configured similarly on the DAV interface for the Apple 630 Card and the DB-15 on the Reply Card. Components L1-L5 are on both cards and L6-L12 are only on the Reply card. they look for all the world like they are Xeners as they have two contacts and are on lines connected to cables and the ground plane as far as i can tell at this point. the oddest thing is that L11 and L12 on the DB-15 are consistent with respectively: Pins 5 (Ground) and 8 (+5v DC) on the PC Joystick Port and are REALLY Heavy Traces with "Xeners" on them so they might carry signals besides being power/ground which would make a DB-15 a 17 contact connection and shell ground adds an 18th possibility.

Pin 1 looks like it might be connected straight to either the Power (Joystick) or more likely the Ground Plane (Apple Video Mirror), dunno. most if not all of the video ground lines on my "DAV" cable card seem to be tied together in a common plane with pin one, but the orientation of the numbers on the header connector on the DOS Card end of the cable seem to be reversed! :rolleyes:

the one thing i'm certain of is that this is NOT a straight MAC Video Cable.

i think i need to find my logic probe! =8-/

jt .

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  17:25:11
Has anybody got a Reply (or the Apple branded version) Dos on Mac cable so they could buz the connections and post the pinouts for me?

I can't bekieve that auction piccie is still up!

jt .

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.