All Forums
 68k Conquests
 Opening Classic Macs
Author Topic  
Slomac636

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  16:34:37
I've noticed a lot of you talk about opening classic Macs and it sounds like you are butchering them. The easiest way to do it, is to take your happy butt down to Sears and get a Torx T-15 driver and a 4 inch spring clamp. The T-15 will make quick work of those hidden screws up inside the handle and it won't damage the case. The spring clamp comes with rubber pads on the business end, just pull those off and flatten the first 3/8" or so of the clamps to where they are parallel, This is your case cracker.
Then I lay the Mac face down on a sturdy table or bench on a (dry) towel folded in half. Then using the spring clamp, I *gently* insert the ends of the clamp into the gap between the two case halves and squeeze, the case will slide apart. Some open easier than others, so your MMV. Pull the back off and Viola! you are inside.

***P.S. WATCH OUT FOR THE CRT NECK, IT CAN KILL OR MAIM EVEN THE MOST EXPERIENCED MAC ENTHUSIAST - IT HAS TONS OF AMPERAGE AND VOLTS IN IT.

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  17:29:02
my dad is out to kill me... he wanted me to open up my PSU and do SOLDERING! uurgh! he just wants me dead.

thNX
"you know what the laundromat is like on the weekends!"

Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  19:19:45
quote:

my dad is out to kill me... he wanted me to open up my PSU and do SOLDERING! uurgh! he just wants me dead.

thNX
"you know what the laundromat is like on the weekends!"

Why?

P.S. Sorry I have not gotten back to you i've just been really occupied, I'll get back to you tommorow.

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 2 stars.
Tones of mac junk in the corner of my closet.
-----
All servers currently off 'till I get a dedicated server.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  22:09:04
quote:

***P.S. WATCH OUT FOR THE CRT NECK, IT CAN KILL OR MAIM EVEN THE MOST EXPERIENCED MAC ENTHUSIAST - IT HAS TONS OF AMPERAGE AND VOLTS IN IT.

Its not the CRT neck that contains all the electricity. While you need to be careful of the CRT neck, to avoid busting it and blowing the tube, you need to be *VERY* careful of the "High voltage cable" and the anode cap (the one that looks like a suction cap). Thats where the high voltages are.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 03 Aug 2002 :  06:13:11
I always remove the torx screws under the handle with a flat-head screwdriver. One of the screwdrivers I have is just the right size to fit into a torx head, and it is long enough to reach under the handle on compact Macs.

And wasn't there a long thread a few months ago on how to discharge a CRT that got added to the website ?

AnubisTTP, Tank Commander, Bolo Division
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:21Go to Top of Page

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 03 Aug 2002 :  11:41:30
My admittedly limited experience with this is that the cases are not so hard to remove once the 4 T-15 screws are out. If you are patient you can get the case-cracking started by going around the edges and gently but firmly prying the two halves apart with your fingernails. Spend about 3 to 5 minutes just gradually prying, and eventually you'll be able to pull the back off.

As for discharing the CRT, it's not too hard. Get a flathead screwdriver and a wire with alligator clips on either end (a regular copper wire will do in a pinch). Attach one end to the screwdriver shaft and the other end to the ground lug on the upper left corner (looking from the rear) of the chassis. Put your free hand behind your back (or hold it far from the hand that's holding the screwdriver). gently rest the flat tip of the screwdriver on the picture tube, near the anode cap (the round rubber thing). Gently slide the screwdriver tip under the anode cap until you meet resistance, at which point it's touching the anode. You may hear a crackle or snap as the CRT discharges. Slide the screwdriver back out, disconnect the wire, and you're done.

Go to Top of Page

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 03 Aug 2002 :  11:43:05
One more thing--the T-15 screwdriver you want is available at Sears. It's the "professional" model, which has a black rubberized handle and 6" long blade, and costs $4.99. There's a regular model with a 3" blade that goes for $3.99, but it's not long enough to work on the screws recessed in the handle area.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.