Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Balloon Help
 Open Transport on a Color Classic
Author Topic  
gdogkzo

147 Posts
Posted - 31 Jul 2002 :  20:41:56
Got myself a Color Classic today (for $30, good deal i think). I got it set up with a Asante Ethernet card, but suprisingly it wouldnt work with any apple build in drivers. I tried the network installer (gave me cannot switch due to error) and such but no luck. Eventually I just used the Asante Ethernet Installer disk and it worked fine for file sharing/appletalk. I got Open Transport and installed it on the Color Classic. Well, it would give me a address error on boot :(. I tried re formating the system again all it does is freeze at boot up when open transport is installed (works fine when its not) . Also, i Could NOT get this to work with the LC Twisted Pair card. Does my color classic have a bad motherboard? or what am i doing wrong.
Thanks,
Geoff

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 31 Jul 2002 :  21:33:47
Mabye the LC PDS card is bad donno... mabye you have corrupt softwere?

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 2 stars.
Tones of mac junk in the corner of my closet.
-----
All servers currently off 'till I get a dedicated server.Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 31 Jul 2002 :  23:55:50
quote:

Got myself a Color Classic today (for $30, good deal i think). I got it set up with a Asante Ethernet card, but suprisingly it wouldnt work with any apple build in drivers. I tried the network installer (gave me cannot switch due to error) and such but no luck. Eventually I just used the Asante Ethernet Installer disk and it worked fine for file sharing/appletalk. I got Open Transport and installed it on the Color Classic. Well, it would give me a address error on boot :(. I tried re formating the system again all it does is freeze at boot up when open transport is installed (works fine when its not) . Also, i Could NOT get this to work with the LC Twisted Pair card. Does my color classic have a bad motherboard? or what am i doing wrong.

Do you know which version of OT you're installing? If it's 1.1.1 then upgrading to 1.1.2 might help things along there - the installer is gettable from apple's ftp site. If you're already running 1.1.2 well... I don't know :D.

dana

Go to Top of Page

gdogkzo

147 Posts
Posted - 01 Aug 2002 :  05:50:58
The first cards i tried were Apple Twisted Pair LC cards, they wouldnt work at all. Then with drivers from asante i got the asante card to work.i will try the 1.1.2 and see what happends.
Geoff

Go to Top of Page

iscamac
Starting Member

7 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  14:08:30
Interesting that .. I had the same problem with asante netdock drivers. Open transport gave an address error on start up. Although this was after upgrading to 1.1.2!!! Netdock still refused to work under any circumstances.
Did you get 1.1.2 to work in the end?
Cheers
Iscamac

Go to Top of Page

gdogkzo

147 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  19:30:22
Yes i did actually. Works quite well.

Go to Top of Page

macaka

France
88 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2002 :  14:21:19
quote:

Thanks,
Geoff

Open transport works on system 7.5.3 minimum and without an Ethernet card.( switch off your card in the control panel )
macaka

It's the war....Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2002 :  15:40:11
quote:

quote:

Thanks,
Geoff

Open transport works on system 7.5.3 minimum and without an Ethernet card.( switch off your card in the control panel )
macaka

It's the war....

Not quite in the documentation it states that it is recommended that you have 7.5.3 not nesessary.

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 2 stars.
---------------------------
Servers: afp://* ftp://* hotline://*
"The Site"

*68kdisk.no-ip.comGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.