All Forums
 Lounge
 16 MHZ is zippy!
Author Topic  
boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 29 Jul 2002 :  19:19:27
I got my mac II yesterday (which was going to be tossed out because the monoter was dead(!!!)), flipped it on, and found it booted up in less than 15 seconds (thats with the "macintosh II display card" and 5MB ram)!! I never relized how fast 16MHz could feel! all it needs to be a usable school computer is the FPU/superdrive card, so I can have more than 8MB ram (that's as high as I could get it to boot proporly at) and a cache card (for speeeeeeeeeed!) or just leave it the way it is, but I dont think children will be happy about not being able to use their disks... heheheh! funn. oooh! btw, does anybody have any macs (or mac hardware) they plan on getting rid of (as in, in the trash) because I would be glad to take them, and don't wipe the drive, I need the software, so my school administrators face wont go all read and puffy and start spewing jargon on how much money 10 computers worth of old software is gonna cost the school... he is such a god damn f**king pr**k!! just because he doesn't like macs, doesnt meen the mac using student body needs to suffer!! he took my teacher's old quadra 650, and is probobly now torturing it just because! muurgh! I hope the school's network get's infected with mallissa or something and all the macs will survive, because they were isolated, just because he holds a grudge against macs for some reason! phmurg! i am bored, so me go phleff ha ha moo cha. this has strayed from the path of the main topic, so I will stop.

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 29 Jul 2002 :  23:32:22
quote:

all it needs to be a usable school computer is the FPU/superdrive card, so I can have more than 8MB ram (that's as high as I could get it to boot proporly at) and a cache card (for speeeeeeeeeed!) or just leave it the way it is, but I dont think children will be happy about not being able to use their disks... heheheh! funn.

I assume that we're talking the original Mac II (68020, 6 nubus slots). If so, to go past 8mb, you'll also need special PAL SIMMS. (Note to Mr. Lynn- those are harder to find than the IIfx ones.)

<<<john>>>

Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 30 Jul 2002 :  04:43:44
Boredomconquersall makes me laff

he can be almost as mal adjusted and cranky as me.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 30 Jul 2002 :  11:26:51
OH NO! Bad MOJO! NO QUOTE ON ORIGONAL POST!

THnx
"you can't drink brocolli, stupid!"

ahhhhh...

quote:

I assume that we're talking the original Mac II (68020, 6 nubus slots). If so, to go past 8mb, you'll also need special PAL SIMMS. (Note to Mr. Lynn- those are harder to find than the IIfx ones.)

hmmm... I thot you could just get a card that made it so you could use 4MB and above... I never knew that, but I just found a whole bunch of 2MB PAL simms in my garage, so I'm happy

quote:

Boredomconquersall makes me laff

he can be almost as mal adjusted and cranky as me.

shaktiman

that's me! it's because of the depresson and the voices onstantly telling me what to do! most of them want me to kill myself, some want me to kill others, a few want me to kill fuzzy animals, and a very small sum are saying you are a good person. fiddling with old computers is what keeps me sane, and from listening to the voices in my head! mooo.

THnx
"I like to singa! about the moona and the juna and the springa!"

Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  10:10:20
Everything seems fast if you run software and an OS from the era that the speed of computer was the cutting edge in. Of cource everybody already knew this.

Website(closed):
http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINEGo to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  12:17:31
quote:

Everything seems fast if you run software and an OS from the era that the speed of computer was the cutting edge in. Of cource everybody already knew this.

Website(closed):
http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINE

yep! I have this old game and it runs so fast in os9 man...

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 2 stars.
Tones of mac junk in the corner of my closet.
-----
All servers currently off 'till I get a dedicated server.Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  17:22:51
And then we Hit OS X and suddenly the games dont work AT ALL....

Irony sickens me sometimes...

~The Penguin

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline ServerGo to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  19:07:54
quote:

And then we Hit OS X and suddenly the games dont work AT ALL....

Irony sickens me sometimes...

~The Penguin

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline Server

I know what happend to backwards compatibility.

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 2 stars.
Tones of mac junk in the corner of my closet.
-----
All servers currently off 'till I get a dedicated server.Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 04 Aug 2002 :  06:16:10
Au contrare, Classic is more compatible with old games than OS 9 was! Star Wars, baby!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.