68k Hacks
 TV/PowerBook/'030 WebSurfer/Game console
Author Topic  
maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 27 Jul 2002 :  16:27:24
I was just thinking, with all the dead PowerBook carcasses i have sitting around, that i should try and get the 165c or 180c up and running, using an external monitor. Seeing as though i have absolutely *NO* way of working with an internal display, and the 1xx PBs have video mirroring turned OFF by default, there shall be a little challenge!

Thankfully, the 165c and 180c both handle SCSI Disk Mode without a hitch at all, so for this i'll connect it to the LC630, and do a complete install of OS 7.6, including all the PowerBook control panels. From there, i will shut down, connect the PowerBook to an external display, and get to work with Da Challenge - clicking around on the "dead" screen to find the PowerBook Displays control panel, which is used to activate video mirroring. I will rip off the internal display, and will install internet software, and a bunch of games. Teamed with my Apple Presentation System, i will have a nice little box which i can go around connecting to TVs, and either enjoy a game of Glider, or get online with the internal modem. When the time comes, i will be able to put the internal display back on, if i can parts. The 180c needs an interconnect board, whereas the 165c needs a new inverter board and back panel, both of which i can't find!

The specs of this beast will be:

14 MB RAM (maxed out)
80 meg internal HD
14.4 kbps generic Hayes-compatible internal modem
External Apple Presentation System, for connecting to TVs

So, whaddaya think?

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6

Edited by - maclover5 on 27 Jul 2002 16:29:05

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Jul 2002 :  16:40:34
i think you need to find the old 30 day limited demo distribs of Timbuktu and figure out how to have somebody with the same PB's build you an extensions folder, controls panel folder and preferences set to graft into your machine's system folder under SCSI disk mode so you can gain access to the control panels to configure the setup of your systems headless under appletalk.

actually, just having somebody configure a prefs file for you to graft into the existing system folder might work now that i'm free-associating from the original wild idea!

dunno, there's gotta be a more elegant approach!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 27 Jul 2002 :  16:46:23
Hmm yes...there IS this PB180 in my outer Mac circle....good idea there jt!

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 27 Jul 2002 :  17:54:45
If you drop the PowerBook Displays control panel on the desktop of the PB (or alias it there), then when you start it up you should be able to hit "p" then cmd-o to open it. Course you'll still have to click around to switch on video mirroring (unless there's a keyboard shortcut for that too)

Cheers!
CC

Air Marshall, 605 sQUADRAn

Honest-to-god, by-the-book liberations: 15, Other 68Ks: 5, Contraband: 7, PCs: Is you mad?Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Jul 2002 :  18:09:09
quote:

Hmm yes...there IS this PB180 in my outer Mac circle....good idea there jt!

thx! if you have access to the 180, can't you do an install for any macintosh onto the 180's HDD hooked up to the 180 in SCSIDM? then set it as the startup disk, boot up from it, configure it the way you want from the other 180 as a console hooked up to your external monitor and then boot it configured with an external monitor?

if that works, back it up onto a CD and restore it onto the 165c, might work for that one too, dunno. but definitely do the backup onto a CD or even do a SCSI transfer mode backup to create an external monitor default boot disk as your first move with the 180c when you hack something that works!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 27 Jul 2002 :  19:15:07
quote:
thx! if you have access to the 180, can't you do an install for any macintosh onto the 180's HDD hooked up to the 180 in SCSIDM? then set it as the startup disk, boot up from it, configure it the way you want from the other 180 as a console hooked up to your external monitor and then boot it configured with an external monitor?

if that works, back it up onto a CD and restore it onto the 165c, might work for that one too, dunno. but definitely do the backup onto a CD or even do a SCSI transfer mode backup to create an external monitor default boot disk as your first move with the 180c when you hack something that works!

Hmm, all good ideas you have there jt. what i am going to do, is to get the video mirroring and stuff set up on the 180 the way i want it. Then i'll stick all the prefs files and stuff on a floppy, which i will then copy onto my 180c through SCSIDM on the 630. Either way, thanks for your insight, and keep those ideas coming!

BTW: iGoofed with the modem. Its actually a 56k. DUH! *whacks self on head*

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 10 Aug 2002 :  10:38:05
Aren't the parts for the 165C and the 180 the same????

All you need to do it graft together one working machine out of the parts from the 165C and the 180, well you're at it, why not give the more powerful and more deserving 180 the color screen from the 165c, then do the TV thing to the 165 by putting it's HD into the 180 while you confugure it's prefs to do the video mirroring.

This way, you have one PB where you needn't have the presentation system, besides have you tried to use a TV as a monitor?!?!?!? it doesn't work well at all. with my Quadra, and choice of RCA and JVC TVs from 13" to 32", you can only use it well at 512 by 384, and it takes alot of fine adjustment of the TV's settings to have it look good, and even then, the colors bleed into each other.

But that's just my experience.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Aug 2002 :  17:20:07
quote:

Aren't the parts for the 165C and the 180 the same????

All you need to do it graft together one working machine out of the parts from the 165C and the 180, well you're at it, why not give the more powerful and more deserving 180 the color screen from the 165c, then do the TV thing to the 165 by putting it's HD into the 180 while you confugure it's prefs to do the video mirroring.

This way, you have one PB where you needn't have the presentation system, besides have you tried to use a TV as a monitor?!?!?!? it doesn't work well at all. with my Quadra, and choice of RCA and JVC TVs from 13" to 32", you can only use it well at 512 by 384, and it takes alot of fine adjustment of the TV's settings to have it look good, and even then, the colors bleed into each other.

But that's just my experience.

Firstly, the 180c and 165c both have a different interconnect board, inverter and other cabling. Secondly, I have used my Apple Presentation System on a TV before, and its a LOT better than they all say it is. As a matter off fact, I've actually posted here a bunch of times on the TV. FOCUS Enhancements' Image Stabilize and flicker elimination technologies are the best thing ever. Btw, I primarily use it on a Panasonic 51cm TV thats about 7 years old. Nothing top end, but a good TV nonetheless.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

vanman2004
Starting Member

USA
33 Posts
Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  22:44:47
that'd be sweet. You wanna make one for me? I'll trade you for all the computer cruft I have lying around.

(cruft- read stephen levy's "hackers")

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.