All Forums
 68k Software
 256 Colors on LC II without extra VRAM
Author Topic  
matt_sys_7
Starting Member

9 Posts
Posted - 26 Jul 2002 :  14:07:10
Is it possible to achieve 256 colors on an LCII, with stock hardware and System 6.0.8/7.6 (Dual boot w/System Picker)? I've heard of a program called Stepping Out II that uses system RAM (opposed to VRAM) to achieve bigger screen resolutions and more colors. Does anybody know where I can download a copy?

"It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile - Winning's winning."
-Vin Diesel, The Fast and the Furious

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 26 Jul 2002 :  19:05:56
You can easily get 8-bit (256 colors) on an LC II with the on-board VRAM, but only at 512x384. So odds are you probably don't have that 12" bugger which shipped with the LC II. I assume I'd be correct in assuming (wow - what an ass I would be! ) that you are using a monitor at 640x480 and only getting 16 colors...

About that "Stepping Out II", I really wouldn't reccomend it if it does what it says it does. Using system RAM for VRAM can only make your LC II slower - the IIsi and IIci didn't have dedicated VRAM, yuck! And, to add insult to injury, the LC II's RAM ceiling is 10 MB, so it's not like you have loads to spare...

So to sum it up, get a 256K 68-pin VRAM SIMM - you and your LC II will be much happier. I promise.

--------------------
keeper of the website , master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™, and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 Jul 2002 :  19:19:54
No. Actually, you need a 512k VRAM SIMM, to replace the one thats in there. Unlike the LCIII and onwards, the LCII doesn't have any onboard VRAM. The one that is in your machine now is a 256k VRAM SIMM. This allows you to get 256 colours on a 12" display (512x484), or 16 colours on a 13/14" display (640x480). If you remove it, and install a 512k VRAM SIMM, you'll be able to get Thousands of Colours on a 12" Display, or 256 on a 13" display.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 26 Jul 2002 :  19:55:16
quote:

No. Actually, you need a 512k VRAM SIMM, to replace the one thats in there. Unlike the LCIII and onwards, the LCII doesn't have any onboard VRAM.

Ah, thanks - good save

quote:

If you remove it, and install a 512k VRAM SIMM, you'll be able to get Thousands of Colours on a 12" Display, or 256 on a 13" display.

Keeping in mind that not all Apple 12" displays were 512x384. The "AppleColor High Resolution Display" is 12" and fixed-sync at 640x480

Can't win 'em all

--------------------
keeper of the website , master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™, and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 Jul 2002 :  20:41:33
quote:

Keeping in mind that not all Apple 12" displays were 512x384. The "AppleColor High Resolution Display" is 12" and fixed-sync at 640x480

Can't win 'em all

Actually, all the ones that i've used are 13" displays.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 26 Jul 2002 :  20:56:52
Ack! Communists!

--------------------

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 Jul 2002 :  22:59:12
quote:

Ack! Communists!

--------------------
--------------------

and that has to do with what????

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

matt_sys_7
Starting Member

9 Posts
Posted - 27 Jul 2002 :  07:01:51
Yeah, my monitor is the 13-inch display, now so I'm just trying to see where I can get a new VRAM SIMM. Am I correct in assuming that the LC III had a 512k SIMM, and that it could be used in my LC II, because I think I know where I can find a broken one, and I mgiht even be able to salvage the whole hting. That would be cool!!

-Vin Diesel, The Fast and the FuriousGo to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 27 Jul 2002 :  08:09:57
I must have 512k vRAM.
My LCII goes up to thousands of colors with a 12" RGB.

Website(closed):
http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINEGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 27 Jul 2002 :  14:49:10
quote:

Yeah, my monitor is the 13-inch display, now so I'm just trying to see where I can get a new VRAM SIMM. Am I correct in assuming that the LC III had a 512k SIMM, and that it could be used in my LC II, because I think I know where I can find a broken one, and I mgiht even be able to salvage the whole hting. That would be cool!!

-Vin Diesel, The Fast and the Furious

No. The LCIII did have 512k of VRAM, but it was soldered onto the motherboard, rather than being on a SIMM. You would probably need to find another LC or LCII with a 512k SIMM.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.