Quadra 950 + Quadra 610
Author Topic  
K-man
Starting Member

Finland
10 Posts
Posted - 25 Jul 2002 :  08:02:40
Sweet!

The computer administrator of the local newspaper (I used to work there) gave me som goodies to play with:

A Quadra 950 (54 MB RAM, 1 GB HD)
A Quadra 610 (36 MB RAM, 160 MB HD)
Three NuBus graphics cards (Radius PrecisionColor 8-Xj, Radius GS/C-M, SuperMac Thunder/24 with Photoshop accelerator)0
Two Crosfield DSP-MAC cards (please post any info you may have on these babies!)
An Extended keyboard II to top it off (the best keyboard EVER made!)

All in all, quite a good haul. But hey, check out the stuff I left behind:

three Quadra 950
a Quadra 610
a couple of Mac II
a IIvx
about 15 LC III
a couple of LC 475
more stuff I can't remember

OK, I can still call the guy and ask for more stuff any day of the week, but I simply can't rescue all the stuff. A question comes to mind: what do you call a person who refuses to save a Mac from certain death?

----------
K-man
New recruit, fresh off the boat
68k Mac Liberation Army
68k Macs liberated: 16

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 25 Jul 2002 :  09:11:10
You left behind THREE QUADRA 950'S????

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
I Have No Legs!Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 25 Jul 2002 :  09:23:48
Our first Finlander?

Save all the macs, post to me if you want.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 25 Jul 2002 :  14:30:11
Umm, don't you know that leaving behind 950s during a liberation mission is illegal?

But yeah, sounds like a great find! Have fun with those NuBus boards...sounds like you have some great stuff there. I'm sorry i can't tell you much about the DSP-MAC cards, seeing as though i've never heard of one before, but i'm thinking that since these Macs were used for DTP, they may be used for DTP. Not sure though.

Great find though, and yeah, you should go back and try and get the 950s!

BTW: Did they have any Portrait Displays, 2 Page Mono Displays or 21" Colour Displays? I played with a 21" Colour on an LC475 just the other day...mmmmmmm.....tasty..... The only problem with those things is that you almost need a forklift to move one!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 25 Jul 2002 :  17:12:04
I take it that you've never lifted 21" SGI screens, then.

A nice haul, a pair of a pair of MacroQuadras! Eeek!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 26 Jul 2002 :  05:35:30
Fear the day when your Mac stash reaches such a critical mass that you actually have to leave behind 950s...

AnubisTTP, Tank Commander, Bolo Division
Macs Liberated:21Go to Top of Page

K-man
Starting Member

Finland
10 Posts
Posted - 26 Jul 2002 :  10:32:49
OK, guys 'n gals, you've convinced me: I'll adopt at least one of the remaining Quadras. There's still some room in our attic. While I'm at it I'll ask for a monitor or two.

Maclover: you asked about Portrait displays. I did the same thing, but the guy admitted to having thrown all of them away . It's also a matter of time before the remaining Macs get sent to the recycling plant. What a waste...

Well, you thougt it was a disgrace to leave Quadra 950's behind, but I can top that one: there was also a IIfx lying about, that I didn't grab. Does this make me a total numbskull? On the other hand, the comp admin said he might take the fx home and install A/UX on it.

----------
K-man
68k Mac Liberation Army
68k Macs liberated: 16Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 Jul 2002 :  14:47:25
quote:

OK, guys 'n gals, you've convinced me: I'll adopt at least one of the remaining Quadras. There's still some room in our attic. While I'm at it I'll ask for a monitor or two.

Maclover: you asked about Portrait displays. I did the same thing, but the guy admitted to having thrown all of them away . It's also a matter of time before the remaining Macs get sent to the recycling plant. What a waste...

Well, you thougt it was a disgrace to leave Quadra 950's behind, but I can top that one: there was also a IIfx lying about, that I didn't grab. Does this make me a total numbskull? On the other hand, the comp admin said he might take the fx home and install A/UX on it.

----------
K-man
68k Mac Liberation Army
68k Macs liberated: 16

Shame about the Portraits, but its good that you'll be taking home one of the 950s. What about the other 2? are they going to good homes? Btw, we won't blame you for leaving the IIfx...at least its going to a good home...

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

K-man
Starting Member

Finland
10 Posts
Posted - 26 Jul 2002 :  15:46:32
Whenever I come across a bunch of Macs and I can't take care of them all (as if it happens to me every day...) I tell my friends about them. This time around a musician friend of mine said that the 950 would make an excellent sequencer machine. Hopefully he'll take the opportunity to get one for free.

----------
K-man
68k Mac Liberation Army

bradipo
Starting Member

Italy
1 Posts
Posted - 30 Jul 2002 :  16:49:33
hi all from a newbie!
geee...what a luck!
k-man if u have the chance to get and send the remaining stuff (especially the 950)...i'll pay, of course!

tnx!

bradipo - q950PPC@66 :-)Go to Top of Page

K-man
Starting Member

Finland
10 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2002 :  12:56:53
Good news, guys 'n gals!

I went back today and picked up two more Quadra 950's and the remaining Quadra 610. The last 950 had a busted motherboard (dead desktop bus).

One of the 950's will become a sequencing machine in a recording studio, the 610 I gave to a PC oriented buddy. Maybe he'll get rid of his PC thanks to this

I also got a couple of keyboards, mice, cables and a Micronet SCSI card (NuPort III). All in all, another sweet haul!

----------
K-man
68k Mac Liberation Army

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2002 :  13:27:02
quote:

Good news, guys 'n gals!

I went back today and picked up two more Quadra 950's and the remaining Quadra 610. The last 950 had a busted motherboard (dead desktop bus).

Are you sure it was broken or could the keyswitch have been in the wrong position?

<<<john>>>

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2002 :  17:22:12
Yeah, if the key is set to "padlock" then ADB device input is disabled. Might want to check that.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

K-man
Starting Member

Finland
10 Posts
Posted - 08 Aug 2002 :  00:18:33
quote:
Are you sure it was broken or could the keyswitch have been in the wrong position?

Nope, I suggested the same thing, but the IT-guy said they'd checked that possibility.

Regarding the NuPort III-card I also got, it is an (almost) plain vanilla SCSI-1 card. It supports striped RAID, though. Now if I only could get my hands on a couple of 4 gig hard drives, I would have me a pretty nifty fileserver...Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.