Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Lounge
 Stupid Mods
Author Topic  
mattminserlg15

70 Posts
Posted - 20 Jul 2002 :  23:54:18
One thing i absolutley cant stand is how mods go and lock threads. That is one thing that is seriously wrong with these forums.

I cannot stand when a thread is a catogory and strays a little from it and then is locked. Who cares what catogory its in? Why is it such a big deal? I think most of the mods on here are power hungry teen-aged kids.

Anyways I just found this as a great annyoance and one major thing that these forums lack from applefritter. I have never seen a post locked or moved on fritter unless it directly insults an individual or is completly inrrelivant to computers.

just my 2 cents

-matt

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2002 :  00:27:52
Well, as a mod, i will tell you that some/most are probably teenagers. However, we don't really close threads too often, and we use our discretion in every case, unless it is insulting or is off topic. Like one time i found a thread about startup chimes in LC/Performa, and seeing as though it had little to do with consumer Macs, i locked it. Finally, we are not like policemen here.Other than our moderating ability, we are really just like a regular member, and participate in the same conversations in the same way as a regular member, unless we can smell something fishy going on. Sure, of course we do what we can to keep things sane here, but we never just go and lock/delete/move threads just for the hell of it. I've been here since the beginning, and i've probably closed about 8 threads...possibly not even that.

I, and most (if not all) mods will only close/move/delete threads for the following reasons:

• If it is completely irrelevant to the topic
  • If it is insulting
  • If it is discussing something illegal or immoral
  • If there is a complaint about it from a member or another mod
  • If it is unneccessary (like one i closed once asking people to post their AIM SNs, ICQ #s and email addresses

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6

Edited by - maclover5 on 21 Jul 2002 00:36:10Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2002 :  02:47:44
I think you're over-reacting. The Mods here are good - excellent even. Posts that are in the wrong area are usually moved to the correct location, rather than locked. And bugger-all threads have been locked anyway (even some that perhaps should have been)

Flash!

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2002 :  05:30:13
Um, yeah, what they said...
I don't think that our locking policy is particularly strict, pointless threads may be locked but the majority of off-topic threads are moved (usually Tech question are moved into Balloon Help.)

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2002 :  05:32:59
quote:

Um, yeah, what they said...
I don't think that our locking policy is particularly strict, pointless threads may be locked but the majority of off-topic threads are moved (usually Tech question are moved into Balloon Help.)

Exactly.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2002 :  11:44:49
quote:
Other than our moderating ability, we are really just like a regular member, and participate in the same conversations in the same way as a regular member, unless we can smell something fishy going on.

This is very true. It has probably been about 2 months since I last used any moding abilities.

quote:
Anyways I just found this as a great annyoance and one major thing that these forums lack from applefritter. I have never seen a post locked or moved on fritter unless it directly insults an individual or is completly inrrelivant to computers.

The 68KMLA forums are a completely seperate and independent organization than AppleFritter. We are not required to act in the same way as mods of AppleFritter. Their choices are theirs to make, not ours, and vice versa.

I feel also that is unfair for you to judge us mods until you have been here for a while and gotten to know us. Most of the mods have been around since the inception of the 68KMLA, last August. Get to know us, then make your decisions.

------------------
Captain Z - Mobile Operations Commander
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

23 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2002 :  11:54:52
Most of the locks you see on threads are actually from the thread being MOVED to the correct forum.

You are right, many of the mods ARE teenagers, or young adults (I'm 21). The Mods actually had a disagreement a while back, in regards to egos, and abuse of power. I beleive those issues have been satisfied, and haven't seen any such abuses since.

We HAVE a place to discuss those things that are NOT computer related... The Lounge. We do not CENSOR the material, unless it's things like addresses, names, personal information, etc.

We follow a few rules:

1) we lock the thread if the people IN the thread (and specifically the one who started it) request it be locked.

2) in the Trading Post, when a deal is done, the thread may be locked (because we want the "done deals" to go away and stop caueing clutter)

3) If the thread is in the wrong forum (say, in the General News, and is asking tech questions) then the thread is MOVED, which creates a locked thread in the original location, and a new one in the proper location. Reasoning: We're trying to keep each forum specific to it's topic. That's why we have the topics we do. We've added several since we started, in an effort to keep things clean.

4) We don't tolerate harrasment and abuse.

5) Cross posting between forums, and double posting of forums isn't liked. The mods may deal with this. Again, forum cleanliness, which leads to increased usefullness.

6) The mods have publically stated a couple times now, that we'd like to keep things on the cleaner side of legal... We understand that tradeing software (abandonware) is technically illegal, and when there are specific requests like "Send my X programme via e-mail please" or "What warez site can I download X from?", we lock it. Why? Because it's blatant "I don't care that I'm breaking the DMCA. Apple and Adobe can sue me."

This group and forums were created in hopes to be a recognized and respected organization. As I've stated before "We'll never be featured on or in MacAddict if we publically support outright piracy".

Hope that helps, the mods welcome more comment.

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2002 :  12:15:38
I tried to get on Applefritter once and couldn't, cant remember why.

I dont wanna go on Apple fritter either.

If ya dont like the way the mods moderate perhaps start your own site.

Mostly they seem to be teenagers, but fairly rational & mature teenagers.

I is biggin it up for me 68k lib army.

I even like the mods here that I dont like.

They are good ppl & have helped me to create my machine(see sig)

"stupid mods" lol nah

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2002 :  12:40:24
In general, the MLA forums seem very well moderated. Though I haven't been here for that long, there has never been a time when I was offended by the actions of any of the mods. There have been helpful responses to all of my queries, and I've tried to help out other people whenever I can.

There are two things that we need to work on, though: not posting things that we're not sure about and giving more detailed responses. Several times, I've seen people post false information simply because they didn't bother to check. I've seen people quote articles and not say where the quote came from. If we'd just head over to Low End Mac before we posted about a machine's specs, or we'd do a Google search and copy the URL of the site we got a quote from, the forums would be much more useful. Also, give detailed responses. Even if you think that someone will probably know how to do something, don't assume it. Don't assume that someone will have a certain program or know where to get it. Don't even assume that someone has a working Mac on which to download files. Remember, it's not just a post's intended recipient who will be reading it. Anyone who needs Mac help can search past postings.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100, PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2002 :  13:48:28
quote:

One thing i absolutley cant stand is how mods go and lock threads. That is one thing that is seriously wrong with these forums.

I cannot stand when a thread is a catogory and strays a little from it and then is locked. Who cares what catogory its in? Why is it such a big deal? I think most of the mods on here are power hungry teen-aged kids.

*sighs* dunno who you are over on fritter, but i've been around both places as a member for months and here as a mod for the last couple of them. the new policy over at fritter for moderators to move threads and lock them with crosslinks to the moved topic came about at my suggestion, first here, and then at my suggestion of it for consideration to T.O. over there!

i've been around fritter enough to know that with the exception of the game we had going with the official 68kMLA "Padlock Magnet", i have seen many more threads on fritter be padlocked, edited by mods for content or dissapear altogether than has been the case here. the only posts or threads that i have personally deleted here were those by one person who logged on with a username that was a direct personal attack on someone with the same username as one of the mods/admins on fritter.

i'm sure several members will attest to my attempts to have booboos cleaned up by those who posted them in lieu of intervening on my own or asking another mod to intercede if it were necessary to counter your charges.

other than this post for informational purposes only, i don't think any comment on my part was called for or will be necessary to answer your first impression, as you'll see when you've been around for a while.

as for power hungry teenagers, i think that's just plain silly! conniving, grasping, power mad old coots are another matter entirely, however, and i'd appreciate your not bringing it up again until after my coup has succeededl.

oh yeah! . . . I almost forgot . . . welcome aboard!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 21 Jul 2002 13:55:04Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2002 :  18:57:42
To say any more in defense of "us" would probably be dreadfully repetitive...

--------------------
keeper of the website , master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™, and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 22 Jul 2002 :  00:28:06
I agree totally, I try not to lock any threads that I don't have to, so far everyone has been good

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:19
ENTER THROUGH THE GATESGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Jul 2002 :  08:36:35
We mods are to be feared and respected!

Or, at least, thrown an apple rind every few months.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
I Have No Legs!Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 22 Jul 2002 :  18:29:46
These type of threads crack me up - when the poster makes an outrageous statement, everybody "gangs up", then he/she seems to dissappear...

--------------------
keeper of the website , master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™, and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Jul 2002 :  19:22:52
quote:

These type of threads crack me up - when the poster makes an outrageous statement, everybody "gangs up", then he/she seems to dissappear...

--------------------
--------------------

i beg to differ: i was all sweetness and light in welcoming our newest member!

jt ™.
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

LeeMac
Trading Post Commander

USA
202 Posts
Posted - 22 Jul 2002 :  19:39:02
Duh!!! How do I do that lock thingy again??? And what was that password thingy i have to type in??? Duh!!!

General LeeMac M.A.C ( Mac Action Commando) Phantom OPS
Trading Post Commander
68k's Liberated 0004
www.68kmla.comGo to Top of Page

mattminserlg15

70 Posts
Posted - 24 Jul 2002 :  00:50:12
nah I didn't quite dissappear.....

All the posts just kind of made me feel better about the whole locking issue.

I found I had no more need to rant on about the mods here. By the way sorry to come down on you in my previous post, I was just a little tired of seeing locked threads. Now that its all been explained to me though, I'm no longer too unhappy with the situation.

peace,
-matt

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 24 Jul 2002 :  00:58:52
quote:

nah I didn't quite dissappear.....

All the posts just kind of made me feel better about the whole locking issue.

I found I had no more need to rant on about the mods here. By the way sorry to come down on you in my previous post, I was just a little tired of seeing locked threads. Now that its all been explained to me though, I'm no longer too unhappy with the situation.

peace,
-matt

Well, now i can go to bed thinking that at least one thing worked out on this stupid afternoon...

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 24 Jul 2002 :  01:11:52
Don't be insulted either -- it's just that sometimes we get a bit annoyed at people who turn up once and never return. There's been quite a lot of members who never posted anything recently, too. Wierd.

Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 24 Jul 2002 :  07:27:02
quote:
There's been quite a lot of members who never posted anything recently, too. Wierd.

school's out, finals were tough, it's nice outside, you weren't around as much before uni yourself, were you? i think springtiome and summer in the northern hemisphere have a lot to do with the phenomenon, i think they'll be back.

jt ™.

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 24 Jul 2002 :  17:12:54
Well, that was largely due to not having the internet at all.

Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

NoMacsYet
Starting Member

13 Posts
Posted - 17 Aug 2002 :  18:11:12
quote:

just my 2 cents

-matt

G'ByeGo to Top of Page

NoMacsYet
Starting Member

13 Posts
Posted - 17 Aug 2002 :  18:12:32
You Dont HAVE to post here you know

G'ByeGo to Top of Page

mattminserlg15

70 Posts
Posted - 17 Aug 2002 :  19:40:51
uhhhhh, I'm really not going to get in to any kind of flame war over here like I did on 'fritter, but I was just stating my opinion and it was pretty valid. In addition, this post was about a month ago and since then, I feel the mods are very good with their locking. As I have seen, only posts which deserve to be blocked are.

Anyways, I don't appriciate you just trying to get a higher post count and posting things like "g'bye" as a whole post.

I'm not asking for a reply so please don't.

By the way, nice job mods. Ive been really impressed sincew making that post at how good you are with you locking and with where you step in to irrelevent posts, so two thumbs up!
-mpm

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Aug 2002 :  21:31:19
quote:

By the way, nice job mods. Ive been really impressed since making that post at how good you are with you locking and with where you step in to irrelevent posts, so two thumbs up!

jt ™.

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.