68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 68k Conquests
 Where a good place to find old computer for cheap!
Author Topic  
68kman
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts
Posted - 20 Jul 2002 :  21:50:41
Where a good place to find old computer for cheap!

68k ?
apple II ?
--------------------------

Need speed?!!!
Get an Apple II !
Watch the text fly!!

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 20 Jul 2002 :  22:23:05
1) Thrift stores: Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc (note that not every thrift store is going to have 'em - it won't hurt asking, though!)

2) Garage/Estate sales: it will be either a "we're moving and just want to get this stuff the hell out of here", in which case they'll probably let some stuff go to a song, or it'll be "we're remodeling and want to sell this stuff for the same price we bought it for" in which case you should just laugh and walk away

3) schools/universities: almost every institution has a boatload of "obsolete" systems waiting to get tossed - ask their tech/IT departments about old un used macs

4) computer fairs/flee markets: see number 2

did that help?

--------------------
keeper of the website , master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™, and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2002 :  06:50:36
You can get the best stuff just by having good connections. If someone is moving, ask if they have any computers they don't need. If a business is upgrading their computers, ask them what they're going to do with the old computers. If a university is upgrading their computers, software, or network, you can probably take something. If you know of a computer store that sells used computers, they probably have some Macs sitting around in the storage room that they don't know what to do with. One computer surplus place in my town even had a SGI Indy that they were willing to part with; however, there was no monitor or keyboard for it, so I didn't take it.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100, PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

enigmatik
Starting Member

5 Posts
Posted - 25 Jul 2002 :  10:43:22
A good idea might be for us to start a single thread with sightings/locations of thrift stores, computer shops, etc. local to the poster's area - a "recon" thread, so to speak.
We could give a brief rundown of what was available there at the time, too.
Whaddya think?

Black Ops ninja
68kmlaGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 25 Jul 2002 :  14:22:09
quote:

A good idea might be for us to start a single thread with sightings/locations of thrift stores, computer shops, etc. local to the poster's area - a "recon" thread, so to speak.
We could give a brief rundown of what was available there at the time, too.
Whaddya think?

Black Ops ninja
68kmla

YEAH!!!!!

Sounds like a great idea! But yeah, i agree with oldmacman that you can get the best stuff if you have connections. Thats how i ended up with a free LC475, LC630 (w00t!), PowerBook 145B, PowerBook 165c and PM8100...

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Slomac636

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 28 Jul 2002 :  13:00:55
OLDMACMAN, YOU PASSED ON AN SGI/INDY JUST 'COZ IT HAD NO KEYBOARD OR MONITOR?? Sorry for shouting, I would have grabbed it in a second, with or without, you can find that stuff online. I hope some sensible end came to that machine, they are incredibly powerful and useful, even today.

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 28 Jul 2002 :  13:21:16
And then you could ask me, I have many macs I need to get ride of for my Tibook fund.

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:19
ENTER THROUGH THE GATESGo to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  10:06:16
hehehe! he's getting rid of like a quarter of it to me! hehehe. I have, in fact decided to sell my PM7500 in peices, becaus tImac just want's the G3 card outta it, and once it has no processor, it's useless, and unless someone has a PPC processor card lying aroud, and has no use for it, and would give it to me -hint nudge wink poke- it's SOL I'm afraid... oh well. in peices she will go.

THNX
"do you have, like, parkinsons or something?!"

Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  11:29:38
Heh, Heh. One place that hasn't been mentioned.........The local Swap-Shop, or otherwise known as the "Dump". In a different thread I mentioned a car-load of Apple/Mac stuff....., all came from the swap shop by Dad's in MA. It was all complete, functioal and believe it or not, clean. Alot of people out there don't know the value and just throw them away. As MLA members that's where I think we should target first to save them from certain death.

Current Mac's:
Mac Plus, SE30, Classic, LCII, (2) LC550, Centris 650, 7100/80, Performa 6214, PB2300c Duo w/dock, G3/400 "Shine On" [;-)]
Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  12:20:25
would there happen to be a mac there with a PM7500-compatible processor card? as said before, I need one, because my PM7500 is currently CPUless -if I only had a brain..- hehehe I couldnt resist!

THNX
"you could give me cancer!"

Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  12:27:11
It's really hard to find cheep macs in canada see this: http://www.machelper.com and: http://www.machelper.com/vintage.html
This is the only 68k parts/comps place in winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 2 stars.
Tones of mac junk in the corner of my closet.
-----
All servers currently off 'till I get a dedicated server.Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2002 :  12:36:16
so you do still exist! get on AIM! I wanna talk to you!

THnX
"the chicken is a butiful animal!"

Go to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.