UNIX on 68k
 networking A/UX
Author Topic  
option8
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts
Posted - 20 Jul 2002 :  08:50:40
after successfully installing A/UX on the SE/30 (er.. too many slashes in there..) i have now located and installed an asante maccon se30 pds ethernet card.

i know a little about linux and unix, and a good bit about macs, but how would i add and use this new card in A/UX? all the blinkenlights are.. er.. blinken, and in the network control panel (which is how i instinctively want to set this guy up, and not with ifconfig) there is the ethernet option, but it "has a problem" switching the appletalk connection whenever i select it. and in macTCP (again, how i really want to set tis up) all the options in the dialog are locked, tho it does show up as Ethernet 1.

i tried installing the asante drivers i have for other maccon cards, and it seemed to go well - of course, it thinks this is a vanilla system 7 install....

is there a good site specifically with documentation on A/UX, that might answer these kinds of questions, how to set up file sharing, etc?

-------
option8
-------

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 20 Jul 2002 :  09:01:28
quote:

after successfully installing A/UX on the SE/30 (er.. too many slashes in there..) i have now located and installed an asante maccon se30 pds ethernet card.

i know a little about linux and unix, and a good bit about macs, but how would i add and use this new card in A/UX? all the blinkenlights are.. er.. blinken, and in the network control panel (which is how i instinctively want to set this guy up, and not with ifconfig) there is the ethernet option, but it "has a problem" switching the appletalk connection whenever i select it. and in macTCP (again, how i really want to set tis up) all the options in the dialog are locked, tho it does show up as Ethernet 1.

i tried installing the asante drivers i have for other maccon cards, and it seemed to go well - of course, it thinks this is a vanilla system 7 install....

I've only set up A/UX on a Q700 - using the internal ethernet, so I don't know the specifics on adding another card - or even if it's possible... however, the MacTCP control panel is only really for display & not setting the settings - that's still all done the unix way, so that bit's normal!. can you ping another mac from your side? or your mac from another?

ftp://ftp.geo.tu-freiberg.de/pub/aux/ has quite a few a/ux progs, and the odd info file, iff you haven't been there yet.

http://www.applefritter.com/ui/aux/ vaguely -touches- on networking... but probably won't show you more than you already know :).

There are a couple of help documents that should have been installed on the HD, and one gives a basic overview of networking with a/ux... that may all help see if the TCP/IP side is working, even if the appletalk control panel is having problems.

hope that helps a lil :D
dana

Go to Top of Page

option8
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts
Posted - 20 Jul 2002 :  14:19:11
after reading a few more FAQs and other info, i find that the ae device drivers (for the Apple Ethernet card) will work for the asante maccon card i have, but that the ae device drivers aren't installed by default - this according to http://www.faqs.org/faqs/aux-faq/part3/. so, as the card wasn't detected when i installed, no drivers were installed, and there wasn't anywhere i could find just those drivers anywhere, i went ahead and reinstalled a/ux with the card installed (and took a moment to reparttition the drive so it has more swap space)

all is well now, and appletalk works on the macOS side, and TCP/IP works on the unix side (after a little ifconfig fiddling)

now that i've had time to fiddle, i see that a/ux comes with not only retrospect (for backing up my network - whee!) but sendmail already installed. things are looking up for the lowly se/30...

-------
option8
-------Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 20 Jul 2002 :  14:22:08
quote:

default - this according to http://www.faqs.org/faqs/aux-faq/part3/. so, as the card wasn't detected when i installed, no drivers were installed, and there wasn't anywhere i could find just those drivers anywhere, i went ahead and reinstalled a/ux with the card installed (and took a moment to reparttition the drive so it has more swap space)
all is well now, and appletalk works on the macOS side, and TCP/IP works on the unix side (after a little ifconfig fiddling)

Excellent!. It's a funny funny thing to see 7.1 sitting there doing its MacOS thing... knowing it's a terminal window away from unix. Kind of OSX, shifted by 10 years...
dana

Go to Top of Page

whozatmac
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts
Posted - 30 Jul 2002 :  10:27:00
The way to fix that situation on the fly is with 'newconfig' a program which links kernel modules into the kernel to build a new BSD style monolithic kernel. I found this choice bit o' info from comp.os.aux, an invaluable resource.

I had the interesting trouble that as long as ao(the onboard ethernet adaptor) was loaded, I couldn't get my asante nubus to work.

BTW - newconfig is necessary to get NFS working on the machine. Man newconfig for more info.

Apple. UNIX. A/UX rocked.

macs liberated -

Quadra 950 - quax
6100/66 - everlast
3400c - blankface
4400 - fitter_happier
5215CD - pos
II - 4 of them
IIx - 2 of them
LC III
128k, M00001 - his name is macintosh, just macintoshGo to Top of Page

whozatmac
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts
Posted - 30 Jul 2002 :  10:31:08

*/ correction!!!

That's comp.unix.aux

/*

Apple. UNIX. A/UX rocked.

macs liberated -

Quadra 950 - quax
6100/66 - everlast
3400c - blankface
4400 - fitter_happier
5215CD - pos
II - 4 of them
IIx - 2 of them
LC III
128k, M00001 - his name is macintosh, just macintoshGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.