All Forums
 UNIX on 68k
 A/UX on Quadra 605
Author Topic  
mcdonnell
Starting Member

11 Posts
Posted - 17 Jul 2002 :  20:51:02
Is it possible to install A/UX 3.x on a Quadra 605?

I've upgraded the CPU to a full 68040 and have 36MB of RAM installed. Everything seems to work normally as I boot from the A/UX floppy, but as soon as the installation begins from the CD the video signal disappears and the system seems to lock up.

Tried a few different boot disk images but always the same result.

The A/UX FAQ at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/aux-faq/part1/ indicates the Quadra 605 isn't compatible, but doesn't explain why. Would upgrading the VRAM to 1MB potentially solve the problem when the installation resets the video? Are there other hardware issues with this model that can be remedied?

Thanks for any ideas!

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 17 Jul 2002 :  21:03:36
quote:

Is it possible to install A/UX 3.x on a Quadra 605?

I've upgraded the CPU to a full 68040 and have 36MB of RAM installed. Everything seems to work normally as I boot from the A/UX floppy, but as soon as the installation begins from the CD the video signal disappears and the system seems to lock up.

Tried a few different boot disk images but always the same result.

The A/UX FAQ at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/aux-faq/part1/ indicates the Quadra 605 isn't compatible, but doesn't explain why. Would upgrading the VRAM to 1MB potentially solve the problem when the installation resets the video? Are there other hardware issues with this model that can be remedied?

I tried the same as you... and also had the same result, with the display turning black partway through the install - and I have 1mb VRAM in mine.

Part of the reason for 605s being unsupported IS the LC040 - but you and I have both put the full FPU versions in (and the 605 I tried it on has also run Linux and NetBSD fine... so it's definitely a working FPU :)

According to Apple, the 605 is most closely related to a Quadra 650, which DOES work fine with A/UX here. One of the differences is in the graphics and RAM handling chip... in a 650 it's DJMEMC: Dale & Jay's Most Excellent Memory Controller (good old apple for naming hey!). In a 605 it's a MEMC jr.

Since A/UX only works on such a small amount of hardware, and never needed to support the 605 (from apples POV, with the lack of FPU in 605s it was impossible to run anyhows) making A/UX support the MEMC jr would have been pointless.

That's my guess in detail anyway :). There may be other pieces of hardware that A/UX doesn't support in a 605 that add to the problem.

dana

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.