Lounge
 KDE on OSX
Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 17 Jul 2002 :  17:08:17
Just a note for anyone particcularly into playing with different GUIs... The first versions of KDE 3 for on OSX were pretty dud - more just release versions I think, so's there was something to build on :).

Now... well... wow. it's quite quick, and if y'want the niceness of OSX with a way-speedy GUI, KDE and gnome are now getting there.

dana (feels a bit windowsy, and the prefs are absolutely horrific - but it works!)

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 17 Jul 2002 :  20:02:23
I don't think you can run OS X programs under KDE though, since it runs with X, not DPS/Quartz. Can you?

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100, PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 17 Jul 2002 :  20:26:18
quote:

I don't think you can run OS X programs under KDE though, since it runs with X, not DPS/Quartz. Can you?

KDE isn't so much an OS/environment that apps run under, but just a kinda set of GUI libs - which in the end yah, all do display via X - using XDarwin (which any Xwindows apps can use, not just KDE)... with KDE running and displaying its apps using XDarwin, OSX apps can still run n do their thing, using Quartz to display...

A screenshot always helps!

http://www.danamania.com/temp/kde.jpg

That shows Mozilla for OSX in the top left, to the right is Netscape 4.79 under classic (just cos it's neat to throw ANOTHER gui on top :D and then Konqueror (the KDE browser) showing our forums. yay!. Oh and on the left side is the ick windowsy start-menu-replacement.

It's possible to run XDarwin in "rooted" mode (the screenshot above is in its "rootless" mode) which means y'basically have Xwindows take-over the screen completely, like on any normal Xwindows-only machine. option-command-a though, flips between an all-OSX or an all-Xwindows display... y'still get both working okee :D.

dana

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 17 Jul 2002 :  23:45:58
Nice, but the Logoff button looks liek the one in Ex-peee!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 18 Jul 2002 :  07:03:23
If you want a really fast GUI, try WindowMaker with XDarwin. You'll have to get it from Fink (the .pkg is really out of date), but it runs fast and it looks like NeXT. Now if someone would port the GTKstep theme over to OS X...

Can I get GNOME to run? I've always preferred it to KDE because I get more choices (window managers, etc.)

As for running a "real" X session, at the OS X login prompt use the login ">console" (no quotes) and no password. It'll dump you at a console login. After you log in, run emacs on your .xinitrc and be sure you have "startkde" (or whatever WM you want to use) as the only line in there. Then run startx and KDE will come up all by itself. It works with WindowMaker, but I haven't tried it with anything else. It feels speedy without the overhead of Aqua.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100, PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 18 Jul 2002 :  14:09:06
quote:

If you want a really fast GUI, try WindowMaker with XDarwin. You'll have to get it from Fink (the .pkg is really out of date), but it runs fast and it looks like NeXT. Now if someone would port the GTKstep theme over to OS X...

Can I get GNOME to run? I've always preferred it to KDE because I get more choices (window managers, etc.)

y'can - gnome runs okee, the reason I went for KDE is from time to time I needed a wordprocessor - and KWord does the MS compatible thing, without having Word on... and doing it the *ix way was just a bit more fun

quote:

As for running a "real" X session, at the OS X login prompt use the login ">console" (no quotes) and no password. It'll dump you at a console login. After you log in, run emacs on your .xinitrc and be sure you have "startkde" (or whatever WM you want to use) as the only line in there. Then run startx and KDE will come up all by itself. It works with WindowMaker, but I haven't tried it with anything else. It feels speedy without the overhead of Aqua.

I did this a couple of times with KDE - and with another window manager I can't remember - it didn't feel much different to running XDarwin in rooted mode... then again I have a G3/400 - other boxies with different GFXcards might be different!

dana

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.