Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Balloon Help
 Good sites for software???
Author Topic  
Spyswitch00

86 Posts
Posted - 16 Jul 2002 :  14:55:52
Good point. I didn't realize that erasing the HD would defragment it (I get it!).

Where can I go to find the system boot files that I need? I'm looking at essentially getting the best bang for my unspent buck (if that makes sense)if there is stuff out there on abandonware. But, I have to I'll pay for a decent software upgrade. Any ideas on where I should start? What sites can I go to?

Thanks!

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 16 Jul 2002 :  16:21:21
The wonderful folks at Apple give away the system files for System 6.0.8 and System 7.0.1. It's not abandonware; it's legal to use on older Macs. You'll probably want to stick with System 6. It will feel quite a bit faster than 7 (at least it does on my 2 SEs). You can download the disk images (US English) from http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_6.0.x/ Since a Classic has a 1.4 MB floppy drive, you can download the two 1.4 MB System 6.0.8 disk images.

If you only have access to a Windoze machine, you'll have to download Stuffit Expander for Windoze to decompress the archives. Then you can use WinImage or rawrite to write the resulting disk images to floppies. If you're on a Mac, decompress the archives with Stuffit Expander and write the resulting disk images to floppies with Disk Copy. Stick the first install disk in the drive and boot the machine. It will boot from the floppy drive. Use HD SC Setup on the floppy to format the hard drive and use Installer to install new system software.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100, PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.