All Forums
 68k Conquests
 Diamonds in the Duo rough
Author Topic  
jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 15 Jul 2002 :  11:37:02
I'm assume that we've all had at least one experience with finding the "diamond in the rough" or the biblical "peal of great prize". By that, I mean, buying/rescuing/liberating a true beater of a Mac, only to find that it contained one or two absolute gems.

In my case, it is this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2034548614, a Duo 210 which definately has seen better days. For those who wonder why I even decided to bid on it, I'm not sure... I kind of felt sorry for it and figured I had enough spare parts to put it back into some kind of workable state.

The bad:
As is clear from the photos, the back of the display bezel is broken. What is not so clear is that the LCD is also broken.

What is not visible is that one of the feet is missing.

The Type 1 battery (in the Duo) is totally dead. (It quickly reports a full charge, but has effectively no capacity.

But then there are the pleasant surprises:
The IBM 80mb drive is quiet. Actually, it is the only quiet one of these drives that I've ever seen.

See that keyboard? It is a revision F and, except for the missing keycaps, works very well. (So well, that I swapped it into my 280c instead of the latter's cranky revision C.)

Also, see that other battery on the right. That is a Type 3 which was missing its cover. Wonder of wonders, though, it takes a charge and seems to have a decent percentage of its original capacity.

As for the 210 itself, it currently sports a cleaned rev A keyboard and my spare passive matrix LCD. (That one, however, has the dreaded vertical bars, so I'll probably swap in my spare 250 display as soon as I fix its latch.) The drive has been reformatted and 7.5.5 installed. Cine has promised me an 8mb RAM and I already have an Express modem to install.

On the whole, not bad for an impulse bid.

<<<john>>>

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.