General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 Introductions
Author Topic  
iscamac
Starting Member

7 Posts
Posted - 13 Jul 2002 :  11:53:41
Hi
Ok to introduce myself ... I am a humble Infant (First grade?) teacher who got landed with the IT job. Lots of PCs at first ...great? Then a good friend was upgading his lab and wondered if I was interested in some old macs. And the collection grew from there .... 4 LC111s Performa 475 LC11 Duo280 Classic and a couple of contraband PPCs. How big is the classroom I hear you say ... not that big! The little LCs are now being loaned out to families to introduce them to the simple world of mac computing. Brings a glow to my heart!
Next project is to start collecting 68K powerbooks so that everyone can get a turn and maybe take their computing out into the garden.
Proposed rank? ... Educator of the Isca Division
Cheers :)

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 13 Jul 2002 :  12:21:12
Welcome the 68kMLA. Great job saving those computers and helping loan them out to new families. So many people forget that just because something is "obsolete" does not mean its "useless." Those machines can still do all the amazing things that justified their original price tags of thousands of dollars. And if you can help out a family that cannot afford a computer, well, so much the better!

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 13 Jul 2002 :  15:49:23
quote:

Welcome the 68kMLA. Great job saving those computers and helping loan them out to new families. So many people forget that just because something is "obsolete" does not mean its "useless." Those machines can still do all the amazing things that justified their original price tags of thousands of dollars. And if you can help out a family that cannot afford a computer, well, so much the better!

Yeah! Welcome to the 68k Macintosh Liberation Army! Sounds like you're doing a great job at putting all those LCs and stuff to use, while helping out less fortunate families! Now, when i finally get 20 pizzaboxes.....

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Hivemind
Starting Member

Liechtenstein
21 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2002 :  13:22:52
We are Hivemind.

Fear us.

We are legionGo to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2002 :  21:19:08
quote:

We are Hivemind.

Fear us.

We are legion

wha?

-----
Hotline: (when it is up) catsdorule.no-ip.org
TCP/IP server : 142.161.111.206 L: 68kmla p:68000
Http Server URL: Http://catsdorule.no-ip.com (Web access to manuals)
FTP Server: ftp://142.161.111.206/Library/WebServer/documents l/p 68kmla/68000Go to Top of Page

nooner
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2002 :  10:34:01
Greetings everyone!
Plastic is on the bar so you can get whatever you want to refresh yourselves.

I am an Apple Prodigal Son. Over the past few years I have strayed from Apple out of the idiotic mindset that "I might need to do work from home." I am in the military and if I am bringing work home with me something is terribly wrong and y'all have better things to worry about. To date I have never brought my work home with me so this fancy PC on my desk is a useless pile that is constantly breaking. Oh this isn't my first PC, I have had many and they all break. Back to the Mac stuff- I have several Macs none have ever broken. I started out with a Lisa, then got one of those fancy no hard drive jobs (my 5 year old loves it now because he can play The Daleks all day long on it) a quadra something or other, a couple powerbooks, and a performa. I am considering doing some hacks to one of the PowerBooks so that I can take it on the road with me as a word processor. Anybody got any ideas about how to hook this puppy up to a cable modem or into a lan so that I can work with PDF's (reading)?

I am so glad I am back in good company

Nooner

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2002 :  17:16:31
Not all PowerBooks have Ethernet built in, what model is it? Someone will come along shortly and remind me of the requirements for Acrobat Reader 68k shortly, I'm sure.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

dave1212

Canada
65 Posts
Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  22:58:24
Acrobat Reader 4.0 is the last that will work, and requires 7.5.3, I think. Depends what powerbook you have, as that decides what system(s) you can install.

If it has a PCMCIA slot (PC Card slot) then you can use any number of Ethernet cards to connect to a network.

Liberated 68xxx Macs:
IIsi, IIci, LC II, 2 Classic IIs

Liberated PowerPC Macs:
Powerbook 5300cs.

Posting from a Dual 450 G4, running 10.1, 10.2.3, and 9.2.1 on separate drives. 512 RAM, 90 GB HD.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  03:56:51
Nope, its Acrobat 3. Acrobat 4 requires a PPC, IIRC.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

dave1212

Canada
65 Posts
Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  06:58:27
I stand corrected.

Thanks for the clarification.

Liberated 68xxx Macs:
IIsi, IIci, LC II, 2 Classic IIs

Liberated PowerPC Macs:
Powerbook 5300cs.

Posting from a Dual 450 G4, running 10.1, 10.2.3, and 9.2.1 on separate drives. 512 RAM, 90 GB HD.Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.