General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 What to do with a broken SE?
Author Topic  
jscipione
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts
Posted - 12 Jul 2002 :  15:21:54
I have a Mac SE a broken CRT. The CRT is really really broken, there is a crack in it and when you turn the machine on it makes a high pitched squeal and you can see blue sparcs where the crack in the tube is. AFAIK the rest of the machine works, maybe. I am not particularly fond of fish, does anyone have any ideas of what I can do with this machine besides sending it to the trash heap?

Skipp

Buy a mac, it is worth the extra RISC.

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 12 Jul 2002 :  15:40:03
If you're close to L.A. or willing to ship, I'd take it. I've been planning on using a broken compact Mac as a planter...

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
I Have No Legs!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 12 Jul 2002 :  16:01:32
quote:

I have a Mac SE a broken CRT. The CRT is really really broken, there is a crack in it and when you turn the machine on it makes a high pitched squeal and you can see blue sparcs where the crack in the tube is. AFAIK the rest of the machine works, maybe. I am not particularly fond of fish, does anyone have any ideas of what I can do with this machine besides sending it to the trash heap?

just today i saw a 9" TV with a built in VCR in a liquidator's catalog for $139 (normally $169), i was thinking of checking it out for a hack. it just might fit!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

jscipione
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts
Posted - 12 Jul 2002 :  17:21:14
I am sorry, but I live all the way in Rochester, NY and I doubt you want to pay the shipping to have a broken SE send accross the country when you can doubtlessly find dozens at your local dump/computer trade show. Anyway, I was hoping someone had a hack suggestions, I have several other working Mac SEs and even a Mac SE/30 and a whole bunch of PC/SCSI stuff that I could hook up. If I bring an otherwise useless SE back to life do I get a merit badge or something?

Skipp

Buy a mac, it is worth the extra RISC.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Jul 2002 :  20:19:06
quote:

I am sorry, but I live all the way in Rochester, NY and I doubt you want to pay the shipping to have a broken SE send accross the country when you can doubtlessly find dozens at your local dump/computer trade show. Anyway, I was hoping someone had a hack suggestions, I have several other working Mac SEs and even a Mac SE/30 and a whole bunch of PC/SCSI stuff that I could hook up. If I bring an otherwise useless SE back to life do I get a merit badge or something?

Skipp

i think thelip may have a spare SE CRT that he might be able to sell you, but i'm not sure. Ask him...if he accepts an offer, you can stick that CRT into the SE and have another working SE.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 13 Jul 2002 :  06:13:31
quote:

If I bring an otherwise useless SE back to life do I get a merit badge or something?

Skipp

Of course you get a merit badge for resurrecting a dead SE. Actually, I think you would receive the "Medal for Meritorious Resurrection with Quadra Clusters" (or is that with "Beowulf Clusters"???) BTW, I like your sig.

Here's an "idea": Two-headed (two-monitor) configurations are a dime-a-dozen, but anyone ever try to create a two-bodied configuration with an SE/compact Mac. I'm think there must be some way to route either a digital or analog signal from the CRT-less SE over into another SE and install/make a KVM switch. That way you could control/work-with two SEs from a single keyboard/CRT/mouse front-end. You could hack-down the case of the CRT-less SE to create a monitor-less stumpy little box (like a miniature IIci-style case) that sits under the main SE with the monitor. The result would be an interesting extra-tall SE desktop unit (I'm sure danamania will have the vHack for this one faster than a wombat burrows).

Of course, you could just install a new CRT, but that would be BORING!

Happy hacking,

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 Jul 2002 :  07:14:24
quote:

I'm think there must be some way to route either a digital or analog signal from the CRT-less SE over into another SE and install/make a KVM switch. That way you could control/work-with two SEs from a single keyboard/CRT/mouse front-end. You could hack-down the case of the CRT-less SE to create a monitor-less stumpy little box (like a miniature IIci-style case) that sits under the main SE with the monitor. The result would be an interesting extra-tall SE desktop unit (I'm sure danamania will have the vHack for this one faster than a wombat burrows).

cool, sounds like installing the mobo and the analog board in a zero footprint hard disk case would work. the analog board might be hard to cut down and install horizontally tho.

how about slicing it fertically and installing the mobo parallel to the analog board in a skinner version of a MacCharlie looking installation?

http://www.mandrake.demon.co.uk/Apple/charlie.html

if it were made just wide enough to hold the floppy drives and the hard disk drives for both CPU's a CD-ROM drive could be installed under the CRT quite easily.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 13 Jul 2002 :  07:42:46
But, I am suggesting converting the old broken SE's case into a zero footprint case, so it could be a bit taller than your average under-Mac HD drive case. I'll admit that fitting/remounting the PSU/analog board of the broken SE in the lower half of its case might be problematic. Hmmmm, I wonder how much power a single SE's PSU puts out? Could it run 2 mobos, 1 CRT, 1 keyboard, 1 mouse, 1 floppy (remove the floppy from one of the SE's), and 2 HDs (replace the stock HDs with low-power laptop drives)????????

The MacCharlie config also looks interesting -- a half-wide SE that sits next to the main SE. (And, you could glue the two together to create a rare Lisa SE Dual Processor prototype that you auction on EBay for a bazillion dollars!)

Are we having too much fun yet?

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.