UNIX on 68k
 time to dust off the SE/30
Author Topic  
option8
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2002 :  14:23:14
now that i've discovered these forums, and rediscovered my copy of A/UX, i think it's high time i started to fiddle with the SE/30 i acquired on the cheap a few months ago (with a color classic at a state school surplus sale - they have these WEEKLY(!) at the local state university)

the color classic is currently running with an LC575 motherboard and comfortably playing MP3s through my stereo system, via the appletalk network. there's not much more i've planned to do with him, and i'm itching for a new challenge.

so... any suggestions or points to watch out for in trying to A/UXify the little bugger (the SE/30)?

-------
option8
-------

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2002 :  19:14:28
Lots of RAM. A big hard drive. Quite a bit of free time. Lots of patience.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE, IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100, PB 5300, PowerMac 5400
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 12 Jul 2002 :  13:30:49
Caffeine... lots of caffeine...

and maybe a big yard you can go into in the middle of the night and screen your frustrations...

I've not been having luck as yet... and right now, my Quadra 950 that I WAS going to put A/UX on has been preemted to do other things.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

option8
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts
Posted - 18 Jul 2002 :  13:02:33
well, it's working.

it thinks it's an Apple Workgroup Server '95, but it seems to be chugging along quite well with 20 megs of RAM and a salvaged 500 meg drive. i did have to bodge together an external CD ROM to install things from, but it's behaving properly so far...

now, to try and compile some things :)

-------
option8
-------Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 18 Jul 2002 :  13:58:19
quote:

well, it's working.
it thinks it's an Apple Workgroup Server '95, but it seems to be chugging along quite well with 20 megs of RAM and a salvaged 500 meg drive. i did have to bodge together an external CD ROM to install things from, but it's behaving properly so far...

My Quadra 700 is running on almost the same specs - 20Mb RAM, with a 40Mb swap partition, and a 270(ish) HD. It's certainly enough to boot and play around with!. It's also doing the external CDROM thing too.

Glad to see it works :).

dana

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.