Author Topic  
shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2002 :  07:52:33
I went a googling & came across this

http://www.micromac.com/products/speedy.html

Will it make my Quadra run at 90mhz?

Would any of us trust putting this in our machine?

shaktiman

Quadra 840av
84meg ram
2meg vram
cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)
1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(
1.2 gig drive
500 meg drive
Compaq 15" monitor
os 8.1
56k modem
Stylewriter 1200 printer
Zodiac speakers
Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2002 :  08:36:05
quote:

Not a -real- 90Mhz, but what the rest of the world would call 45Mhz - still, a bit of a boost if you're after the tiniest extra performance boost :D. A Q605 (here I go again!) can benefit from changing the oscillator - and SOME of them can handle 42mhz+... I suppose if you were into really pushing your machine to its' limits, an adjustable oscillator like that would be the go! Find out if you can go to 42Mhz... or 43.5... oooah!

:)

dana

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2002 :  08:43:29
quote:

Would any of us trust putting this in our machine?

Ack! I just looked at the price. I don't know if a 5Mhz increase is worth $49US!

btw by their measurements, your 840av is already running at 80Mhz... I -did- read the full explanation of the Mhz ratings on 040s being expressed as double once, but can't for the life of me remember it now.

And I'm too lazy to google it - its near sleeptime :D. Something similar to the old 486DX2 thing, but not exactly the same

dana

Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2002 :  12:52:27
Yes you confirmed my worst fears.

Oh well I can still dream but it is very difficult as it seems I may already have the best computer ever so how can I improve it?

Retorical question, ie:- no replies nessacary

shaktiman

Quadra 840av
84meg ram
2meg vram
cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)
1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(
1.2 gig drive
500 meg drive
Compaq 15" monitor
os 8.1
56k modem
Stylewriter 1200 printer
Zodiac speakers
Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!Go to Top of Page

aftermac

USA
80 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2002 :  21:50:16
quote:

I -did- read the full explanation of the Mhz ratings on 040s being expressed as double once, but can't for the life of me remember it now.

If I remember correctly, I thought this is because Apple was claiming the bus speed not the speed of the processor. A Q840 AV, for example, would have an 80 Mhz 040, but only a 40 Mhz bus.

Kinda like when Apple was selling 13" monitors, because they were claiming the viewable size. The rest of the industry was selling the same viewable size as a 14" monitor... the size of the CRT.

Or, a couple years ago when Apple advertised the PM G4 as having 4 expansion slots, when it actually had a 5th AGP slot.

See, Apple has always thought different.

Don't know... could just be me, I am getting tired.

Aftermac

A bandoned, F orgotten, T ortured, E ndangered, R etro, M acintosh, A cquisition, C ommando

5 Apples, 23 liberated 68k's, 9 contraband PPC's, and a Duo DockGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2002 :  21:55:16
quote:

Or, a couple years ago when Apple advertised the PM G4 as having 4 expansion slots, when it actually had a 5th AGP slot.

See, Apple has always thought different.

Don't know... could just be me, I am getting tired.

that part is not correct, they added the fith slot in the digital audio incarnation of the G4 line. before mine they all really did have four slots. (including AGP in the count with the 3 PCI slots)

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

aftermac

USA
80 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2002 :  06:15:10
quote:

that part is not correct, they added the fith slot in the digital audio incarnation of the G4 line. before mine they all really did have four slots. (including AGP in the count with the 3 PCI slots)

Yeah, that's what it was. I had the general idea though, just got the actual numbers a little confused. It was a late night.

Aftermac

A bandoned, F orgotten, T ortured, E ndangered, R etro, M acintosh, A cquisition, C ommando

5 Apples, 23 liberated 68k's, 9 contraband PPC's, and a Duo DockGo to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2002 :  12:15:23
quote:

If I remember correctly, I thought this is because Apple was claiming the bus speed not the speed of the processor. A Q840 AV, for example, would have an 80 Mhz 040, but only a 40 Mhz bus.

Do the chips not say 33 and 40 mhz, though? Well, they have those numbers on them...maybe they mean something else. But you can't find 040's that go any higher than...umm...what, about 50? Anyway, while most of the 040's for sale on ebay are from old macs, there are upgrades availble for other computers and devices and they never seem to get above 50 mhz. I don't think it's the bus speed that's being reported. Hmm, sorry for bringing up this olllllld thread but it just didn't seem right to me, and I had to say something. Oh, look what I just found out! The higher speed is the FPU speed, according to one Quaddoubler auction on ebay. Hmm, 23 minutes left, and it's only at $60...but I want the 50 mhz version! Shoot. OK, hope that clears something up (assuming it's true)

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2002 :  12:55:02
quote:

quote:

Do the chips not say 33 and 40 mhz, though? Well, they have those numbers on them...maybe they mean something else. But you can't find 040's that go any higher than...umm...what, about 50?

BEtween the last reply of mine up there and now, I'd googled the answer... aaaaaand... an 040 in an 840av is 40Mhz aaaaaall the way through. It is however, fed two clock signals - one is 40Mhz which is BusClock (bclk), and the other is 80Mhz which is pclk (one of those misleading names). It's all for keeping the timing running way accurately - and is used for keeping the edges of the BusClock signal a lot tighter - the 40Mhz signal may have a certain precision to the rise & fall of its signals - and the 80Mhz signal is used to tighten that up. One way it's used is in the FPU - where an instruction can finish on a half-bclk cycle - ie in an 80Mhz resolution, even if the FPU isn't itself running at 80Mhz. Also, internally some other moves etc could happen on a half-bclk cycle - but they'd still end up taking one full bclk cycle to complete (still running at 40Mhz). In a theoretical situation, you could have two events happening, one at bclk cycle 0, another startng and running from bclk cycle 0.5, both taking ONE FULL bclk cycle to complete but in the end both are complete by bclk cycle 1.5, whereas without the 80Mhz clock, that 2nd instruction may have to begin exactly on bclk cycle 1, and may not be able to start until the other is completely finished. Not running at double the speed, just... kind of like driving on a car with 16-sided wheels and getting a smoother ride than 8-sided ones.

Hrm. OK so it's nothing like that at all, except in the most abstract manner :). The instructions are al still executed in a 40Mhz cycle, however... the same as any other 40Mhz processor.

dana

Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2002 :  02:16:32
This is sounding fun!!

I have just sold the printer I got with the Performa & made my money back(almost) so I can just play with the Performa, would I break the Performa if I replacedthe cpu? with 040 or 060? & is the cpu soldered in place?

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2002 :  02:26:45
The CPU is soldered in, and can't be replaced.
And there's no simple way of sticking an 060 in a Mac.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.