Looking for a more stable WP platform
Author Topic  
Spyswitch00

86 Posts
Posted - 07 Jul 2002 :  11:32:42
Hey, it's the new guy again.
Thanks for looking.

For those unaware of my predicament:
I'm looking to use my Mac as a platform for Word Processing. I would like to save a document under a generic, no frills format, and then recall it on a PC or Mac at Kindos so I can print it out.

My last problem involved files that went missing on my Claris Works 3.0 prog. So I was going to download what was lost. However...

I got to thinking, if I'm looking for something that has a good exchange relationship with the PC, is there a better (more reliable) WP program than Claris 3.0? I'm thinking maybe Mac Write, or something else that people have an easier time with.

Thanks again folks for your patience.

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 07 Jul 2002 :  12:43:49
quote:

Hey, it's the new guy again.
Thanks for looking.

For those unaware of my predicament:
I'm looking to use my Mac as a platform for Word Processing. I would like to save a document under a generic, no frills format, and then recall it on a PC or Mac at Kindos so I can print it out.

ClarisWorks should be a trouble free cross platform solution, you can run a version on the PC side under windows too.

i really don't understand what your problem is, what kind of floppy drive is in your mac, 800k or 1.44MB?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 07 Jul 2002 :  12:48:14
Anything that will save as Rich Text (RTF) or Rich Text with Attachments (RTFD) will work well. In general, rich text opens well with Edit.app/MSWord/MSWorks/ClarisWorks/AppleWorks/WordPerfect/WriteNow/OpenWrite/StarOffice/AbiWord/KOffice and retains most, if not all, formatting.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE, IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100, PB 5300, PowerMac 5400
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 08 Jul 2002 :  11:35:24
Mariner Write 2 (for Mac) will save in 'Word RTF' format, too.

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 08 Jul 2002 :  11:41:28
MS Word 5.1a is personally my favorite 68k WP app, and can save as RTF, which is standard. Email me if you want a copy of it!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
I Have No Legs!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 08 Jul 2002 :  11:41:38
quote:

Mariner Write 2 (for Mac) will save in 'Word RTF' format, too.

he's focusing on the sneakernet incompatibility for now in a new thread. funny you should mention RTF formatted files one of my macs runs into a brick wall every time it tries to open one in ClarisWorks!

i narrowed it down to a PPC incompatibility in the translator IIRC.

jus' more fun and games!

jt .

Spyswitch00

86 Posts
Posted - 08 Jul 2002 :  13:57:01
Gentlemen...

I'm even more embarassed:

I don't think I mentioned that every bit of garbage that I've been polluting the Balloon Help site is coming from my trashy PC!

Perhaps this should go without mention (y'all may have figured this out).

again, wishing to rise into the ranks of, "I know what the heck I'm doing", thanks for the patience!

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 08 Jul 2002 :  14:26:23
quote:

Gentlemen...

I'm even more embarassed:

I don't think I mentioned that every bit of garbage that I've been polluting the Balloon Help site is coming from my trashy PC!

Perhaps this should go without mention (y'all may have figured this out).

again, wishing to rise into the ranks of, "I know what the heck I'm doing", thanks for the patience!

the posts and the PC are not really a problem around here, we're all here to learn, but getting the downloads of the tools to read floppies from your PC into your mac might be a bit of a catch-22 at your end of the line tho!

jt .

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.