165c help
Author Topic  
JMcC
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts
Posted - 06 Jul 2002 :  11:59:40
Hello,

Just inherited a Powerbook 165c (w/ system 7.1) and have lots of quetions. Hope I can find someone patient out there...

To start with:

The hard drive appears to be quite full. Opening the hard drive folder, I see something like "71 Mb on disk, 4 Mb free" at the top. But, if I do "More info" on all the folders in the hard drive, plus all the folders on the desktop, to find out how big they are, it only adds up to about 60 Mb. Why doesn't it add up to 71 Mb? Could there be 11 Mb in hidden files somewhere?

Thanks!

JMcC

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 06 Jul 2002 :  14:10:44
You probably have virtual memory (the Mac equivalent of swap) turned on. If you have enough RAM (8 MB or more with 7.1, I'd say), you can turn virtual memory off in the Memory control panel.

That's a pretty small drive. You might want to consider either a drive upgrade (I'm not sure what kind of drive a 165c takes) or an external SCSI hard drive.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE, IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100, PB 5300, PowerMac 5400
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

aftermac

USA
80 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2002 :  21:34:25
You also might want to try holding down the Apple(command) and Option keys simultaneously on startup to rebuild the desktop.

I highly doubt you have an 11MB desktop file, but it is good practice none the less.

Aftermac

A bandoned, F orgotten, T ortured, E ndangered, R etro, M acintosh, A cquisition, C ommando

5 Apples, 23 liberated 68k's, 9 contraband PPC's, and a Duo DockGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.