Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Balloon Help
 Help (again)
Author Topic  
Spyswitch00

86 Posts
Posted - 05 Jul 2002 :  18:49:21
Thanks to all for helping me with my "initialize disk" problem. I swapped out the drive from another machine that I had and that cured the problem -unfortunately, here's the next one:

I'm not going to be doing much with my Mac Classic other than Word Processing stuff (although I've been seeing some chatter on using Linux for e-mail and text-based browsing; this sounds really cool! -you may be hearing more about my problems? ;) )

Anyway, I would like to write on the Mac Classic, save it to disk in a basic generic-type text file, and then take it to Kinkos -I'm the type of loser that doesn't have a printer but 3 computers -2 macs, 1 PC.

I can't seem to save in anything other than Claris 3.0 (Kinkos laughed at me...). Everytime I try to save my document (on my replaced 3.5 drive, thanks to you) it says it can't find the file. I'm thinking something went missing. I would like to be able to view it on a mac or Pc. This is why I want a generic text file.

I guessing I may need to download something that either got corrupted (remember, I'm a recovering PCer) or went missing.

Any ideas?

I hope I'm being clear. (sorry for being a pain in the "A") I would love to return the favor as I...um....Learn.

Thanks !

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 05 Jul 2002 :  20:25:46
quote:

I can't seem to save in anything other than Claris 3.0 (Kinkos laughed at me...). Everytime I try to save my document (on my replaced 3.5 drive, thanks to you) it says it can't find the file.

I wish I could help there - but hardware's more my go than software... which seems a bit of an arcane art more than any kind of technology.

dana

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 05 Jul 2002 :  20:31:15
quote:

I can't seem to save in anything other than Claris 3.0 (Kinkos laughed at me...). Everytime I try to save my document (on my replaced 3.5 drive, thanks to you) it says it can't find the file.

Is it only while saving to that drive, or saving in general? I took a quick peek through apple's knowledgebase archive (useful for all kinds of old stuff) and found:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=54684

which refers to -loading- but not saving. Apparently there are a bunch of translators for claris software that help in importing documents in different types - and if the appropriate translator isn't there, y'could get a file not found message.

Perhaps in 3.0, being a bit newer, the ability to -save- as a different type can also bring about this problem?

It's all just guessing by me - hopefully some kind claris 3 guru will wander by n give a nice simple solution :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 05 Jul 2002 :  20:38:52
quote:

Is it only while saving to that drive, or saving in general? I took a quick peek through apple's knowledgebase archive (useful for all kinds of old stuff) and found:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=54684

which refers to -loading- but not saving. Apparently there are a bunch of translators for claris software that help in importing documents in different types - and if the appropriate translator isn't there, y'could get a file not found message.

sounds like very good guessing to me. do a screenshot or write down the exact error messages, i think dana's right, the only other times i've seen file not found errors is on a disk with directory problems when trying to copy in the finder. doing a save as from within an applications almost always works for me on that drive too.

sounds like it's time to reinstall clarisworks or at least the translators package.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

p.s. if you don't have the original disks, i'm sure you can download an updater for the version you have to get newer translators and a more stable rev of .cwk, there were always at least 2 - 4 free updates between major upgrades.

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 05 Jul 2002 20:42:43Go to Top of Page

Spyswitch00

86 Posts
Posted - 05 Jul 2002 :  23:31:55
Thank you all! Most helpful! Will let you know what happens.
Take care!

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.