All Forums
 Balloon Help
 iCab on IIfx (7.1)?
Author Topic  
MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 04 Jul 2002 :  12:29:23
Following the advice in the thread mathgeek started (also in the Low-End Mac Early Macs forum), I'm trying iCab on my IIfx running System 7.1.

iCab under 7.0/7.1 wants Thread Manager 2.01 and Macintosh Drag-and-Drop Manager 1.1, which were already installed but disabled. After enabling them, Thread Mgr. loaded fine, but MD&D stopped boot-up in its tracks, with the error: 'Cannot load MBDF'.

iCab seems to work without MD&D, but gives me an initial message when launching, saying that I'll miss many great features.

Two questions, before I go on a conflict-testing wild-goose chase: how essential is MD&D to iCab's operations? and is there some known problem that I can get around without conflict-testing?

iCab on the IIfx is faster than AOL 3.0 (as what wouldn't be?), but still pretty crawly. Any tips for speeding up the old box?

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 04 Jul 2002 :  18:40:57
quote:

Following the advice in the thread mathgeek started (also in the Low-End Mac Early Macs forum), I'm trying iCab on my IIfx running System 7.1.

iCab under 7.0/7.1 wants Thread Manager 2.01 and Macintosh Drag-and-Drop Manager 1.1, which were already installed but disabled. After enabling them, Thread Mgr. loaded fine, but MD&D stopped boot-up in its tracks, with the error: 'Cannot load MBDF'.

iCab seems to work without MD&D, but gives me an initial message when launching, saying that I'll miss many great features.

Two questions, before I go on a conflict-testing wild-goose chase: how essential is MD&D to iCab's operations? and is there some known problem that I can get around without conflict-testing?

At a vague guess - as I've just been playing with them myself on 7.1 - it may be worth downloading the full package for drag & drop. There's quite a bit more in there than just the one Drag & Drop extension I had existing in my extensions folder... much seems developer 'stuff' but the other extensions may be worth playing with - especially one called "Dragging Enabler". It's not too big a download

As for how essential - that bit I don't know. I'm guessing it's bits like highlighting a piece of text and dragging it to the desktop as a text clipping, or dragging a non-clickable url to the title bar... perhaps dragging pictures out of the browser to the desktop. They're features I've used under OSX, that would be covered by drag&drop under 7.1 for an app that supports them. At the moment though, my 7.1 experience is only just starting...

dana

Go to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 05 Jul 2002 :  07:01:11
Downloaded the Mac Drag 'n Drop. As you say, it's a big folder full of developer stuff, including an updated Finder, Network Extension (both 7.1.3), and a Drag Enabler extension. The D&D extension is the same, 1.1. I installed the fresh one, and got the same startup error, so installed the 7.1.3 Finder and Network Extension. No help. So I began trouble-shooting with Conflict Catcher, creating a new extensions set for testing.

What I discovered leaves me more perplexed than ever, but it IS working. The D&D extension appears to conflict with the Network extension. The start-up conflict disapears when I disable the Network extension. But, surprisingly, Appletalk and TCP/IP still work! The network works!

Why is this suprising? Because the Network extension was part of the Open Transport package that helped me to get my Dayna Etherport card working. Now it seems to be unnecessary!

And they say OS X is inscrutable. Well, at least iCab is working, sort of. Stalls at encrypted pages, crashes on some scripts (?). Is there an MRJ for System 7.1 (that was long before Java)?

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 05 Jul 2002 :  07:17:53
quote:

The D&D extension appears to conflict with the Network extension. The start-up conflict disapears when I disable the Network extension. But, surprisingly, Appletalk and TCP/IP still work! The network works!

Why is this suprising? Because the Network extension was part of the Open Transport package that helped me to get my Dayna Etherport card working. Now it seems to be unnecessary!

Put it down to "one of those things" and edge away from it slowly. While it works, it works :). Mind, OT does a lot of changes to various things which may have helped the Etherport working - some of which just mightn't be needed (for now). Oh who knows, I can only guess!

quote:

And they say OS X is inscrutable. Well, at least iCab is working, sort of. Stalls at encrypted pages, crashes on some scripts (?). Is there an MRJ for System 7.1 (that was long before Java)?

I did a quick google and found http://www.apple.com/pr/library/1997/q4/970723.pr.rel.java.html which is a release of MRJ 1.5 - at the bottom it claims "The minimum system configuration for Mac OS Runtime for Java is a 68030 or faster processor and System 7.1 or later.". Another look in Apple's karchive.info.apple.com brings up MRJ 1.5.1 requiring at least 7.5

dana

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).
[/quote]

Go to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 07 Jul 2002 :  06:18:34
Followup--

While Internet and printer access over the network work with the Network Extension disabled, file-sharing does NOT. So it would be nice to resolve the conflict between Mac Drag and Drop and the Network Extension. I wonder if a third extension or something else in the system is causing the problem, but I don't really have the time to trouble-shoot much more.

For now, I've just disabled MD&D. I get the missing features message from iCab, but otherwise it seems to run all right. Slow, though. Stalls at trying to enter a webmail page, I assume because it can't handle the encryption.

I'll check out the MRJ reference, though clawson over on the LEMac boards says that the 7.1 version is impossible to find, and not worth trying to run on an old Mac, anyway.

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.