Author Topic  
mathgeek

USA
113 Posts
Posted - 03 Jul 2002 :  11:58:15
abandoned Performa 636.... free

Apple tv/video system... $14

64MB RAM module... $17

Hooking up an s-video web cam, a VCR, an antenna, and watching television on a 68k Mac with a remote control... priceless.

I'm having so much fun with this Performa I rescued from a junk pile. I've also got it playing mp3's smoothly using MpegDec. My next plan is to hook it and my other macs up to a hub and use it for a file server (since large IDE drives can be had dirt cheap on ebay).

Anyone who doesn't have one of these with an Apple tv/video system doesn't know what their missing. You can attach it to any video source that uses s-video or RCA hook-ups. You can also attach cable television, antennae, and probably even a satelite (asuming it uses a coaxial cable). After that you can use the Apple video player to record from the source and make grainy mpeg movies with sound if you want.

I can't wait to score a Super Nintendo on ebay and get that hooked up. The crispness of the picture on an Apple monitor far exceeds that of all but the most expensive televisions. Never before has Super Metroid been beaten in such high definition!

This thing rocks!

mathgeek
68K Macs Liberated: LC, Performa 636, IIx

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 03 Jul 2002 :  12:40:00
Oh, aint it sweet! We sure scored some great stuff from that pile.

I love Super Metroid, too! I haven't played it in so long, but I love the ending...it was like watching some sci-fi movie, like Forbidden Planet or something. I have a SNES, too, and I have one of those nifty adapters that allow it to play SuperFamicom games! I even have the SuperFamicom version of Street Fighter 2 Turbo, which has all the text in Japanese, and some of the characters have different names. I'm working on getting some of the more rare SuperFamicom games off eBay, too.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
I Have No Legs!

Edited by - cinemafia on 03 Jul 2002 12:40:36Go to Top of Page

mathgeek

USA
113 Posts
Posted - 03 Jul 2002 :  14:31:24
Heck yeah, Super Metroid is one of the best video games ever made. I stayed home for a week last year with the flu and spent every waking moment playing that and Zelda. When I finally beat Super Metroid, I felt sad and wished I had made it last just a little longer.
To me, the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis were the best game consoles ever made. Sure the newer ones render 3-d junk with billions of polygon thingies, but as far as having the most addictive and playable games, I'd say SN and Genesis win hands down.

Three cheers for the Caltech junk pile! I know they have a closet full of 8100's and maybe early imacs. We might have to wait a while, but I'll let you know when Christmas comes again.

mathgeek

68K Macs Liberated: LC, Performa 636, IIx
My Powerbook 1400 page http://www.its.caltech.edu/~dgoulet/1400/index.htmlGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 03 Jul 2002 :  15:06:41
quote:
I know they have a closet full of 8100's and maybe early imacs. We might have to wait a while, but I'll let you know when Christmas comes again.

WOOHOO!!! I'll be there with a flat bed!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
I Have No Legs!Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 03 Jul 2002 :  22:45:25
Yeah, i have a video system in my 630 too. Got it for free with the Mac.

But yeah, if you don't have one, you should get one. Trinity and Neo never looked more impressive dodging bullets in front of the agents...

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 04 Jul 2002 :  10:40:07
quote:

To me, the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis were the best game consoles ever made. Sure the newer ones render 3-d junk with billions of polygon thingies, but as far as having the most addictive and playable games, I'd say SN and Genesis win hands down.

congrats, 'geek! ya gotta love those Quadra 630 based home entertainment centers!

i've had my Laser 128 playing thru my 6360's video input and it looked great as a window on my desktop. i just got a IIgs to do the same thing with, but that will also hook up to the KVM switching setup for input so i can try to play some games on my main display/input setup. maybe you could rig up something similar.

i'm hoping markymark gets the remote control in the 630-55/6500 video subsystem interfaced with mpegdec. if there's no way to control it directly on the 630 from the remote control, there has to be a way to something along those lines with the picture in picture suggestion smykes suggested over on fritter for achieving remote control of mp3 playback with a universal remote and some kind of hardware like the IIgs interfaced with the 630 i/o in such a setup.

dunno, but having 6.5k, 68k, 603e/G-3 and G-4 generation CPU's working in harmony on a single KVM/Joystick switching setup at my workstation is something i feel the need to achieve . . .

. . . and that 630/6360 video output looks DYNAMITE on my 21" monitor, even at 640x480 fullscreen! enjoy yours!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.