All Forums
 68k Hacks
 SE hacks
Author Topic  
boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2002 :  22:04:17
I got a used SE from value village for 4 dollars (cheap!). i plugged in a keyboard, a mouse, an old stylewriter and a syquest 88MB HD cartrage drive, and wired everything up in a messy way on my dining room table, flicked on the syquest drive, then the printer, then the SE. to my suprise, I didnt hear the friendly "Bing", but an angry "RRRRRRRRRRR" sound. being the compusive dissasembler I am, I dicided to...
a) see what a 400K drive looked like
b) see what was making the angry noise
I found that it was the cylindrical fan (which, mind you, did it's job really REALLY well) and it was off centre, and the vibrations were making the analog board hit the side of the case! so... I was looking at it, thinking about what I could do to fix this problem, when CRACK! four of the blades fly off! one scratched my arm (and drew blood) the second got stuck in the wall (it was going that fast) but as for the other two, I cant find them. so I shut off everything, disconnected everything from the SE and removed the fan. I have a bunch of 2 1/2x2 1/2 inch fans laying around and was wondering how I would go around getting it to work in it...

The other thing I was wondering was possible, is if I could take a momochrome LCD and put it in the case (making plenty of room for a CD drive) once someone points me in the right direction with the fan problem, I can go about putting in the CD drive. ooh... is it ok to have slot loaders sideways? I could check out the possibility of putting the slot loader along the side of the LCD screen!

THnx
"Yo quiero compar una copa del loco armarillo del leche!"

Jobf

United Kingdom
162 Posts
Posted - 03 Jul 2002 :  00:39:13
http://www.stuartbell.dsl.pipex.com/PowerCC/PowerCC.html

Down the bottom of the page, theres some Compact mods which might interest you - slot loading CD-ROM's, Optical drives etc. The rest of the site is pretty cool too!

Also, Normal SE's have an 800k drive, though late ones should have a 1.4mb superdrive (though I've never seen one)

Heres (IMO) the best SE site:

http://www.edprint.demon.co.uk/se/

Hope this helps

Cheers

Steve/Jobf

=====
Lisa 2, LC475, PB145b, PB160, PB540c, IIsi.Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 03 Jul 2002 :  07:33:08
quote:

being the compusive dissasembler I am, I dicided to...
a) see what a 400K drive looked like

Well, you won't find one there. :-) Just an 800 or 1.44mb.

quote:

b) see what was making the angry noise
I found that it was the cylindrical fan (which, mind you, did it's job really REALLY well) and it was off centre, and the vibrations were making the analog board hit the side of the case! so... I was looking at it, thinking about what I could do to fix this problem, when CRACK! four of the blades fly off! one scratched my arm (and drew blood) the second got stuck in the wall (it was going that fast) but as for the other two, I cant find them. so I shut off everything, disconnected everything from the SE and removed the fan. I have a bunch of 2 1/2x2 1/2 inch fans laying around and was wondering how I would go around getting it to work in it...

From the sounds of it, you had the original SE analog board with the squirrel cage fan. Apple replaced those in mid-production with a standard boxer fan.

Probably the easiest thing to do would be either to swap in a later analog board or, at least, get the fan mounts from a dead one.

<<<john>>>

Go to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 03 Jul 2002 :  08:23:09
Let me be a pest and remind all of you that there is a guy in San Francisco GIVING AWAY two (2) SEs with Ethernet cards (see 'Red Alert' thread in General News forum). Has anyone taken him up on this offer yet? If not, what kind of army is this?

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 05 Jul 2002 :  00:04:07
well...

Just to tell you, I put MacEnvy onto it (from the syquest), and it said it had a 400K disk drive and a 40MB hard drive, which I thought was a strange combo, and concluded someone was doing a swapping job from an older mac (probobly a plus) they are pritty large! I have found the hard drive is having problems, but only like once every 6 days, so as soon as the hard drive starts spitting out blue smoke, it'll be fine, and when that day comes, I will be replaceing it with a fancy, new 500mb drive! *Ping* (little sheen marks come off of it)
another thing... where can you find upgrade cards for it (ethernet, video upgrades, Etc.)

ThnX
"well... THIS is quite a dilly of a pickle!"

THnx
"Yo quiero compar una copa del loco armarillo del leche!"Go to Top of Page

jscipione
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts
Posted - 12 Jul 2002 :  16:42:51
I send the guy giving away the SEs an email saying I would pay the shipping for em', cause I live no where near the SanFran area. No reponse yet though.

Skipp

Buy a mac, it is worth the extra RISC.Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.