All Forums
 Balloon Help
 10 -or- 100 base networking?
Author Topic  
Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 30 Jun 2002 :  09:07:23
Now this is directly HL server reated so you may want to listen up!
I just got a CS II card for ethernet, but of course, its only 10-Base. Right now i have a 10/100 Base PCI ethernet card. Now in terms of performance over the internet, which would be better? This is going along the lines that i want to use the PCI card in anotehr machine, and am trying to save buying a new one.

Thanks!

~The Penguin

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline Server

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 30 Jun 2002 :  11:43:13
quote:

Now this is directly HL server reated so you may want to listen up!
I just got a CS II card for ethernet, but of course, its only 10-Base. Right now i have a 10/100 Base PCI ethernet card. Now in terms of performance over the internet, which would be better? This is going along the lines that i want to use the PCI card in anotehr machine, and am trying to save buying a new one.

search posts about broadband by cinemafia this week, he did a great breakdown of what's available compared to ethernet speeds.

10baseT has more bandwidth than you can fill with currently available residential broadband (i would guess that wouldn't necessarily be true if your network was saturated, but i'd be pulling that ou . . . whatever!)

short answer: 10bT's plenty

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 01 Jul 2002 :  08:37:09
Yeah, 10bT is more than enough for any currently available, residential internet provider. The only time 100bT is going to come into play is if you're...

A. Using the machine at an office where a T1 or higher is present

B. Connecting two machines together using a crossover ethernet cable or a 100bT capable hub and want to be able to copy files via AppleTalk at faster speeds (and both machines have 100bT capability)

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
I Have No Legs!Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 01 Jul 2002 :  17:38:41
ok thanks. Thats what i suspected but thought id ask here. Well its beeen dropped back, now if only my router would stop breaking and assigning random IP #'s at its whim!

~The Penguin

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline ServerGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.