All Forums
 Quadra / Centris
 Internet
Author Topic  
shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 28 Jun 2002 :  01:32:43
I am currently using "dial up" for my internet connection, but am strongly considering a faster alternative. What can my quadra 840av handle?, and what hardware and software would I require?

shaktiman

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 28 Jun 2002 :  05:04:33
If you are lucky enough to have Cable/DSL or faster, all you need is an AAUI Ethernet adapter. The Quadra 840AV has built in ethernet, and should be able to handle TCP/IP no problem.

All you need is:
- A Cable/DSL service
- AAUI adapter
- Mac OS 7.6 or later (TCP/IP control panel present. It can be done on System 7.1, but it requires MacTCP.)

The only downfall to the setup if that the Quadra is limited to 10Base-T speeds, which is much lower than that of Cable/DSL modems.

------------------
Captain Z - Mobile Operations Commander
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

20 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 28 Jun 2002 :  06:14:16
- A Cable/DSL service

A cable provider I can get

- AAUI adapter

Hmmm(questions galore)y?, how much?, what does it look like and where does it plug?

- Mac OS 7.6 or later (TCP/IP control panel present. It can be done on System 7.1, but it
requires MacTCP.)

I made sure I had os 8.1 innit!

but what is 10base-t? what speed does this limit me to? can I get a 100baset?

surley I would have to buy a cable modem or is this one of those sh**y things where they insist you rent it?

Thanks for the reply but as with all good replys it has thrown up more questions.(usually a good reply gives direction which this has)

shaktimanGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 28 Jun 2002 :  07:12:32
quote:

Thanks for the reply but as with all good replys it has thrown up more questions.(usually a good reply gives direction which this has)

LOL! you got that one right.

10baseT = generic Ethernet (RJ-45 twisted pair) 10 Megabit/sec
100baseT = "Fast" Ethernet 100 Megabit/sec
1000baseT = "Gigabit" Ethernet 1000 Megabit/sec

ymmv on the actual names, but it looks right that way!

search eBay for a piccie of an AAUI Adapter (dongle lookin' thingie)

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

p.s. if you find a 100bT NuBus card GRAB IT!!!!!!!

and if they won't ship anywhere but the U.S. or if the auction exceeds your self-imposed bid limit . . .
EMAIL ME!!!!!!

iWant!!!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 28 Jun 2002 07:18:20Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 28 Jun 2002 :  08:16:18
quote:

The only downfall to the setup if that the Quadra is limited to 10Base-T speeds, which is much lower than that of Cable/DSL modems.

Not so!
10 Base T = 10 Megabit per second.
The fastest (and very expensive) ADSL services I've seen top out around 3 megabits, and I believe that cable goes up to 7 megabits. Heck, even at uni we only have 2 Mbps onto WAIX, which gets saturated 24/7 and was only mean as a supplement to our 34 Mbps PARNET microwave link.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 28 Jun 2002 :  08:32:00
Yeah, 10bT is waaay faster than any broadband services currently available to the general public. Even in Japan, where you have the fastest residential ISP's in the world, the best I know if is 8Mbps Cable.

Oh, and here's what an AAUI to RJ-45 adpater looks like. They're actually very plentiful on eBay.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
I Have No Legs!Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 28 Jun 2002 :  08:39:45
I have seen local internet cafes offering 2 megabytes per second, is this the same as megabits?

so lets basic this thread...

I currently have 56k ie:56 kilobytes per second, can I have 512 kilobytes per second? can I have 2 megabytes per second?

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 28 Jun 2002 :  08:54:32
1 megabyte per secong = 8 megabits per second, therefore most speeds quoted are actually mega/kilo bits, which seem like a bigger number.
56k modems are actually 56 kilobits per second.
You should be able to get 512 Kbps or 2048 Kbps DSL, check your local ISPs offerings.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 28 Jun 2002 :  09:01:28
quote:
I have seen local internet cafes offering 2 megabytes per second, is this the same as megabits?

Well, most likely they're actually offering 2 Megabits per second and you mistook it for 2 MegaBytes per second. And no, they're not the same.

I know we've done this before, but here it is one more time:

Bytes are represented by a captial "B"

bits are represented by a lower-case "b"

There are 8 bits in every Byte, therefore 2 Megabits per second is equal to 250 KiloBytes per second.

quote:
I currently have 56k ie:56 kilobytes per second

Actually, right now you have a theoretical max of 56 Kilobits per second, which is equal to about 7 KiloBytes per second.

quote:
can I have 512 kilobytes per second?

In order to get this speed you'd have to find a provider of 4 Megabits per second TCP/IP. Such providers do exist, but they are quite expensive and probably not available in your area.

quote:
can I have 2 megabytes per second?

No. This would require 16 Megabits per second, and I dont knowe of any residential broadband providers anywhere in the world that offer this. More important, your Quadra can only handle 10 Megabits per second without a so-rare-it's-not-worth-looking-for 10/100 Nubus ethernet card.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
I Have No Legs!Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 28 Jun 2002 :  09:15:26
Yes I think you are right.

I feel I have a good grounding now to argue with isp's and to say no I can have more than 128kbps.

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.