68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Balloon Help
 Key Command for Manual SCSI Device ID Startup?
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 29 Nov 2001 :  14:15:17
Hey, what's the key-command to boot from a different device on the SCSI chain? I know you use the number of the SCSI ID, but what are the other keys you use?

Also, anybody know the SCSI ID jumper settings for an Apple OEM 500MB hard drive (would have shipped in a 7100)? I can't find them anywhere and I'm having a female dog of a time getting it set to anything other than zero.

Lieutenant EL CINE, 666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Master of the Mac II series forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 4

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 30 Nov 2001 :  09:50:17
command (Apple ) + option + shift + delete?

i'm think thats the command to bypass the startup disk...

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Edited by - FireWire is fast on 30 Nov 2001 09:50:55Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 30 Nov 2001 :  11:06:08
I'll have to try that. My Duo 280 went south just a few minutes after I successfully got it online using my office T1, and I can't seem to boot it up from an external drive like I used to. It just keeps trying to use the internal drive but obviously the system got corrupted somehow.

Total 68K Macs liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 30 Nov 2001 :  21:38:36
I was able to boot the Duo up off a CD-ROM using the Norton Utilities 2.x CD (which has System 7.6.1 on it), and the internal drive isn't even mounted. I haven't been able to boot it up from an external hard disk because the 500 megger I had in my "miniDrive" went south too, and I can't initialize it. So, I took the 230MB that I'm going to be selling and I put a clean install of OS 8.1 on it, but then somehow the system file got corrupted so now I'm doing it again, then I should be able to boot the Duo from it and see what's wrong with it's internal disk. If it's dead, that means so is my Duo. It would make no sense to try to find a good 2.5" SCSI drive on eBay, when it would cost about the same as another 280 or even a 280c...

Whee...

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 01 Dec 2001 :  00:01:07
pressing Command+Option+Shift+delete during bootup causes the Mac to ignore SCSI ID=0, which is the default ID of most internal HD's. The Mac will then search the SCSI chain in ascending order till it finds a drive in which it can boot from. If the formatting holds... this is how you set SCSI ID's on 90% of drives...

SCSI ID AO A1 A2
ID = 0 OFF OFF OFF
ID = 1 ON OFF OFF
ID = 2 OFF ON OFF
ID = 3 ON ON OFF
ID = 4 OFF OFF ON
ID = 5 ON OFF ON
ID = 6 OFF ON ON
ID = 7 ON ON ON
Enable Termination TE = ON
Disable Termination TE = OFF

68k MLA ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 01 Dec 2001 :  08:01:10
The difficult thing is getting jumpers. I used a few thin strands of wire twisted together, then tied aroung the pins. You could also bend/solder them together for permanancy.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 01 Dec 2001 :  20:32:34
There are a lot of pins to put jumpers on...I'm not clear as to which ones that Flash was talking about correspond to. A0 A1 A2?

I have a conner drive that looks like this: : : : : ` : : : : : :

And a few apple drives that look like this: ` : : : : :

I assume that since they have the ` : : : : in common, those must be the ones, but that's 5 choices. Are the first 2 A0, the next 2 A1, then A3, then TE? What's the single by itself?

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ Macs liberated: 6 }
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 02 Dec 2001 :  04:10:09
On the Apple drive I did, the pins were :::|:, I think. A0, A1, A2, TE. They were right up against the short edge of the HD.

*Pulls out SCSI HD*
You're gonna have to pull off the sled/mounting thingo.
This one's a Quantum, and as you turn it upside down with the SCSI connector towards you, there's a small mounting block near the bottom right with three sets of jumpers. No sign of termination, although there it could be on J13.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 02 Dec 2001 :  19:11:10
Oh, these jumpers are on the bottom? I was looking at the line of em on the front. OK, my apple drive has 4 sets on the bottom, labled with E1-4. I guess E1 = A0, E2 = A1 etc and maybe E4 is TE?

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ Macs liberated: 6 }
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 03 Dec 2001 :  02:24:58
E1-4 = A0...etc?? *shrug*

I have some links to drive manufacturers on my Mac page if you're stuck for info.

68k MLA ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 03 Dec 2001 :  10:49:18
I found the jumper setting for the 500MB drive on IBM's site (it's an IBM OEM drive) and I was able to set it to ID 1. However, the drive is being wacky and I can't even initialize it. I tried using the 230MB drive instead with a clean install of 8.1 on it and it wouldn't boot either, it just gives the question mark when I use the key-command to skip ID 0. However, if I put an external CD-ROM with System 7.6.1 and use the skip command, it boots fine. Only, the CD-ROM doesn't have any diagnostic tools like Drive Setup and Disk First-Aid on it in order to mount and repair the "dead" internal drive. I'm going to try putting the System 7.6.1 on the 230MB drive instead of 8.1, see if that'll boot it up.

Quazy!

Ho-hum...

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.