All Forums
 Balloon Help
 Dead PowerCD
Author Topic  
bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2002 :  05:36:52
My long awaited PowerCD has turned up...and seems to be a deader. It turns on OK, but when I put a disc in and try to play it the LCD says ERR. In fact, thats the ony response I get to any of the controls.

It would be a shame to lose this, as its one sexy looking bit of kit. Any ideas on how to resucitate her?

Cheers!
CC

Air Marshall, 605 sQUADRAn

Quadras: 9, LCs: 6, Other 68Ks: 2, Contraband: 7, PCs: Is you mad?

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2002 :  18:58:18
sounds like the drivers may not be loaded or working.

hook up a pair of computer speakers or headphones and see if it'll play a music CD.

mine will display the err code before displaying "data" sometimes even when it works successfully.

you might need to uninstall/turn off the drivers for the standard CD if you're using it on a CD equipped mac.

have you set it up with one of the extra microquadras with a clean system install? i'd test it that way first.

you're not giving a lotta sys config for a trouleshooting attempt there, 'sadhu!

jt

=8-}

Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2002 :  22:07:13
quote:

you're not giving a lotta sys config for a trouleshooting attempt there, 'sadhu!

jt

=8-}

Ummm... there's no more to give... I'm trying to use it as a standalone unit ATM, running on batteries (yes, they are new), plugged into external speakers.

Shouldn't this work?

I will try it hooked up to a mac though this WE.

Cheers JT!

C

Cheers!
CC

Air Marshall, 605 sQUADRAn

Honest-to-god, by-the-book liberations: 13, Other 68Ks: 5, Contraband: 7, PCs: Is you mad?Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 21 Jun 2002 :  20:03:34
i have seen at least one post somewhere saying that they won't work off battery power, dunno, sounded strange, but i've never actually tried it. i think the original product was purchased from a french company and sold under the apple label. could there have been a AA sized battery with a different voltage in europe at the time? i'll check out my power supply when i get back in town tomorrow and see if it's the same voltage as the total of the AA cell count, and see what kind of results i get with AA cells.

have you downloaded the drivers and manual?

jt

=8-}

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.