General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 Questions, questions
Author Topic  
MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2002 :  05:34:01
I'm confused. Please enlighten me:

Are rank and stars appropriated at will and whim, or are they earned?

If earned, who awards them?

Do 68K Macs you purchased in the 68K era count as 'liberated'?

Does helping someone else resurrect a 68K Mac count as a 'liberation'?

Why are the forums hosted by an outfit that seems to be selling term papers to lazy, unethical, plagiarizing slobs (not 'students'--'student' is an honorable term)?

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2002 :  06:00:35
quote:

I'm confused. Please enlighten me:
If earned, who awards them?

They're automagic, given by the number of posts you've posted :)

quote:

Technically prolly not - but it sounds good. Actually somewhere this was discussed, that macs bought in good condition from someone who cared for them also, don't count as liberated - but since they do count as Our Macs We Love, they're not anything less :)

quote:

It can be a new category :D. coliberation(?)

quote:

Why are the forums hosted by an outfit that seems to be selling term papers to lazy, unethical, plagiarizing slobs (not 'students'--'student' is an honorable term)?

...I've wondered why it's here myself

d-d-d-dana

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2002 :  06:01:12
1) 'Member' ranks and stars are set by post count at this stage.
Custome titles are given to moderators.

2) No, sorry.

3) Yes! It's an integral part of being an expert in 68k!

4a) The outfit offered to host us for free, and he already had a set of forums software that we could quickly swipe.
b) LitClassics doesn't sell, it provides a free service.
c) Papers are for the research purposes only. Honestly, if your teacher can't tell a completely copied paper, they deserve students doing it! Such term paper sites can be extremely useful if you are doing a fairly rare topic and you manage to find someone who did something close to what you are.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2002 :  07:17:28
quote:

[quote]

Technically prolly not - but it sounds good. Actually somewhere this was discussed, that macs bought in good condition from someone who cared for them also, don't count as liberated - but since they do count as Our Macs We Love, they're not anything less :)

[quote]
People actually get complete ones? Wow! :-)

I was starting to wonder if I was strange in that almost every Mac I've got/had has come into my hands either dead, stripped, or both.
(I'm actually starting believe that a Mac isn't "mine" somehow unless I've had to almost totally rebuild it.)

Come to think of it, I think the closest I've ever come to getting a "complete" box was the $5 IIci 20/80. At the other extreme is my 840AV which came to me as just a case/PS.

<<<john>>>

Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2002 :  16:29:40
all my macs have come off of greacy dusty dirty shelves and basements. They are all in good condition except for fading and my LCII has a crack in the lower-left corner on the front of the case near the apple logo. My SE also didn't come with a keyboard. I guess I don't really have any liberated macs by your definitions. *sob* Well maybe I have one.

Website(closed):
http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINEGo to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2002 :  17:04:45
I think you're slightly confused - it's not a Liberation unless it' obvious that the Mac has been unloved - it seems to me like yours fit the criteria well!

Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2002 :  17:52:20
So in other words I have to set my liberation count to 6, 3 of which are contraband and all of which, bar my LC, cost me money.

--
Mark Benson

FlatPackMacs http://fpm.gotdns.com

2nd Lieutenant - 68kMLA, LC Quartermaster
Flat Packing Macs for 68k MLA airlift excercises
Macs Liberated = 14!Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2002 :  20:28:06
Did somebody forget to read the F.A.Q.?

http://homepage.mac.com/mla68k/faq.html

--------------------
keeper of the website , master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™, and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2002 :  21:20:47
quote:

People actually get complete ones? Wow! :-)

I was starting to wonder if I was strange in that almost every Mac I've got/had has come into my hands either dead, stripped, or both.
(I'm actually starting believe that a Mac isn't "mine" somehow unless I've had to almost totally rebuild it.)

Some of mine have been definite rescues - others are perfectly cared for machines that just swapped minders :). My 605 (y'all knew I'd raise this...) server was a liberation I believe, as it came to me filthy, from a PC auction house who "didn't know about macs" and was sold as having broken vide0, for $5. On the other hand another 605 I bought was sold for $20ish and was in spotless condition inside & out :)

The most liberated liberation was my IIcx - which had been through a flood, had a mouse nest (and associated droppings!) all through it - which worked fine after a good round of TLC :D.

dana

Go to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2002 :  10:07:44
quote:

c) Papers are for the research purposes only. Honestly, if your teacher can't tell a completely copied paper, they deserve students doing it!

Maybe good high-school teachers who know their students well can tell; college TAs? I doubt it.

quote:

Such term paper sites can be extremely useful if you are doing a fairly rare topic and you manage to find someone who did something close to what you are.

This is sophistry. At the very least you're letting someone else do your research, when the whole point of a research paper is to learn to do your own. More often, you're just plagiarizing.

At least there's some justice, if you can swipe their software.

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2002 :  17:03:45
quote:

Maybe good high-school teachers who know their students well can tell; college TAs? I doubt it.

You have a point there, and considering a lot of the essays up there are from the Australian curriculae they would be of some use to US college students.

Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 21 Jun 2002 :  11:01:46
so, if i payed for them they can't be liberated, eh?
well, now i only have one liberated mac. the one I didn't pay anything for. The LC.

Website(closed):
MyForumOnDelphi:

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 21 Jun 2002 :  11:05:27
quote:

Can we consider it as bribing the guards?

<<<john>>>

Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 21 Jun 2002 :  11:07:34
quote:

quote:

Can we consider it as bribing the guards?

<<<john>>>

LOL

Website(closed):
MyForumOnDelphi:

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 21 Jun 2002 :  14:32:09
Well, I paid [correct spelling] for all my 68K Macs, and although they were used they fetched a pretty price at the time ('used' was all I could afford; my first new Mac wasn't a Mac exactly: it was a UMAX J700 clone). So I haven't liberated any 68Ks, but I have kept mine safe from landfills and crushers.

Two or three years ago I did help a young fellow (c. 11 yrs old) resurrect a Plus from the sidewalk. I never saw the machine, but corresponded with him by e-mail, and sent him system and other software to get it going. Don't know whether he kept it or whether it ended back out on the sidewalk, but perhaps this was a 'liberation' of sorts.

Oh well.

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2002 :  04:22:12
quote:

Depends. If the Mac was in bad condition (aka it was dirty, broken case, or completely dead), and you clean it up, get it going, and return it to active duty, then yes, it is a liberation, even though you paid for it.

Get my drift?

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.