68k Hacks
 Nintendo-Quadra-Server!
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 17 Jun 2002 :  09:10:46
I've removed all the internal components from my LC 475 and I'm now in the process of hacking part of it into the empty remains of a Nintendo NES (original 8-bit). I need a Dremel tool to complete the conversion, but essentially the LC 475 Mobo fits perfectly into the bottom of the NES case, and the PSU will be affixed to the inside celing of the case, along with a single, 3.5" x 1" SCSI drive.

The only real problem right now is fitting the neccessary LC PDS ethernet card inside the case. I don't actually have an LC NIC yet, but when I do get one, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have a tough time fitting it...but I'll figure out something. Since the box will function as merely a server for Hotline, FTP, or other features, it won't have a monitor or keyboard/mouse attached once setup in its permanent location.

I do have one small question: I need to swap chips with a non-working Quadra 660av, to give the 475 Quadra 605 status, but I don't know how to pull the chips without damaging them. Any suggestions?

P.S. - Why all the fuss? Well, although the LC 475 is one of the slimmest cases around, I wanted something even smaller. Something that can go anywhere and still serve like nobody's business.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
I Have No Legs!

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 17 Jun 2002 :  09:21:02
quote:

I do have one small question: I need to swap chips with a non-working Quadra 660av, to give the 475 Quadra 605 status, but I don't know how to pull the chips without damaging them. Any suggestions?

For official from-apple as-they-came Q605 status - just change Jumper J18, near the motherboard scsi connector :D. However I guess you mean stick an FPU-040 in one, so's it also has an FPU?

I did mine by getting a thin sharp knife and wedging it along one side of the 040, and lifting a little bit - mebbe a millimetre (under 1/8th of an inch), then do the same on the other side... and then go around continually to whichever side/corner is still stuck in the most. Soon it'll just be sitting on top of the socket and will fall off - lifting one edge too high before the rest will bend a LOT of pins - oik. I did this on one of my 040s.

LC PDS NICS are flat-as, and should be pretty decent fits for MOST situations!

dana

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 17 Jun 2002 :  09:29:48
Alright, thanks Dana! I figured the wedge trick was best, but glad to hear that it works without frying anything!

And, you're right, I was looking at some of the pics on the Japanese site you linked to, and the LC NIC should fit inside the NES case OK. It'll be a tight squeeze, but it should all work in the end.

Oh yeah, specs! The 475 is currently configured with 20MB of RAM and a 1.9GB hard drive, but eventually I want to have at least 36MB of RAM and a 9GB hard drive!

I Have No Legs!Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 17 Jun 2002 :  09:59:06
quote:

Oh yeah, specs! The 475 is currently configured with 20MB of RAM and a 1.9GB hard drive, but eventually I want to have at least 36MB of RAM and a 9GB hard drive!

What is it with you guys and HD space! wau! :D. anyhows... It will be an excellent lil server with that kinda speccage. Will it just be doing files, or file/web/proxy n other stuff?

Debian would run nicely on it, AND give you proper quick TCP/IP appleshare :D

dana (*IX is *EXXY) :D

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 17 Jun 2002 :  10:01:39
I was planning on just doing Hotline, but now I think I'm also going to do FTP serving on it to give me a good amount of file swap-space for my existing website.

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 17 Jun 2002 :  10:56:51
quote:

And, you're right, I was looking at some of the pics on the Japanese site you linked to, and the LC NIC should fit inside the NES case OK. It'll be a tight squeeze, but it should all work in the end.

I just peeked at one of my LC ethernet cards. If you look at the top of the PDS slot on your LC475... the card rises about 1/3 of an inch above that - and most of that height is in the thickness of the connector on the card. should fit pretty well anywhere the motherboard does :).

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Jun 2002 :  17:17:39
quote:

I just peeked at one of my LC ethernet cards. If you look at the top of the PDS slot on your LC475... the card rises about 1/3 of an inch above that - and most of that height is in the thickness of the connector on

the BrickOven artwork is full size in illustrator, the PDS NIC's show nicely in the newest rev. just look at the front view. you could probably scale the peg, but i can email an ai or pdf if you want to take a look.

http://homepage.mac.com/jwt1863/.Pictures/HACKS/BrickOven/BrickOven35.jpg

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 24 Jun 2002 :  11:05:25
I'm still waiting on a Dremel-tool and an LC PDS NIC to complete the QyadraNEServer...oh woe is me...

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.