Quadra / Centris
 Netscape&myQuadra
Author Topic  
shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 15 Jun 2002 :  13:33:57

quote:

It stalls after it's gotten the whole page loading and it has to render the page. You've
probably noticed that the stalling occurs with larger pages more than with smaller
ones. Only a faster processor will shorten the delay.
quote:

my cpu is too slow?

We shall see

quote:

Oldmacman reckons my cpu is too slow[:-(]

I think that their is more to it.

Netscape could probably be improved.
how else can I make my computer faster? but I dont consider £60 for a dodgy overclock to gain 8 mhz ie:-48 mhz to be worthwhile.

are we considering a Nubus rocket card? can it work with my Quadra whilst running os 8.1?

shaktiman

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 15 Jun 2002 :  14:53:02
If you really need speed, use the Mac version of Lynx or some other text-only browser. Browsing works a lot quicker when the browser doesn't have to render pages with images. For acceptable browsing with graphics-intensive pages, you need at least a 120 MHz PowerPC, in my opinion. Though the 840av is quite possibly the fastest 68k Mac, and it has excellent video capabilities, it isn't quite up to the task of browsing the graphically complex web in this day and age.

As to Netscape being improved, I think it's close to the best it can be. Considering all of the standards and protocols it supports, it's still pretty darn quick. iCab doesn't feel that much faster than Netscape, and it has a lot less features.

Official Music and NeXT Expert
Member of 68kMLA GMCFMW (Grounds Maintenance Crew For Minimum Wage)
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/

Macs Liberated:
SE, IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100, PB 5300, PowerMac 5400
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 15 Jun 2002 :  18:57:15
shaktiman, how much RAM does the 840av have? If you have plenty to spare, you might want to consider manually allocating more to Netscape.

I'm not really a fan of Netscape in the first place, have you tried Microsoft Internet Explorer 3?

--------------------
keeper of the website , master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™, and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 15 Jun 2002 :  19:18:32
IE 3 is an excellent choice of browser. It has the best balance of speed and compatibility of any of them. It's a bit buggy and crashes some, but it's time that you'll save by using a version 3 browser over a version 4, ESPECIALLY netscape. It just sucks

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Jun 2002 :  19:26:55
quote:

IE 3 is an excellent choice of browser. It has the best balance of speed and compatibility of any of them. It's a bit buggy and crashes some, but it's time that you'll save by using a version 3 browser over a version 4, ESPECIALLY netscape. It just sucks

internet EXPLODER sucks! feh! mordorsoft! ptui!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 15 Jun 2002 :  19:54:43
Don't use IE. It sucked until version 5, which won't run on a 68k.

Macs Liberated:

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 15 Jun 2002 :  22:01:33
quote:

IE 3 is an excellent choice of browser.

Great minds think alike, eh?

--------------------
keeper of the website , master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™, and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 16 Jun 2002 :  14:55:48
I intend to steer well clear of internet explorere at all costs;

on my pc what happend was I set up prefewrences & then IE changed the preferences as is with most pc software as far as I can tell what the hell is the point in being able to set preferences when the next program run just rewrites them?

bloody stupid and causes my computer to crash, the only successful pc is one that is set up and that is not a pc(personal computer) as it has somebody elses preferences on it!!!

why the hell is a pc called a bloody pc? well have you ever known a pc to serve one person personally? not me!

all the pc's I have ever known have served a family, educational establishment or a bussiness. so perhaps someone should sue pc makers as I have never known one to be used as a personal computer.

I have given Netscape lots of memory, at about 50 meg it seems happy and reluctant to use more but if I allocate a higher amount then my system tends to crash.

shaktimanGo to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 16 Jun 2002 :  16:30:34
A personal computer simply refers to a computer that's designed for use by a single person, as opposed to a workstation, server, or mainframe, a computer that's set up for use by multiple users.

Macs Liberated:

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.