Balloon Help
 .TXT email and internet? (non-web)
Author Topic  
Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 Jun 2002 :  13:26:18
i was just wondering if dialup (bbs style) email is available or is a basic web impaired account the only entry point available.

i've got a 5260 road apple to set up for my brother as an email machine. the LOAD of goodies i picked up the other day included a Teleport Platinum V to stuff into it.

i just want to set it up as a basic snailnet email system and toss on basic wordproc, checkbook and some graphics goodies. if he wants to do dialup any faster, he'll have to get his own real modem or wait for a better one to fall into my lap. i'm hoping he'll probably decide to buy a real mac instead of going over to the dark side when the time comes! (i can be sneaky at times! )

i think earthlink might be a better choice than America Offline, which i use when pressed to, but despise.

tia,

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 13 Jun 2002 :  14:27:52
There are still BBS-style email services. For several years, our family got e-mail using Pine with MacKermit. Old versions of MS Works for Mac also had a communications function built in. Check with your library to see about text-only service. Our library does something called COIN (Columbia Online Internet Access) which offers free text-only internet. Others do the same.

Presiding Music and NeXT Expert

Macs Liberated:
SE (with SuperDrive), IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100, PB 5300, PowerMac 5400

PCs liberated from Windows: 3Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 13 Jun 2002 :  14:32:39
Man...there just is no such thing anymore, JT, unless through a school, library or some kinda home-grown server!!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
I Have No Legs!

Edited by - cinemafia on 13 Jun 2002 14:34:17Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 Jun 2002 :  15:50:25
quote:

Man...there just is no such thing anymore, JT, unless through a school, library or some kinda home-grown server!!

then it looks like they'll get a chance to try browsing on a roadapple at 24k baud on a dialup connection.

B,,,,,,,,L,,,,,,,,,E,,,,,,,,C,,,,,,,,H,,,,,,,,!,,,,,,,,

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

p.s. please excuse the modem init string humor,
senility is taking its toll!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 13 Jun 2002 15:52:20Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.