68k Conquests
 Status of Recon mission...
Author Topic  
macaphile
Starting Member

USA
28 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2002 :  17:44:36
freed Q800 from certain doom, no HD but seems ok.
3 sets of system 7 disks unused w/ licence
Norton U. Version 3 (I think)
1 bit video card no idea but seems cool
16" apple monitor
2 button ADB mouse
Cool NEC 1x external cd-rom that seperates from a base

Unable to rescue but mission being planned:
1-2 more 16" monitors
1-2 Apple 2 page portrait monitors (sweet!)
1 huge freaking monitor that I can't figure out

I will keep you updated...

"Holy crap! A Mac can do that!"-Every PC user I talk to

68K MLA: Black OPs

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2002 :  21:29:12
Cool! Good job.
1 bit video card? Nice.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 13 Jun 2002 :  20:15:21
quote:

1 bit video card? Nice.

Did somebody forget to go to a certain Monitors control panel?
Or, even better, does somebody have a dying PRAM battery?

--------------------
keeper of the website , master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™, and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------Go to Top of Page

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 15 Jun 2002 :  15:22:49
1-bit video cards really do eixst, I have a Monchrome MAc II video card in one of my IIci. Apple made them as expansions for the original Macintosh II to add a second screen, something totally unfounded and things in that day and age. The may also have been for large format Apple Monochrome screens though.

--
Mark Benson

FlatPackMacs
http://fpm.gotdns.com

2nd Lieutenant - 68kMLA
LC Quartermaster
Flat Packing Macs for 68k MLA airlift excercises

Macs Liberated = 14!Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 15 Jun 2002 :  18:10:19
quote:

1-bit video cards really do eixst, I have a Monchrome MAc II video card in one of my IIci. Apple made them as expansions for the original Macintosh II to add a second screen, something totally unfounded and things in that day and age. The may also have been for large format Apple Monochrome screens though.

1-bit is different than monochrome. 1-bit is LITERALLY ONLY black and white - early PowerBooks had 1-bit passive-matrix screens.

Monochrome is several shades of black and white (ie: lots of different greys). So 4-bit monochrome would be 16 different shades, 8-bit would be 256 different shades, etc...

--------------------
keeper of the website , master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™, and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Jun 2002 :  19:14:10
quote:

Monochrome is several shades of black and white (ie: lots of different greys). So 4-bit monochrome would be 16 different shades, 8-bit would be 256 different shades, etc...

technically, monochrome is single bit black and white, green and white, etc. just as line art is on or off, it has become synonymous with grayscale over the years as monochrome has, for all intents and purposes, dissapeared as continuous tone graphic standards proliferated!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 16 Jun 2002 :  17:46:00
Yes, but monochrome, when you thing about it, corresponds to one chroma value, as in HSL colour space. So while it traditionally means 1 bit 'colour', you can take it to mean greyscale.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Jun 2002 :  18:27:00
quote:

Yes, but monochrome, when you think about it, corresponds to one chroma value, as in HSL colour space. So while it traditionally means 1 bit 'colour', you can take it to mean greyscale.

lets go to the video tape:

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/M/monitor.html

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=3515

grayscale is a special case in the monochrome class, qualitatively there are three fairly distinct classes of monitors and calling a grayscale piece of equipment monochrome would have been disrespectful back in the day, if not suicidal in terms of marketing. in popular use today, i would tend to agree with you, but from that, or a marketing standpoint, anything goes. in tech support, a little more precision in terminology should be encouraged, iof not required, IMHO.

jt .

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 17 Jun 2002 :  06:07:46
I don't know what you guys are bleating on about but my Apple Monochrome Mac II Video Card only does Black & White and that's it. Zip. Nadda. Nothing else.

--
Mark Benson

FlatPackMacs
http://fpm.gotdns.com

2nd Lieutenant - 68kMLA
LC Quartermaster
Flat Packing Macs for 68k MLA airlift excercises

Macs Liberated = 14!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Jun 2002 :  07:44:01
quote:

I don't know what you guys are bleating on about but my Apple Monochrome Mac II Video Card only does Black & White and that's it. Zip. Nadda. Nothing else.

yup, that's what the second link i posted above said. i have a Panasonic PanaPro interface from the IIx/Rocket system, it drove their 19" monitor with two pages worth of B&W pixels. i LOVED it after working on the SE. therw was a grayscale card available for it from somebody (maybe Lapis, dunno) that Total Systems offered, but i've never had a chance to get one, i'd love to, the monitor and IIx are still in storage.

jt .

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.