All Forums
 Lounge
 So Long and Thanks for all the Fish
Author Topic  
G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2002 :  07:34:36
I thought my last posting for a few weeks (going on VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY MUCH needed vacation) should reflect a bit of the insanity that I feel right now about Life, the Universe, and Everything. Vanman2004's sig definitely loaded up all my Douglas Adams Extensions. And since Adams was a Mac-user (and I am an Adams-reader), I thought that a few questions regarding Macs in Adam's universe might be in order.

BTW, and if you haven't read the 4-book Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy then: 1) Sorry for this posting which will make you go HUH? and 2) GO GET THE SERIES AND READ IT RIGHT NOW!

1) Did the Vogons get so cranky and mean because they were forced to use Mordorsoft software?

2) Is the little Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy device actually an super advanced OSX-running Newton? (with "DON'T kernel PANIC" written in large friendly letters)

3) Will Aqua eventually become that multidimensional hyper-intelligent shade of blue?

4) Do peril-sensitive sunglasses turn jet black around peecees?

5) Is bistromathics optimized for Altivec? (If not, would that make the ship go faster?)

6) Is the Sirius Cybernetics company actually the interstellar successor to Microsoft Corp? (those doors with "Positive People Personalities" sure remind me of the help wizards/talking Mac/talking paper-clip of MSoft apps)

7) Does the Restaurant at the End of the Universe have an Airport network so that Mac-using patrons can surf the universe-wide-web while waiting for the show?

8) Do really cool froods use their towels to help carry home liberated Macs?

Anyhoo, there's more of these stored in the old wetware, but I gotta get some work done. And I'm sure others out there will have their own penetrating/bizarre/funny/incomprehensible mangled mergers of Douglas Adams and the Apple Macintosh

See ya in July,

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial Symmetry

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2002 :  07:39:32
bon voyage!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2002 :  09:36:59
Heh. Did you know that in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective agency, Richard (the main character) owned 7 compact macs and one Mac II, and that DNA wrote the whole book on a Mac Plus?
Have a great vacation!

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2002 :  10:20:56
Have fun, and don't stay gone for too long!
SpaceBoy
PS I've heard rumors of both a final (unfinished?) book in the Hitchhiker series, and a new movie/tv series based on the Trilogy... anyone else heard about this?

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
PMac 7100/G3-266, "DEC Rainbow" and "Altair 8800"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
iMac Rev.A/333mHz, "Deep Blue"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2002 :  11:01:38
quote:
I've heard rumors of both a final (unfinished?) book in the Hitchhiker series, and a new movie/tv series based on the Trilogy... anyone else heard about this?

The new book is called The Salmon of Doubt, it is a very unfinished book with only 72 pages of an actual story. The rest of the book is basically interviews and speeches given by DNA. I didn't hear about a TV series though.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2002 :  12:18:28
Didn't Retromac68k used have a copy of the old "Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" video game?

Website(closed):
http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINEGo to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2002 :  13:29:02
quote:

Didn't Retromac68k used have a copy of the old "Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" video game?

Yes, it did. It is also on the 68kmla server/mirror.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2002 :  15:44:30
AHEM: thre are FIVE books in the hitchhikers trilogy:

the hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The restaurant at the end of the Universe
Life, the Universe, and Everything
So Long, and Thanks for all the fish
Mostly Harmless

Salmon of Doubt is the new book, which has all sorts of essays, speeches, notes and partially finished works of Mr. Adams.

I play the old Infocom adventure on my OS X box useing Frotz, the Z file interpreter. I also own the HHGGTG floppy disks (for DOS 3.0, 5.25" floppies)

I will answer your questions, although this is not gospel.

1) Did the Vogons get so cranky and mean because they were forced to use Mordorsoft software? Most likely, yes. It also looks like their ships were built in a garage.

2) Is the little Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy device actually an super advanced OSX-running Newton? (with "DON'T kernel PANIC" written in large friendly letters) ... It's more like a eMate, running a super-advanced Newtion OS, with wireless Sub-Ethanet.

3) Will Aqua eventually become that multidimensional hyper-intelligent shade of blue? Only when our monitors use a giant prism to refract it.

4) Do peril-sensitive sunglasses turn jet black around peecees? Only if Windoze is running on it. If not, they stay clear so you can install Linux.

5) Is bistromathics optimized for Altivec? (If not, would that make the ship go faster?) Well... I would say that flying around in a giant sausage is a RISC.

6) Is the Sirius Cybernetics company actually the interstellar successor to Microsoft Corp? (those doors with "Positive People Personalities" sure remind me of the help wizards/talking Mac/talking paper-clip of MSoft apps)... t's Genuine People Personalities, and that would explain Marvin... He was smarter than any of the other systems, and thus could recognize just how dreadful his OS was (being Mordoor based) and was thus depressed.

7) Does the Restaurant at the End of the Universe have an Airport network so that Mac-using patrons can surf the universe-wide-web while waiting for the show? If so, I'd suggest that you power down before the actual moment of death occurs... otherwise your poor Mac might get a "DEATH!" signal over the network and you'd have Sad MAcs for (after) life.

8) Do really cool froods use their towels to help carry home liberated Macs? only if you sass how, but other hoopies might look at you funny if you start sucking on the corner of the towel when you get tired of carrying a Q950 in it.

~MarchieGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.