All Forums
 LC / Performa
 Uses for a pizza box
Author Topic  
Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 26 Nov 2001 :  23:08:14

okay, don't get me wrong. I love the pizza box LCs, but I'm wondering how much use they really are. A Quadra is a more powerful workhorse or server, a II-series is more expandable and usually more powerful, and a classic-style is more compact and portable. So where, in today's world, does an LC fit in?

Sgt. Tallgeese
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 3

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2001 :  01:04:36
Take out the motherboard and throw in a LC475/Q605 board. Now you've got a Quadra! 475's ROCK!

68k MLA ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2001 :  07:20:59
....or you could try this http://cgi.ebay.com.au/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1302925354

(hey, quick question, how do I make the link look like this??

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2001 :  14:44:05
LC475s, when maxed out, make compact and powerful workstations, and they can be an excellent machine for hacks.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2001 :  16:56:49
quote:

(hey, quick question, how do I make the link look like this??

by clicking on this

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2001 :  17:00:45
quote:

A Quadra is a more powerful workhorse or server, a II-series is more expandable and usually more powerful.

II series = 68030
Quadra series = 68040

Quadras are faster.

As far as expandability goes, you can have the best of both worlds with a Quadra 950: 5 nubus slots, 16 RAM slots, external 5.25 bay, 33 MHz 68040, RCA audio out

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator

Edited by - FireWire is fast on 27 Nov 2001 17:02:31Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 27 Nov 2001 :  18:47:31

I meant a II series is sometimes more powerful and usually more expandable compared to a pizzabox, and a Quadra is a more powerful server/workhorse compared to a pizzabox.

Sgt. Tallgeese
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 28 Nov 2001 :  05:37:37
Oh you mean like this! Doh! Sometimes I wonder how I even know how turn on my Mac!

I'd have to agree with all of the above. Most 030' are very expandable and there's lots of scope. With the LC475/Q605 for example you have a choice between hmmmmmm one slot, or one slot. Which means you either get ethernet or a second monitor.

I once owned a IIci with two ethernet cards (although I never got them both working simultaneously), a 2nd monitor, FPU and 17MB RAM. That's pretty good for a IIci! But having said that, I just can't deal with anything slower than an 040. It's too slow and painful and makes me smoke too much while I'm waiting for something to happen. My 475 is my favourite, but I had a lot of fun with my C650- I had three monitors at one stage! Anyhow, nowadays I'm mostly using PC's or my 8600/G3, or the Dual G4 at work (which I must say is a very nice machine but it has equal quirks to any other Macintosh!).

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 28 Nov 2001 :  23:01:04

Well, based on this information, I think I'll stick to expanding my II-series and compact-series inventory. mmm... dreaming of a bank of SE/30s.

Sgt. Tallgeese
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 29 Nov 2001 :  08:38:12
quote:

It's too slow and painful and makes me smoke too much while I'm waiting for something to happen.

you smoke? that's not very healty **tisk tisk**...now go eat some granola

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 30 Nov 2001 :  23:53:49
smoke, drink and sometimes take illicit drugs, but apart from that I am perfectly normal!

fish

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 10 Dec 2001 :  00:32:55
Keep your pizza warm! Or hide when parents come to see you at college.:)

jeremy

"If we go down the shitter the whole ecosystem goes down the shitter."

-Steve Jobs

My AOL, AIM Sceen name is got 007s milk

Covert Ops, N.F.C Newton Force Captain

Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Captain Video
Starting Member

14 Posts
Posted - 29 Dec 2001 :  22:05:11
it wasn't that long ago I quit using my performa 460, which was essentially a Mac II. Still good for Word processing, email, surfing the web.

Like I stated elsewhere, in 1991 the LC IIs were the top computer in the Mac lab at my college, they were excellent. I used MS Word, of the time, on them, it wasn't much differnt then today's version of Word (less annoying features) and it would be a good Word Processor or use it for Excel.

There is soooo much software for the 68K Macs, and it doesn't all run on newer Macs. There was a great sound lab, you could take a voice and add echo, lengthen the sound, add reverb, ect. We made our beagle sound like the hound of the baskervilles... quite eerie actually.

Do a seach under "old Mac software" or "68k software"

The original arcade games Defender and Joust had Mac versions made around 1994 or so.

I mentioned the other things before, indexable storage, phone answering machine, home controller, etc.

Go to Top of Page

Captain Video
Starting Member

14 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  01:33:01
I might add, as I just posted elsewhere, give your pizsa box Mac to your parents, grandparents, good friend who lives in another state. They can get free email and keep in touch.

If fact, it just now hit me that I have been trying to get a friend in another state on email with her family PC, but she doesn't know how. So I can send her a Pizza box Mac with a MAC to PC display adapter, all set up free email, or her local ISP, and all she has to do is hook it up to the phone line.

And yet a few more ideas for pizza box Macs

The nice thing is alot of programs for these older Macs are now freeware, you can get fun programs you normally wouldn't pay for:
Search the web, there are tons of old programs for Mac IIs. Things you never thought of, audio shapers, turn your computer into a systhesizer, heart monitors, ect, ect,

Keep your kids, nephews, ect, off YOUR computer, give them a Mac II as their own computer

If you have old floppies and no drive on your new computer...

A garage computer. I got this idea from the local Ford dealership. They have older computers for the mechanics to look up things, so the new office computers don't get dirty.

Should be to use a webcam and save pictures every few minute or so, good for home monitoring or security. Or record sounds.

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  10:26:39
Great ideas, Cap'n. Oh and by the way, the Performa 460 is actually an LC III under it's skin, not a Mac II!

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.