All Forums
 Lounge
 I really need iMac help, please!
Author Topic  
TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 09 Jun 2002 :  14:10:32
I have posted everywhere and no help, MAF, Apple forums, Macrumors, and now this is my last hope, sorry if I did post something about this before but I forgot and I search and there has been the word iMac in overl ike 3000 posts so I am sorry if I already did.

Problem(s): I have tried to update the firmware on my iMac and it does nothing. I start the installer, shut down, then wait 15 secs and go through holding the programmers switch and I get the beep but when I start up I am told it did not work and to try again, I have tried many ways to update it and process's and nothing, can you help? Could it be the PRAM or the issue I am having with my hard drive below? Reason why I need to upgrade is that when I go to install 9.2 I need the update. My boot ROM version is 3.0.f3. Well I don't have an installer but 9.2.2 for Mac oS, I used a old Powerbook Pismo restore disk to mount the image off the disk and copy system files, so I guess this turns into what is up with my hard drive.

I have a iMac 266mhz and my hard drive will not boot on it's own. When I start up there is a folder with a happy face/? blinking, I then enter a bootable cd and it stays at a happy face then refreshes the screen, with only a gray screen I pop out the cd and I get a disk with a ? on it, then after 10-20 secs it picks the hd up. Did that help, boy this thing is killing me because I can not use Mac OS X.

I have tried Disk Warrior, Norton Disk Doctor and all the utilities, Drive Setup, in which I update the disk driver, taken out hard drive and tried another and got same issue, hit the cuda switch, tried selecting it in the start up control panel, unpluged everything and tried getting firmware to update, all of which nothing, can anyone please help? Btw if I didn't already mention my analog board is dead so I use an 14" Apple Vision external on my iMac and my system light is always Amber colored.

Sorry if my explaination did not make too much sense, It was mostly copy/paste from other forums because I would die to write out everything again which would be like the 100th time! Thanks Guys and Gals!!!

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:18
ENTER THROUGH THE GATES

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 09 Jun 2002 :  14:41:30
I bet the dead analog board is the source of the problem, it probably confuses the entire boot process when your iMac can't find its monitor (I know I'd freak out if I woke up with a dead analog board in the morning ). When you insert the bootable CDROM, that probably generates an interrupt that gets around the hung bit of boot code in the ROM. (I assume that your iMac NEVER finds the HD by itself if you just wait long enough?)

Suggestions:
1) Try the programmer's switch step of the ROM update/install AFTER you do your CDROM trick that makes the thing find the HD.
2) Or, if IMac ROMs are removable??? Then find a really really really good friend with an iMac, install your ROM in their machine, update the ROM, then transplant it back to your machine.
3) Or, fix the analog board.

Hope you get to flash your ROMs,

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 09 Jun 2002 :  15:17:54
Well you have to do the firmware update before the CD boot thing, I might just take out analog board and try that. Any other suggestions?

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
ENTER THROUGH THE GATESGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 Jun 2002 :  15:39:13
quote:

Well you have to do the firmware update before the CD boot thing, I might just take out analog board and try that. Any other suggestions?

there are some iMac power connector posts over in hacks on fritter that are interesting. i had asked the power adapter guru which boards i'd need from an A/B rev iMac to set up a hack in something else using the griffin card for video/serial. that might shed some light on your problem from the board POV, dunno.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 09 Jun 2002 :  15:42:29
Well, if it is one of the first iMacs, there is a Mac monitor port under the plastic cover in the back that the built in monitor plugs into. You could always try unplugging the built in monitor and hooking up an external monitor(The port says "NO MONITOR" over it, which I take to mean that something bad could happen if you plug in a different monitor there, so I would only try if there is no other choice.)

On a side note, has anyone ever tried to get a printer or something to work on the serial port that is under the back cover?

AnubisTTP, Tank Commander, Bolo Division
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:21Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 09 Jun 2002 :  16:08:45
Well I do have an external monitor a Apple 14', they are on all tray loaders except iMac LCD

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
ENTER THROUGH THE GATESGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.