All Forums
 Quadra / Centris
 Whatnext4myQuadra840av
Author Topic  
shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 07 Jun 2002 :  03:21:17
I am thinking to get a new hard drive for my Quadra 840av.

I am interested in pro's & con's with regaurd to:-

Internal/external

driven by a nubus card?

I want a large(30 gig or more) hard drive and I want it to be fast.

I went to apple video player in the apple menu & it said "you will not be allowed video in this many colours, I have millions or is it thousands of colours. I have the top setting.I remember talk about a nubus card with regaurds to this, what card should I look for?

I have to go to work:-(

I dont like my work:-(

I want to sit on the computer all day:-(

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

shaktiman

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 10 Jun 2002 :  16:18:18
quote:

Internal/external

Internal, definitely. There is another bay, as you probably guessed when you had he cover off last, that requires a drive sled to fit a disk to it.

quote:

driven by a nubus card?

Yes. See if you can get a NuBus FWB Jackhammer card. It musters 11MB/s read and 9.5MB/s write (both sustained) on my 840av using a pair of UW SCSI drives in a RAID 0 array. If you can't find one at the right price I can try for you, I got mine very cheap from the US.

quote:

I want a large(30 gig or more) hard drive and I want it to be fast.

For this you need to spend some money. Either you get a large UWSCSI Drive, which will cost you a fortune in the UK and probably be overkill for what you have (I know mine are - I'm pulling them over to a G3/4 when I eventually get one). The other option, which worked well for me, was an ACARD SCSIDE Bridge. If you buy the £70 model from www.pc500.net that is in a metal tray that fits under the hard disk and has a 68-pin connector (DON'T get a 50-pin - they are dog slow - I know I have one) and a decent 7200rpm 40GB ATA/100 drive (about £50) you should be sorted. Hang it on a Jackhammer and it should perform nearly as well as a 7200rpm UWSCSI disk.

As far as using the drive is concerned I recommend you try and fine a copy od Mac OS 8.1 as this allows much better use of large volumes using HFS+. You will need to assign a small volume at the beginning of the drive, about 500MB is a good amount, to boot from however as a 68k Mac can't boot from a HFS+ volume. HFS+ is only necessary if you intend to store lots of small fies on the drive. If you want to record large video files HFS is faster and is sufficient.

quote:

I went to apple video player in the apple menu & it said "you will not be allowed video in this many colours, I have millions or is it thousands of colours. I have the top setting.I remember talk about a nubus card with regaurds to this, what card should I look for?

The reason it says this is because you have the screen resolution and the number of colours set to HIGH. The 840av divides what VRAM is installed in the machine in half, using one half for the Desktop and the other for video. The desktop, however, overrides the video segmenr so if you set the desktop resolution and colour depth too high it will stop the video working.
If you want a NuBus video card bear in mind that the machine will only play video from the AV system on the ONBOARD video port or an external video device (a TV or VCR) attached to the AV out port. You can not do video work on the machine with just a monitor on the Nubus card, as I discovered.

--
Mark Benson

FlatPackMacs
http://fpm.gotdns.com

2nd Lieutenant - 68kMLA
LC Quartermaster
Flat Packing Macs for 68k MLA airlift excercises

Macs Liberated = 14!Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 11 Jun 2002 :  08:11:30
You're making me look bad SVP! lol j/k

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
I Have No Legs!Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2002 :  03:25:00
I am ignorant:-(

Your reply scared me & I just wanna give up.

Anyhow I will start at the basics and my next purchase is a printer, the hard drive thing is not urgent.

how can I update my signature?

I have:-

a Quadra 840av £56
500 meg hard drive(boot) included with Quadra
1.2 gig Hard drive(hfs) £20
os 8.1 £20
56k modem £86(dont ask me couldnt get one then tried analogic at least I now have one, pain in the backside and ups delivered I think but they lost it for about 4 days!)
compaq pc monitor(15" I think) already had it but db 15 to pc monitor adapter cost £8
86 meg of ram(I ordered another 64 meg but it has got lost in the post!) £34 I think for 64 meg
2 meg vram £16 for 1 meg I think( two 256k @ 80ns and two 256k @ 100ns.

Hardly the best result I have paid about £100 over the odds I recken.

adb mouse
adb keyboard

shaktimanGo to Top of Page

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2002 :  16:45:00
quote:

You're making me look bad SVP! lol j/k

Come on Cinemo, your still the Don (pardon the Mafia pun ) when it comes to AV work with the 840av. I just happen to have a lot of recent experience playing with hard disks in one

quote:

I am ignorant:-(

Your reply scared me & I just wanna give up.

I know it all seems a bit confusing but that's probably just me!

Is it the price or the complexity that scared you?

I think having a love of the 840av is a very expensive addiction. I have spent more on it than any other Mac.

--
Mark Benson

FlatPackMacs

2nd Lieutenant - 68kMLA
LC Quartermaster

Macs Liberated = 14!

Edited by - SiliconValleyPirate on 12 Jun 2002 16:47:02Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2002 :  17:06:33
quote:

I think having a love of the 840av is a very expensive addiction. I have spent more on it than any other Mac.

i don't see the big attraction, don't spend any money on the POS! just turn it into something useful like a SCSI tower for a righteous microquadra!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 13 Jun 2002 :  08:16:09
quote:
I have spent more on it than any other Mac.

I haven't spent quite as much on mine as I have on my 7500, but still a lot for a 68k...

The Quadra 840av itself = $13

Four 32MB 72-pin RAM SIMMs = $50

FWB JackHammer SCSI Nubus card = $50

SuperMac SpigotPower Nubus card = $30

Two 4.3GB Ultra-Wide SCSI drives = $45

One 2GB Ultra-Wide SCSI drive = $15

Four-devide high-density 68-pin SCSI cable = $15

AppleVision 1710av monitor = Free!

And I still need a DigiDesign audio card, four 256k VRAM SIMMs and a caddy-loaded CD burner for it to be complete!!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
I Have No Legs!Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 13 Jun 2002 :  11:02:03
Yeah... you all wait... if I can get this damn Quadra 950 to accept A/UX installed, I'm wireing it in parrelel with Dormouse and the 8100 for some serious network insanity...

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 13 Jun 2002 :  12:26:08
The price a bit scary but more the tech.

I shall try for the nubus jackhammer thingy but then reach for an internal scsi hard drive, but what size? I just wanna plug it in.

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 14 Jun 2002 :  04:51:26
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2030264853

Is this the sort of thing I am looking for?

I thought it said scsi nubus card, lol well this hilights the level of my ignorance.

What is isdn?

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 14 Jun 2002 :  05:28:05
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2031310941

Or do I want this?

where would I go for info on these things?

I will get there I just need to become more familiar.

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 14 Jun 2002 :  06:24:05
quote:

I don't see the big attraction, don't spend any money on the POS!

I swear I'm gonna do something nasty to you one day mate Quite dissing the best 68k Mac (performance wise) there is and face the fact that, cute though the 605 is with it's feets and stuff, it's not the Don. Anyway, the 840av has feets too, and there bigger Why not write a MicroQuadra website anyway istead of finding un-creative uses for ppls 840av?
I'm sorry to sound like I have the knives out of the drawer but that joke is wearing a little bit thin, it's like the 3rd time you've cracked it and it's not helping any of us.

As for shaktiman, hang around for a while. I'm writing a website for 840av users. I'm going to try to make it a bit clearer, hopefully with Cinemo's help, so you and others are clear bout these issues.

--
Mark Benson

FlatPackMacs

2nd Lieutenant - 68kMLA
LC Quartermaster

Macs Liberated = 14!

Edited by - SiliconValleyPirate on 14 Jun 2002 06:26:07Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 14 Jun 2002 :  07:38:23
quote:

I'm sorry to sound like I have the knives out of the drawer but that joke is wearing a little bit thin, it's like the 3rd time you've cracked it and it's not helping any of us.

hiya, sorry, that's been a running joke between cinemo and myself since we spent a lot of time getting to know each other whle posting back and forth many afternoons while ironing out I/O strategy for his 840AV HDD subsystems before you enlisted.

i'd like to aplologize now to any 840AV afficianados who weren't privy to the joke, i can see now, how it could be quite annoying. i have NOTHING against the 840AV whatsoever, many of the troops have been ribbing each other, pitting the 950 and the 840AV against each other in a mock "tastes great/less filling" (thinly veiled slotcount jab! ) debate. it makes for a lot of good-natured fun as far as i can tell. but, as cinemo didn't respond with a wisecrack when i made the silly additions to your list, it might be wearing thin even with him. if you want me to stop, i will.

no disrespect was/is intended toward anyone or their favorite machines, it was all inteded to be "in good fun" and i guess it wasn't. i really thought you had seen enough of the exchanges to know what was up, SVP, i apologize for annoying you and wish you well in your efforts on the site.

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 14 Jun 2002 07:41:19Go to Top of Page

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 14 Jun 2002 :  10:09:38
quote:

hiya, sorry, that's been a running joke between cinemo and myself since we spent a lot of time getting to know each other whle posting back and forth many afternoons while ironing out I/O strategy for his 840AV HDD subsystems before you enlisted.

Explains a lot

quote:

i'd like to aplologize now to any 840AV afficianados who weren't privy to the joke, i can see now, how it could be quite annoying. i have NOTHING against the 840AV whatsoever, many of the troops have been ribbing each other, pitting the 950 and the 840AV against each other in a mock "tastes great/less filling" (thinly veiled slotcount jab! ) debate. it makes for a lot of good-natured fun as far as i can tell. but, as cinemo didn't respond with a wisecrack when i made the silly additions to your list, it might be wearing thin even with him. if you want me to stop, i will.

With some over-clocking and a phatter CPU the 950 wins in brute force wars and slot wars but it's got no damn style

quote:

no disrespect was/is intended toward anyone or their favorite machines, it was all inteded to be "in good fun" and i guess it wasn't. i really thought you had seen enough of the exchanges to know what was up, SVP, i apologize for annoying you and wish you well in your efforts on the site.

Non taken. It's just I'm getting a little peeved with that joke. I guess you maybe touched on a raw nerve too, I've spent a lot of cash ion the old 840av - here's a breakdown (sorry it's oin UK Sterling):

Machine (w/ 500MB HD, 32MB RAM) - £50
Hard disks - £110 (considered a long term investment)
NuBus Jackhammer - $20 (£14)
SpigotPower AV - $14.99 + $20 (£25)
Thunder IV card - £20
2x32MB RAM - £25

--
Mark Benson

FlatPackMacs

2nd Lieutenant - 68kMLA
LC Quartermaster

Macs Liberated = 14!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 14 Jun 2002 :  11:14:57
quote:

quote:

Explains a lot

i thought it might!
quote:

With some over-clocking and a phatter CPU the 950 wins in brute force wars and slot wars but it's got no damn style

i beg to differ, as a classic pickup truck (full size/8'bed) kinda guy, i prefer the 950's capacious utilitarian style, but i can readily appreciate the lines and handling characteristics of an E type jag when i see one!
quote:

Non taken. It's just I'm getting a little peeved with that joke. I guess you maybe touched on a raw nerve too, I've spent a lot of cash ion the old 840av . . .

the joke is actually based on the maniac's very creative SCSI tower vhack, a matched pair of mid towers might someday find its way into my shop.

matter of fact, i once suggested to cinemo that he disembowel his 605 or LC (don't remember which) and stand it on end next to his 840AV as a matched expansion chassis within the confines of his workstation, so i'm not even playing favorites!

nothing is ever really wasted in the enjoyment of a useful hobby/learning pursuit, you should hear what i think about apple breaking the hooks that enabled rocketshare when they killed that first cloning experiment after i had sunk thousands of dollars in that technology IRL!

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 14 Jun 2002 :  14:15:20
I didnt get the joke at all, but I work on the shop floor so it just rolled of me back.

How could a 68kmac be better than the Quadra? they just arnt.

now about this os yes the dammned interminable apple os, my head is in my hands.

ahhh a software post is fermenting.

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.