I have decided on going for the duo.

280c is it the top of the range?
Do they have 1.44 meg floppy?
Stabdard internet?

I just want general asdvice.

What size screen can I have?
How much memory can I have?

thanks for your help sofar

for that kind of info you (editorial, anybody kinda "you" not just "you in particular", shak!) should really go to the links section on the website and do your own research in applespec and on LEM or equivalent!

that's the way all the knowledgable comrades cut their teeth on this stuff. use the troops to flesh out or to help in developing a sound understanding of the basics from poring over and comparing the specs of the various models. THEN, turn to your comrades for interpretation, nuance, and personal experience perspective.

IMHO, of course!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  13:48:48
1. Yes.

2. No, none of the Duos have internal drives, as they are made to be small and light. You can add an external floppy with a Floppy MicroDock (Duo PDS to HDI-20 adpater) and Duo floppy drive.

3. Most have internal 14.4k modems, but these generally don't work. Internal modems have a strong tendency to become useless after a while. You can access the internet, however, by either getting an external modem (one that's powered by an ADB port, like the Supra 288, is especially nice) for dial-up or by getting an ethernet port for DSL/Cable/Satellite. Ethernet ports come in three flavors: The NewerTech MicroDock (small and rare), the NewerTech or other brand EtherDock (medium, uncommon) or the DuoDock (large/desktop, common). The DuoDock usually has built-in AAUI ethernet and/or you can put in an ethernet Nubus card.

4. The 270 and 280 series have an 8.4". The 210, 230 and 250's came with a 9". It is possible to swap the color LCD from a 2300c onto a 280c, giving you a whopping 9.5", but 2300c screens are difficult and expensive to procure.

5. The 280c maxes out at 40MB of RAM, which is only attainable by getting a hold of a 36MB Duo RAM chip. These are highly rare, and when they do appear on eBay, they are generally shot way out of reach by Duo-fanatical Japanese bidders. I have a 28MB chip in my 280c, giving me 32MB or RAM. I paid a lot for it, but not even close to as much as I've seen the 36MB chips go for. However, even with OS 8.1's memory-hungry code, I've noticed that 32MB is really more than enough for mostly everything I do.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  13:56:38
quote:

1. yadda
2. yadda
3. yadda
4. yadda
5. yadda

LOL! <rolleyes> . . . and then again . . . relieving cinemo's boredom at work might be considered active duty!

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

p.s. just reread my post decided i should stress the fact it is not intended as criticism of asking questions or the number of questions commaanly asked.

it is intended as a suggestion for a much better way to develop ones own insight into the strengthes and weaknesses of each particular model, peripheral or OS. even the most knowledgable of comrades returns often to Applespec for refreshers or to firm up the data upon which to base a personal judgement.

gaaak! i'm freakin'tired! ok, gang, coherence check time, do dat make sum cents?

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 03 Jun 2002 14:07:31Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  13:59:36
quote:
. . . relieving cinemo's boredom at work might be considered active duty!

Hey, I've got a reputation to uphold here!

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  14:08:37
quote:

Hey, I've got a reputation to uphold here!

=8-P

jt .

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 04 Jun 2002 :  09:29:23
It is fair enough comment to say go do your own research, at first that is.

I need help cos my quadra isnt fast enough and this is being rectified, but I spent 2 hours yesterday looking up stats on various machines.

It may be a bit cheeky but I know cinemafia's knowledge is good and he communicates well and he can tell me the short cuts, what isnt in the manual, but he is so comprehensive that someone who has never heard of "duo ram" or "powerbook ram" or any other bizzare gubbins what can I say I would employ cinemafia for Apple Mac 68k Format.

Perhaps my sometimes inane often basic questions can be seen as training, and trash is good too.

shaktimanGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 04 Jun 2002 :  09:37:33
quote:

It is fair enough comment to say go do your own research, at first that is.

i'm glad you got my point, it's actually a great idea to ask for somebody to point you in the right direction for your research in the beginning too. i'm glad you weren't offended by my comments.

the basic research is something i strongly feel that everone needs to do for their own and the MLA's benefit, then cine' can spend his time rounding out the education of troopers such as yourself in more advanced level training rather than doing basic training.

besides, i was tired and grouchy yesterday! (still am for that matter!)

ask away anytime, you've got the right attitude, comrade!

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 04 Jun 2002 09:38:47Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 04 Jun 2002 :  09:41:48
quote:
what can I say I would employ cinemafia for Apple Mac 68k Format.

I'll work for peanuts! Well, no, not really. Maybe some fancy cashews, though.

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 04 Jun 2002 :  09:57:54
quote:

I'll work for peanuts! Well, no, not really. Maybe some fancy cashews, though.

more salad, less fatty, salty foods, 'mo!

<general address mode>

i also want to make sure that asking the most basic questions are fine! just don't expect everything spelled out, a great lead on where to find the basic answers leads to more discoveries in the learning process. a really detailed specific answer may be faster, but lacks any collateral benefits for the overall education.

it's not the kind or level of a particular question that ever becomes a problem, it is more of an attitude that only a specific kind of spoon fed, full answer that would not require any further effort on the part of the inquirer should be expected on a constant basis.

</general address mode>

i in no way intended to imply this kind of attitude in yourself, shak!
i was addressing an attitude that i don't want to see develop in general.

does that make sense? i think i'm finished now!

jt .

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 04 Jun 2002 :  10:07:16
quote:
more salad, less fatty, salty foods, 'mo!

Well, at least I'm going to the gym again, 3 days a week in fact! I've grown soft and weak over 2 years of sedentarism and it's time to tone back up!

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  13:17:44
Yes this is exactly the "correct" attitude for my mind for these forums.

I have grown up alot in the past two years and have learnt that working "with" people is probably the most important concept that exists.

I also know that sometimes asking blatently inane questions can really get some very usefull reactions.

I will get a duo now.

shaktimanGo to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 07 Jun 2002 :  14:40:06
My Duo has seen squat in the way of use since I got my Newton 2100... it's like a Duo with a smaller screen, I swear!

I have a micro-dock, but without ethernet. I would like an ethernet one tho... although with the word processors (yes, there are 2), and web browsers on my Newton, I've been trying to figure out why exactly I need a laptop. I can't use AIM on my Newton... there we go.

But the packet radio idea sounds rather interesting. I want to live on a tugboat, and get maritime sattelite net access, although I've read that packet radio works well too.

~Marchie

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.