All Forums
 Lounge
 Ham/CB/Scanner Radio stuff wanted
Author Topic  
TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 01 Jun 2002 :  01:13:03
I have taken a wide interest in radio, I want to be able to listen in on cops, normal radio stuff, talk to people, and hear the National Weather Service! Tell me if you got any stuff to do this with and gimme a price, thanks!

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:18
ENTER THROUGH THE GATES

Edited by - leemac on 04 Jun 2002 08:12:22

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 01 Jun 2002 :  16:36:48
TiMacLover, please take into account that Ham radio's are to be used only with a licence. if you are interested in Amateur radio then try to get in contact with your local club, or try QRZ.com, or search for the ARRL (Amateur Radio Relay League) in any search engin. I thought I would warn you before you go talking on the air without a licence, and then get cought by the FCC.

KC8MRS

68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Newton Squadron Commander
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Jun 2002 :  17:16:19
quote:

TiMacLover, please take into account that Ham radio's are to be used only with a licence. if you are interested in Amateur radio then try to get in contact with your local club, or try QRZ.com, or search for the ARRL (Amateur Radio Relay League) in any search engin. I thought I would warn you before you go talking on the air without a licence, and then get cought by the FCC.

good advice! take it, Ti!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  08:37:21
How weird, I was really into CB when I was your age, Ti! I saved up for a portable CB radio and took it with me everywhere. Pretty much all I ever heard were truckers, but it was cool. I wish I still had that thing, I'd give it to you!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  15:56:26
Yea radio seems very interesting, I was even thinking getting my friends to get one (maclover5 too!) and talk over that, who needs AIM!

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:18
ENTER THROUGH THE GATESGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  16:21:04
quote:

Yea radio seems very interesting, I was even thinking getting my friends to get one (maclover5 too!) and talk over that, who needs AIM!

is that internet phone stuff still working, that'd have to be a LOT more efficient. see-me-see-you kinda stuff would be kinda fun too!

don't get me wrong, radio's very cool, i've got a good friend who'se been in it forfreakin' ever! (and no, we never met marconi! =8-P)

nehoo, atmospherics would have to be just right for CA-AUS comms i would think, dunno really, but a lil' serious research on the basics is in order before windowshopping for new toys, Ti!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 04 Jun 2002 :  07:32:17
Radio's fun, but you do need a license. Since they dropped the Morse Code requirement to 5 WPM for all classes, it's easy to get. You learn some basic electronics and bands in which you can operate, and you take a test for your license. CB doesn't require a license, but you're only allowed 5 watts of power and the channels are really crowded. If you really want to talk to people, get an older HF transceiver and a big dipole and use 20 meter SSB. You can talk to Europe, South America, and Asia on 100 watts (from the US).

KC0BIB

Radios liberated (not for sale):
Hammarlund HQ-129X (full of tubes)
Gonset G-50 (also full of tubes)
Kenwood TS-820S (only 3 tubes in the PA)

Presiding Music and NeXT Expert

Macs Liberated:
SE (with SuperDrive), IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100, PB 5300, PowerMac 5400

PCs liberated from Windows: 3Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 04 Jun 2002 :  07:41:54
quote:

If you really want to talk to people, get an older HF transceiver and a big dipole and use 20 meter SSB. You can talk to Europe, South America, and Asia on 100 watts (from the US).

very cool, i didn't see any mention of AUS, tho. is that still a little too far 'roun'onna other side of the mudball, or does that work too?

jt .

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 04 Jun 2002 :  07:53:14
hey, mod! this thread is turnin out a lil' loungy for this venue too!

time to fling the sucker?

jt .

LeeMac
Trading Post Commander

USA
202 Posts
Posted - 04 Jun 2002 :  08:08:19
quote:

hey, mod! this thread is turnin out a lil' loungy for this venue too!

time to fling the sucker?

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Agreed!!!!

** Loads fling-omatic and presses the button, Motor whirrs up and I pull the lever and Fllliiinnnggg!!!! Topic lands in lounge

General LeeMac M.A.C ( Mac Action Commando) Phantom OPS
Trading Post Commander
68k's Liberated 0004
www.68kmla.comGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.