68k Peripherals
 Small Haul
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  16:24:42
Just got back from the thrift store, where I scored a clean (looks brand new!) Apple Design Keyboard, two ADB curly-cables and a serial cable, all for $2. Oh, and I also got aomething actually kinda neat!

It's a Supra-Express 28.8k external modem, but the kind designed to be used with a PowerBook! You plug one end of it's double-headed cable into the serial port, and the other into the ADB port for power! It even matched the slate-greay of my Duo! Now I can dial-in and surf at twice the speed of the internal modem, and without having to worry about a second power supply.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  20:35:39
Wow! A "small" haul? Small in price! Appledesign keyboard all the way! Those things sold for something like $100

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  08:46:12
I now have 3 Apple Design keyboards! The one I just got looks brand new, the one on my Quadra 840av I cleaned and painted black, and the other (that's probably going to go on my ColorClassic) is probably the filthiest keyboard I've ever seen. I don't feel like taking it apart and cleaning it, though, after doing that with the one I painted black. That sure is a lot of work!

P.S. - I'm going to test out the portable, 28.8k modem today!

Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  13:36:43
It's not just a PowerBook modem; you just don't have to plug it in. That was the first modem I ever had; I used it to get on the internet (with graphics) in 1995 with my IIsi. It came with Faxcilitate (fax software) and Microphone (terminal emulation). If you need any of the original software or anything out of the manual, I'll gladly help you.

Macs Liberated:
SE (with SuperDrive), IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100, PB 5300, PowerMac 5400

PCs liberated from Windows: 3Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  15:11:48
Oh I know, it's only because it perfectly matches the grey color of most 68k PowerBooks that I would assume that it was created specifically for them. That and the fact that it's small, and doesn't need an external power source.

If you have software/drivers, I'd love to have them! Email them to me or upload them to Quadra's HL server!

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  16:23:51
Well, I tried out the Surpa 288 and it works BEAUTIFULLY on my Duo! It's a great thing, actually, because as I learned the Duo's internal 14.4k is fried (as is common with internal modems from the 68k era). I think I may end up doing an ADB port hack (or something similar) to the space where the internal modem currently resides like the maker of the Fire-Book Mana.

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 07 Jun 2002 :  07:43:10
What a small haul!

http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINE
AIM:scchicago87
Yahoo!IM:scchicagoGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.