PowerBook
 Duo Docks
Author Topic  
Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  11:35:26
I'm looking to get a Duo 280c for packet amature radio and for playing 68k games on the road, and I was wondering if there was a dock that would just hook onto the back of the Duo, so I could still use the screen, but has an ethernet port. Kinda like the Bookendz ones for the pismo and powerbook g4's. I need this so I can hook the Duo into my little mac network at home, but dont want to have to buy a big monitor for my already crowded desk.

68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Newton Squadron Commander
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  12:42:52
The item you would be refering to is the Duo MiniDock from Apple. or the Newer Technology Ethernet Microdock. Either of them use the LCD screen of the Duo, provides Ethernet. The difference is the MiniDock is a full array of ports (for external monitor, serial, AAUI ethernet, ADB, and SCSI), where as the Ethernet Microdock is only RJ-45 Ethernet and ADB. The MiniDock is much more suited for a home base station setup, where as the Ethernet MicroDock is more of a 'on-the-road' design.

The Ethernet Microdock is fairly rare, and will probably cost you more than $50 on eBay. Same with the Apple MiniDock

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

18 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  12:47:17
I retract what I said about the Duo MiniDock. From this picture I found on eBay, there is no Ethernet port on the back of the dock. Therefore, your option is the Ethernet Microdock. Sorry for the confusion.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

18 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  12:58:09
quote:

I retract what I said about the Duo MiniDock. From this picture I found on eBay, there is no Ethernet port on the back of the dock. Therefore, your option is the Ethernet Microdock. Sorry for the confusion.

actually, it's somewhat more confusing than that. i think it was Newer who also made an EtherMiniDock (mighta been asante, dunno), which is probably what confused you, i think it was missing the Modem passthru (probably that's where the extra circuitry is implemented also) but the internal modem is a POS unsuitable for anything but faxing and emergency dialup at 14.4.

i think i put links to japanese sites with piccies for just about all the docks ever made in the links project (jus' click on second dot in my sig ) there are a couple of SCSI-10bt adapters picies and the SCSI MicroDocks too.

if you want to check out the hacks section on fritter, look for the 2 HDD's in a 2300c thread for a very interesting twist on Duo 10bt.

jt . .

p.s. oops, don't think i ever put them into the links project, they're scattered in my posts if you wanna search: here's one, you can probable trace most of them thru links there, a couple seem to be missing tho!:
http://www.linkclub.or.jp/~nature/duo/acc/acc.html

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 30 May 2002 13:19:28Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  13:26:55
Yep, the MiniDock has no ethernet, as I an attest. The NewerTech EtherMicroDock is my personal favorite, though. It cost me almost $40, but boy, was it worth every penny!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 07 Jun 2002 :  08:13:05
Does the EthernetMicro Dock have RJ-45 or is it AAUI?

68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Newton Squadron Commander
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 07 Jun 2002 :  09:52:39
RJ-45

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
I Have No Legs!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.