Posted - 30 May 2002 :  03:27:52
iLike!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  03:34:02
@racking out workunits in a fraction over 6 hrs.... My work G4 (DP1000) takes 10-12 hrs for each one.

Why, oh why can't SETI optimise for Altivec and SMP... then I'll be able to kick his booty!

Ripped off!

Cheers!
CC

PS. Thought you might like it Trash!

Current score:

1 eMate 300
1 Apple //e
1 Macintosh Portable
2 LC IIs
1 LC III
3 LC 475s
5 Quadra 605s
1 Quadra 700
1 Quadra 800
1 PB 520c
2 Powermac 6100s
1 PowerComputing Powerbase 240
1 Wallstreet
and a partridge in a pear tree

Edited by - bigsadhu on 30 May 2002 03:35:27

Edited by - bigsadhu on 30 May 2002 03:37:15Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  08:20:40
Whoa, that open frame design ought to spew out enough radio frequency interference to disrupt radio and TV reception over a 3 block radius. It would be very appropriate if space aliens detected the Earth by picking up the radio emissions coming out of that thing (of course, once the aliens determined it was a PC, they would conclude their was no intelligent life on Earth)

Hmmm.. I also notice that the website is hosted on Comcast, so that hacker must be a cable TV customer. I wonder if Comcast gives him a rebate for screwing up the broadcast TV reception of all his neighbors?

g4from128k

------------
-- The Liberated: PB 190cs, Outbound 2030E, Performa 450
-- The Originals: 128k, Mac II
-- The Contraband: 7585e & 8575G3 FrankenMacs, Pismo PB, G4/450 AGP Tower mit Cinema DisplayGo to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  09:06:08
That's not a bad SETI@home setup. I used to run it on my iMac 333. It averaged about 19 hours per unit...not pretty!

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  09:51:28
Yeah, but can it do the laundry?

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  20:33:29
Hah! I think not. I bet you could pull it off with applescript or something, though

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2002 :  05:42:35
[quote]
It would be very appropriate if space aliens detected the Earth by picking up the radio emissions coming out of that thing (of course, once the aliens determined it was a PC, they would conclude their was no intelligent life on Earth)
[quote]

Yeh, damn Apple and there EMI sheilding. I sepecially hate the tin sheet stuff they use in later machines, the number of cuts I've got off that stuff. The plates the fit on the drive bays in the front of 7x00 Macs are the worst, the fall of all the time and get crossed up and crushed when you slide the lid on.

--
Mark Benson

FlatPackMacs http://fpm.gotdns.com

2nd Lieutenant - 68kMLA, LC Quartermaster
Flat Packing Macs for 68k MLA airlift excercises
Macs Liberated = 14!Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2002 :  06:54:33
Think on the bright side. At least Macs are easy to open and work on. I got a free Compaq Pentium 233 yesterday with a broken floppy drive. It took me 10 minutes to figure out how to get the damned case open! Turns out you have to undo two screws and slide the side panel left and then down. After that, I had to get at the floppy drive. Instead of having it mounted on a sled or something, it was screwed into a drive bracket, along with the hard drive, that was mounted to the side of the case. I had to disconnect the hard drive just to get the floppy out! I had to completely disassemble the floppy drive just to discover that there was a small spring stuck in it. While I was in there, I put in a couple of SIMMs to boost the RAM a bit. In order to access the RAM, you have to remove the PCI riser assembly and clear a mess of cables out of your way. How inefficient! After reassembling it, I put the IDE cable in the wrong way. In a PC, there is no way to know which way the IDE cable is supposed to go, other than trial and error. Now, the floppy drive works, but I NEVER WANT TO WORK ON ANOTHER PC AGAIN!

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE, IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100, PB 5300, PowerMac 5400
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

0ldsch00lpunk
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2002 :  11:35:12
Hate to burst your bubble as to working on PC's but...

The red stripe goes closest to the power connecter. As for Compaq they're not even real PC's as they've been butchered to the point that I'm surprised you got off the shelf RAM to work in them.

I'll take a nice pile of unrelated componants any put one together in under a half hour any day of the week.

And so you don't think I'm just a PC snob...I have a Performa 578 that I've hacked up to 36MB RAM, 4GB HD, and a pretty decent 28.8 modem. I also run B2/JIT (142) w/ OS 8.1 on two different INTEL boxes.

Peace

0ldsch00lpunkGo to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2002 :  11:55:28
Thanks for your help.

I agree about Compaq PCs. They're crap. At least most of the stuff in them is compatible with OpenStep, so I don't have to use Windoze. I noticed the hard drive was mounted on its side; it's like they want it to fail.

I've worked on other PCs, and they're not so bad. I still find it much easier to work on my 5400; the motherboard just slides out the back without having to open up the case. The 6100 and IIsi are even better; the top just comes off!

0ldsch00lpunk
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2002 :  15:10:10
The newer (post 1997) IDE hard drives aren't too bad for failures due to the way they're mounted. About that time most drive manufacturers started using better materials for the main spindle bearing resulting in reduced wear from torque/imbalance. Then with the advent of 7200 - 10,000 rpm drives they were force to actually perform a proper balancing on the platters and heads.

God I sound like a geek.....

0ldsch00lpunkGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2002 :  17:19:15
quote:

The plates the fit on the drive bays in the front of 7x00 Macs are the worst, the fall of all the time and get crossed up and crushed when you slide the lid on.

I noticed that with my 7200, and was thinking of getting rid of them... But I was working on a 7600 the other day, and they fixed that problem by them - a very nice machine they were.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2002 :  17:46:21
Not only are Compaq computers the biggest piles of crap but their service engineers are cowboys, so I'm told. They used to have this dodge back in the old days, speaking of hard disks, whereby machines that came in under waranty repair for hard disk failure were treated to a royal service. This involved taking the hard disk out, dropping it on the floor and running it up. If it suceeded it was usually enough to get the machine out of it's warranty and thus avoid Compaq having to forego the charge for the hard disk to the customer. Also I worked on a Compaq machine that had trashed it's copy of Windows 95 once. We had to reformat the hard disk so we decided to do it the 100% proper way by using FDISK and repartitioning from scratch. We found that the BIOS actually keeps half the info on the hard disk in a 32K partition, how stupid is that. I can see why half of HP was opposed to buying them out, they are a bunch of design loosers.

--
Mark Benson

FlatPackMacs http://fpm.gotdns.com

2nd Lieutenant - 68kMLA, LC Quartermaster
Flat Packing Macs for 68k MLA airlift excercises
Macs Liberated = 14!Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 21 Jun 2002 :  06:25:17
Okay, I hate the damned thing even more now! I defragmented the drive (with Disk Defragmenter, it's FAT32 with Windoze 95 B) and tried to use presizer to resize the primary partition so I could install OpenStep in the free space without losing the Windoze installation on the computer. (There's no Quake for OpenStep, and I don't have a Windoze install CD.) It turns out that there are some files that Windoze Defrag won't move near the end of the drive, so the partition won't shrink. By looking at the drive diagram in Disk Defragmenter, I see that there are several small files and two large files that are not moved by the defragmenter. How do I find out what these files are, and how do I move them to the beginning of the drive so I can get on with the partition resize?

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 21 Jun 2002 :  06:43:31
quote:

Okay, I hate the damned thing even more now! I defragmented the drive (with Disk Defragmenter, it's FAT32 with Windoze 95 B) and tried to use presizer to resize the primary partition so I could install OpenStep in the free space without losing the Windoze installation on the computer. (There's no Quake for OpenStep, and I don't have a Windoze install CD.) It turns out that there are some files that Windoze Defrag won't move near the end of the drive, so the partition won't shrink. By looking at the drive diagram in Disk Defragmenter, I see that there are several small files and two large files that are not moved by the defragmenter. How do I find out what these files are, and how do I move them to the beginning of the drive so I can get on with the partition resize?

Easiest is to use a different defragger. Try snagging the demo/evaluation version of DiskKeeper.

Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 21 Jun 2002 :  07:43:29
Thanks! I will try that and report back if it works or not.

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 21 Jun 2002 :  13:53:54
It worked! Thanks for your help! I am now in the process of installing OpenStep! THANK YOU!

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.