68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Lounge
 Old Coots unite, or bootup, or fall in or ....
Author Topic  
G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  17:27:16
Couple us older coots were pondering the imponderables from our perspective of dementia ... err maturity (actually we were sidetracking a couple a topics). We wonder if the 68kMLA needs a special corp of troops that, while not as spritely during dangerous missions, can add a certain flair to these procedings.

jt's suggested that we need a name this elite/elderly corp. Adding to his suggestion, a list of possibilities is:
* Grizzled Veterans of Antiquated OS Wars (GVAOSW)
* Old Feets Soldiers of the 68kMLA (OFS68kMLA)
* 68k Macintosh Liberation Old Feets Soldiers(68kMLOSF)
* Feets Sore Codgers of the 68kMLA (FSC68kMLA)
* Old Wetware 4 Old Software/Hardware (OW4OSH)
* Merry Optimisitic Old Feets Fanatics (MOOFF)
* iCoots

Any other ideas? Any derisive laughter? Any response at all?

g4from128k

------------
-- The Liberated: PB 190cs, Outbound 2030E, Performa 450
-- The Originals: 128k, Mac II
-- The Contraband: 7585e & 8575G3 FrankenMacs, Pismo PB, G4/450 AGP Tower mit Cinema Display

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  18:21:57
quote:

Couple us older coots were pondering the imponderables from our perspective of dementia ... err maturity (actually we were sidetracking a couple a topics). We wonder if the 68kMLA needs a special corp of troops that, while not as spritely during dangerous missions, can add a certain flair to these procedings.

jt's suggested that we need a name this elite/elderly corp. Adding to his suggestion, a list of possibilities is:
* Grizzled Veterans of Antiquated OS Wars (GVAOSW)
* Old Feets Soldiers of the 68kMLA (OFS68kMLA)
* 68k Macintosh Liberation Old Feets Soldiers(68kMLOSF)
* Feets Sore Codgers of the 68kMLA (FSC68kMLA)
* Old Wetware 4 Old Software/Hardware (OW4OSH)
* Merry Optimisitic Old Feets Fanatics (MOOFF)
* iCoots

Any other ideas? Any derisive laughter? Any response at all?

G4/450 AGP Tower mit Cinema Display

<bugeyes> mit Cinema Display! *faints dead away in apopleptic fit of jealousy*

*gets up and decides to act like a grown up (HAR!)*

<derisive laughter mode>

Feets-Sore Old Fogies of the 68kMLA
Cantankerous Coot Contingent
the old guard (Napoleonic era)
Pre-Feets Elite

</derisive laughter mode>

HAR!

jt

=8-}

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  18:38:34
quote:

the old guard (Napoleonic era)

Whenever I hear "guard" in the military context, I always think of the Prussian guard from Vonnegut's Deadeye Dick...the kid's father always wanted to be one and actually had the uniform...and he and Hitler (they were good buddies) wore it around...and stream of conscience...

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  22:11:22
hmm....I might have to form a group unto myself. I go back to the days of slide rules and carbon paper. I guess I really am a dinosaur:)

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  22:39:20
quote:

hmm....I might have to form a group unto myself. I go back to the days of slide rules and carbon paper. I guess I really am a dinosaur:)

bah! you're just a kid rex!

right about now i feel like primordial pond slime! blech! at least the DSL is back up and i'm myself again!

btw: FYI, G4from . . . . alcoa is an alter ego that's surfaced occasionally when i've had connection or password/cookie related login problems, wouldn't wanna confuse ya!

jt ™. .

p.s. that's it! we're the 68kMLA SLIPSTICK SQUAD!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 29 May 2002 22:42:23Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  06:12:39
quote:

quote:

right about now i feel like primordial pond slime! blech! at least the DSL is back up and i'm myself again!

btw: FYI, G4from . . . . alcoa is an alter ego that's surfaced occasionally when i've had connection or password/cookie related login problems, wouldn't wanna confuse ya!

We're all just a bunch of grizzled slipstick users here. My first slide rule was this big plastic thing with 20 scales on it. I bought it at a dime store (another thing only the dinosaurs will remember) back in '75. Its on my book shelf not 5 feet from were I sit (I still do an accoassial multiplication problem on it for the sake of nostalia). You guys realize that the cursor (the sliding clear thingie) on a slide rule is THE ORIGINAL CURSOR!

btw, jt, thanx for the heads about the alcoa alter ego. What exact is in those cookies that makes alcoa resurface?

I think 68kMLA Slipstick Squad and Cantankerous Coot Contingent are my running favorites, so far.

g4from128k

------------
-- The Contraband: 7585e & 8575G3 FrankenMacs, Pismo PB, G4/450 AGP Tower mit Cinema DisplayGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  10:39:23
quote:

quote:

quote:

We're all just a bunch of grizzled slipstick users here. My first slide rule was this big plastic thing with 20 scales on it . . . You guys realize that the cursor (the sliding clear thingie) on a slide rule is THE ORIGINAL CURSOR!

cripes! how grizzled could you possibly be!?! in '75 i was using the crappy one from highschool to noodle out my farkin' jr/sr yr college cumes, you young whipper snapper!
quote:

btw, jt, thanx for the heads about the alcoa alter ego. What exact is in those cookies that makes alcoa resurface?

HAR!™ dunno what alice puts innem, but they be righteous home bakin'!
quote:

I think 68kMLA Slipstick Squad and Cantankerous Coot Contingent are my running favorites, so far.

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  10:52:19
must read material for the CCC!

http://www.macaddict.com/forums/Forum18/HTML/009898.html

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  15:08:49
Ya got a case of some serious nostalia on that there thread! I was surprised at the lack of good old geek references! How can anyone forget:

* old HP calculators (HP-35,45,55,65,67,97)

* the HP-45 stopwatch timer Easter egg

* newer old HP calculators (HP-25, the 25C was for sissies)

* that Commodore Statistical calculator with like a 100 buttons on it

* the KIM-1

* Timex Sinclair computer

* doing low-level programming in Basic with PEEK and POKE commands

* silver write-protect stickers (back when floppies were floppy)

Not sure whether to laugh, cry, or just utter a contented sigh for the good old days,

g4from128k

------------
-- The Contraband: 7585e & 8575G3 FrankenMacs, Pismo PB, G4/450 AGP Tower mit Cinema DisplayGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  15:29:16
quote:

Ya got a case of some serious nostalia on that there thread! I was surprised at the lack of good old geek references! How can anyone forget:

-- The Contraband: 7585e & 8575G3 FrankenMacs, Pismo PB, G4/450 AGP Tower mit Cinema Display

ummmm! <rolleyes> <PEEKs at sig above>

if you're feeling really nostalgic, i've got a mint amber herc to swap for that last piece of hardware! *POKEs fun at silly old fart in reminescent stupor!*

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  15:43:43
Watchout, anyone approaching my Cinema Display with evil intentions is likely to get lashed by a cat'o nine SCSI cables (the centronics end, of course!)

Besides, I always prefered green screens

g4from128k

------------

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  15:53:52
quote:

Besides, I always prefered green screens

ahhh! phooey!

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  21:33:41
hmm...my first electronic device was an old SR-11 from Texas Instruments waaaaaaay back in 1973 for college. I was so proud of that thing even though the batteries were only good for about an hour. We only got a half hour of actual computer use a week punching in code on teletype/data terminals, no monitors back then. We wrote everything in longhand on legal pads. We never actually were able to test our "works of art". The University could not spare the resources. Those days were beyond primitive. It does amaze me what people toss out these days, we would killed for that junk.

Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  07:34:01
Wow, in college in '73, I feel like a webkiddie now! (I didn't start college til '79).

And a TI calculator I always thought of TI as the Microsoft of calculators (or is Microsoft the TI of operating systems!) Anyhoo, like jt said, I guess we're all veterans of old OS wars. My first OS war was HP vs. TI. (RPN Rules!)

But seeing as how were both on the 68k side now, I am sure we'll all get along swimmingly.

Like you, I spent a lot of time in front of a TTY with the ALL CAPS typing cylinder, 110 baud modem with telephone headset cups, and a papertape reader/puncher (those little punchdots made great confetti). I avoided punchcards as much as I could (my lack fo typing skills meant that I created 2-3 bad punch cards for every good punch card). I even cheated when our FORTRAN class required the use of punch cards (I typed/edited my program on a Lear-Seigler green screen terminal and sent my debugged file to a card punch printer that no one knew about)

Ahhhh good times,

g4from128k

------------

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  07:53:55
jt, SIR! Congratulations on becoming a Four Star General, SIR!

g4from128k

------------

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  08:12:14
quote:

jt, SIR! Congratulations on becoming a Four Star General, SIR!

BLAAAAAARG!

somehow this seems like deja vu - all over again!

thx, comrade!

jt ™. .

ooh! C to the 4th! CCCComrades, dynamite!

HAR!™

Ouch! putrescent pun posted!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 31 May 2002 08:15:16Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 02 Jun 2002 :  07:08:48
my first electronic device was an 80486 from a local computer company near where I grew up. The company was called Myoda.

http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINE
AIM:scchicago87
Yahoo!IM:scchicagoGo to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.