All Forums
 68k Conquests
 KnubbelMac!
Author Topic  
GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  16:58:28
More liberations on the battlegrounds of U of T!

Thanks to our operatives in the U of T Swap Shop, we have now managed to save four more old abandoned Macs (namely, a Plus, an SE/30, and two Classics). The SE/30 is a particularly good find, as it has an Ethernet card in it (10-BASE-2 or 10-BASE-5, unfortunately, so no 10-BASE-T, which makes it a pain to network with the rest...).

There will be a celebration in the barracks tonight! Each soldier will be limited to four beers - but since they're good strong English/German/etc. beers, we doubt that will be too much of a problem.

Keep the faith, my brothers and sisters!

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 19
(as of May 29, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  17:30:24
I lift a pint of porter in your general direction

g4from128k

------------
-- The Liberated: PB 190cs, Outbound 2030E, Performa 450
-- The Originals: 128k, Mac II
-- The Contraband: 7585e & 8575G3 FrankenMacs, Pismo PB, G4/450 AGP Tower mit Cinema DisplayGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  08:38:59
HUZZAH! The 68k's just keep falling in...

<takes a swig>

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  21:03:46
quote:

The SE/30 is a particularly good find, as it has an Ethernet card in it (10-BASE-2 or 10-BASE-5, unfortunately, so no 10-BASE-T, which makes it a pain to network with the rest...).

It's not that big a pain to network. You just need a 10BaseT transceiver for the AUI (10B5) port. A common piece; should be cheap on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  04:58:59
quote:

It's not that big a pain to network. You just need a 10BaseT transceiver for the AUI (10B5) port. A common piece; should be cheap on eBay.
- jruschme

You're thinking of the Ethernet ports on some of the earlier Quadras. This is something completely different - an actual 10-BASE-5 network port.
(At least, I *think* you're thinking of something different...)

GORDOOM
(as of May 29, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  05:32:19
What kind of port is it exactly? DB-25?

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  05:44:39
It's a DB-15 port, which was the port design used for 10-BASE-5. The other port is very definitely a 10-BASE-2 port.

GORDOOM
(as of May 29, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  13:28:12
quote:

You're thinking of the Ethernet ports on some of the earlier Quadras. This is something completely different - an actual 10-BASE-5 network port.

Nope.

The DB15 port (10B5) is referred to as an AUI port. It is for the connection of an external Ethernet tranceiver. It is not 10B5-specific, that just happens to be the most common. What you want is a 10bT tranceiver for an AUI port. Something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2028477246

The Quadras and early PPCs had an AAUI port. Same purpose, different connector. Apple actually made an adapter that connected to an AAUI port and converted it to an AUI port.

<<<john>>>

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  15:08:08
quote:

quote:

Nope.

The DB15 port (10B5) is referred to as an AUI port. It is for the connection of an external Ethernet tranceiver. It is not 10B5-specific, that just happens to be the most common. What you want is a 10bT tranceiver for an AUI port. Something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2028477246

cool, anybody gonna bid? i've got about half a dozen aAUI cards if nobody else needs these, i might bid.

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 01 Jun 2002 :  03:08:51
OK... I see what you're getting at. I'm sorry...

I didn't realise that such a device exists. I'll have to remember that - I have no money to buy stuff right now, but hopefully I will eventually...

GORDOOM
(as of May 29, 2002)

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 02 Jun 2002 :  08:22:48
I wish i had some network hardware laying around for old macs. I don't know where to find the hardware that would be compatible with my old macs and be able to connect to a hub for the newer hardware as well.

http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINE
AIM:scchicago87
Yahoo!IM:scchicagoGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.