68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 68k Conquests
 Naked PowerBook rescued from certain doom...
Author Topic  
maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  00:53:00
Looks like the FlyingColours Project (the 180c part search) may finally be over. This afternoon an almost complete PowerBook 165c sans case was put into my hands for free. What i have is:

PowerBook 165c logic board, daughercard, cousin card
PowerBook 165c Passive Matrix LCD screen and associated internal cabling
PowerBook 165c inverter board, converter board, interconnect board and associaed internal cabling

All for free. This baby isn't going to be hacked, though. You remember the 180c that died a sad death after 4 days of ownership? YEP! Its going steeeeeeeraight in there as soon as i finish the exams and stuff faster than you can say, "Sweetest PowerBook deal ever!", along with a few components that i will reuse from the 180c, the keyboard, trackball and the 12 meg RAM upgrade and the HD.

Celebrations are already taking place. I'm playing my so called "Liberation Anthem", which is Drops of Jupiter, by Train. Funny thing though is that it came in a Gigabyte Technologies box, a PC motherboard manufacturer, so i was sorta liberating incognito. Most people thought it was a PC mobo, the box looks like it, right down to the Designed for Mordorsoft Windohze Schmexpe logo. Bah! Should be "Designed for Mac OS System 7.6.1"!

Enough of my useless rambling for now...

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  00:56:57
Cool score! Looks like you're finally nearing the light at the end of the tunnel...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  05:45:05
Excellent liberation Good war story too -- powerbook mobo escapes from behind enemy lines by hiding the enemy's own shipping carton.

Any way you can document and/or photograph the various tidbits and the reanimation process? This sounds like a true frackenmac project -- reanimatng a mac by combining parts from multiple corposes. Perhaps you will revive the machine by shuffling across the carpet and touching the reset button! You definitely need a jacob's ladder, bubbling jars of goo, etc.

BTW, "PowerBook 165c logic board, daughtercard, cousin card" suggests that there is a missing "sibling card". If the logic board has a daughtercard for its offspring, then the cousin of the daughter is the offspring of the sibling of parent. Now if the cousin card attaches to the daughtercard, then it would be a granddaughter card. But if the daughtercard married its motherboard's brother it could give birth to its own cousin. Huhh?? I've just confused myself.

Happy hacking,

g4from128k

------------
-- The Liberated: PB 190cs, Outbound 2030E, Performa 450
-- The Originals: 128k, Mac II
-- The Contraband: 7585e & 8575G3 FrankenMacs, Pismo PB, G4/450 AGP Tower mit Cinema Display

Edited by - g4from128k on 29 May 2002 05:45:49Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  07:01:18
quote:

BTW, "PowerBook 165c logic board, daughtercard, cousin card" suggests that there is a missing "sibling card". If the logic board has a daughtercard for its offspring, then the cousin of the daughter is the offspring of the sibling of parent. Now if the cousin card attaches to the daughtercard, then it would be a granddaughter card. But if the daughtercard married its motherboard's brother it could give birth to its own cousin. Huhh?? I've just confused myself.

thas' why you should use the proper technical nomenclature:

. . . little "green plug-in-thingie" with chips-n-$&!# onnit!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  07:15:03
quote:

As an engineer, I've always perfered more technically correct terms like framistan, doomiflatchee and dohickie (of course, as an engineer I can't spell these terms worth a darn).

But seriously, what are the proper geneological terms for the various and sundry fiddlybits inside a computer. Tis a very strange nontraditional family we have with all these motherboards, daughterboards, cousincards, masters, and slaves. And is this nontraditional, nonnuclear family homeless because they live on a bus?

Inquiring minds want to know (OK, twisted minds wants to know )

g4from128k

------------
-- The Contraband: 7585e & 8575G3 FrankenMacs, Pismo PB, G4/450 AGP Tower mit Cinema DisplayGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  07:51:33
quote:

quote:

As an engineer, I've always perfered more technically correct terms like framistan, doomiflatchee and dohickie (of course, as an engineer I can't spell these terms worth a darn).

But seriously, what are the proper geneological terms for the various and sundry fiddlybits inside a computer. . . . . .

Inquiring minds want to know (OK, twisted minds wants to know )

heeeee! not having the affliction of a technical education or real knowledge of any of this stuff, i find myself free to make a fool of myself in almost any area of interest! hack on a patch on a kludge is about as accurate a technical description as i can muster. the kid thinks i've gained just enough knowledge to be REALLY DANGEROUS in a lot of areas! he may be right.

whatever, what kind of engineering do you do?

apple's convention seems to be that mobos an' things that get other thingies plugged into them are "boards" and the plug in thingies are "cards", other than that i think apples terminology is pretty much the same cluster**** as its "industry standard" hardware implementation record.

there's gotta be a decent glossary with all this stuff in it online, if you find one, put it in my links project. (or anybody else for that matter)

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  08:40:06
Officially I are a mechanical engineer. But I have also done a fair amount of optical design, a bit'o electronics, signal processing, and some software in various languages.

As for official terminology, on an intellectual level I agree that consistent nomenclature is the key to communication. But on a personal/practical level I say f**k it (I don't have enough disk space in my head to remember the finer points of terminology)

I too, love a good kludge (but prefer kludges on hacks to hacks on kludges )

If a find a good glossary, I post it,

g4from128k

------------
-- The Contraband: 7585e & 8575G3 FrankenMacs, Pismo PB, G4/450 AGP Tower mit Cinema DisplayGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  08:44:43
I know just how you feel. When I finally pieced together my Duo 280c after months and months of scrounging for working parts, it was almost like I had a second child!!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  14:49:18
quote:

I know just how you feel. When I finally pieced together my Duo 280c after months and months of scrounging for working parts, it was almost like I had a second child!!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!

*swerves back onto original topic!*

I have encountered a problem. Unfortunately, the hole in the 180c bezel for the screen is smaller than the 165c screen, but i have come up with a solution. Thankfully, from the Original QFW68KPB Project i have a spare 170 display bezel, which is 10 inches. The 165c screen is nine inches. It will look a bit ugly, as you will be able to see metal, but it will work, and it'll look a little less Frankensteinish than it would be if i was to leave it off or somthing.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

benightedbastard

Australia
62 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  19:46:04
quote:

Cool score! Looks like you're finally nearing the light at the end of the tunnel...

So long as it's not just some bastard with a flashlight bringing him more troubles..

Kickass, dude. Let us know when she's all together;)Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 11 Jun 2002 :  14:10:08
is that naked powerbook clothed yet?

Website(closed):
http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINEGo to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 11 Jun 2002 :  14:10:31

Website(closed):
http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINEGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Jun 2002 :  14:26:58
quote:

No. Unfortunately, the 180c DOES NOT USE THE SAME DISPLAY BACK PANEL AS THE 165c. Therefore, unfortunately, the project is postponed until i can get one.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 11 Jun 2002 :  15:49:17
quote:

Is it just me or...: Mother Board, daughtercard, cousin card?

[^"^]
I'm new
New Hotline! address: 216.130.83.218

Promoted to private June 5 2002 Currently posted in the Canadian Battalion.

Macs liberated - 2Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2002 :  05:43:23
quote:

quote:

Is it just me or...: Mother Board, daughtercard, cousin card?

[^"^]
I'm new
New Hotline! address: 216.130.83.218

Promoted to private June 5 2002 Currently posted in the Canadian Battalion.

Macs liberated - 2

Motherboard = logic board

'Nuff said.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2002 :  07:15:27
quote:

quote:

No. Unfortunately, the 180c DOES NOT USE THE SAME DISPLAY BACK PANEL AS THE 165c. Therefore, unfortunately, the project is postponed until i can get one.

Maybe I'm missing something, but won't the 180c display assembly connect directly to the 165c motherboard?

If so, why not just use the entire top of the 180c intact?

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2002 :  14:53:30
quote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but won't the 180c display assembly connect directly to the 165c motherboard?

No. Unfortunately, it connects to the interconnect board, which is connected to the daughterboard, which is connected to the logic board. The 165c and the 180c both use a different daughterboard and interconnect board, thus meaning that using the 180c screen will not work.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 13 Jun 2002 :  07:34:45
quote:

quote:

No. Unfortunately, it connects to the interconnect board, which is connected to the daughterboard, which is connected to the logic board. The 165c and the 180c both use a different daughterboard and interconnect board, thus meaning that using the 180c screen will not work.

And I take it that the daughtercard and/or interconnect board is part of the original problem with the 180c?

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 13 Jun 2002 :  14:45:55
quote:

quote:

quote:

And I take it that the daughtercard and/or interconnect board is part of the original problem with the 180c?

uh huh.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.