Trading Post! (Buy, sell & trade)
 Who's got Newton stuff?
Author Topic  
NotEnufCash
Starting Member

Canada
26 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  22:43:28
Well, I just got myself a Newton 2100! :) I'm so happy!

But now, of course, I realize I need stuff for it... I've got an old Mac to hook it up to for syncing/installing new software but I think I need the little adapter thingy for the top port so that you can make it into a serial port or whatever. Does anybody have this? I was looking at a few keyboards on eBay too... Maybe one of them might come with the adapter?

I also think I need a new battery pack. The one that came with it seems to hold a charge but you never know... I've heard you can get packs that take standard AA batteries. That would probably be ideal for me... but the normal packs are great too :)

The last thing I'm wondering... My dad has a Powerbook G3 with a PCMCIA slot. Can I stick the 32 MB card that came with the Newt into there to copy software and whatnot onto it? And then the Newt could read stuff off of it? Or am I better off getting the localtalk adapter and hooking it up to my PBook 520 for software transfers? It [the Newton] also has 33.6 modem so maybe that could be used to copy stuff?

Thank you ever so much. If anybody has any neat stuff please post! If you've got something I'm looking for I can either part out my old Quadra 610 or else go the straight cash/paypal route :)

Proud owner of a Newton 2100, a Quadra 610, and a Powerbook 520c...
Oh, and the G4/733 of course

LeeMac
Trading Post Commander

USA
202 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  00:56:10
Welcome to the 68kmla!I think I have seen you over at MAF in the pre-G3 forum. Glad you stopped by and I hope we can help you with what you are looking for. Feel free to ask questons and chime in if you have anything that you feel is worth saying. Stop over at the Lounge and introduce yourself to the troops and don't forget to give yourself a Rank and Military sig. Again welcome and have fun!

General LeeMac M.A.C ( Mac Action Commando) Phantom OPS
Trading Post Commander
68k's Liberated 0004
www.68kmla.comGo to Top of Page

NotEnufCash
Starting Member

Canada
26 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  09:27:52
Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes that was me over in Pre-G3 back when I decided I first wanted a Newton. And now I've got one! I;ll be certain to introduce myself to the rest of the troops right away.

On the topic of parts though.. the battery seems to be holding up great but I'm not sure how accurate the little battery meter is... if it dies, oh well.

I also just realized I need screen protectors because I really don't want to mark it all up... Can I get retail ones anywhere? Any place in Canada that anybody knows of? Or could I make my own out of something?

And an ethernet card! Maybe... I'm not sure. But I do know I need a way to get all the cool software I've found onto this thing :-)

Private NoCash
Localtalk Engineer 2nd Class
68ks Liberated: Ummm... Does a Newton count?

Oh, and the G4/733 of courseGo to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  12:04:46
In terms of the PCMCIA card working, it will. New drivers have been released taht allow the reading of these cards. The only problem is, these drivers have to get to the newt FIRST. I'd say that you should go ask Marchie, but he seems to be in the hospital (accourding to his sister) So Thats all I can help for. I also have a few newt things (all taht marchie did NOT take, which isnt much). If I find anything useful, I will post back. Hope this helps!

BTW, I am the same penguin that participated in the "flopping" thread taht you started...

~The Penguin

|Captain, Intelligence Operations|
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline ServerGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  12:48:35
quote:

I'd say that you should go ask Marchie, but he seems to be in the hospital (accourding to his sister)

marchie's ok? you would have said something if it were for an emergency or something, right? i hope it's for some routine elective procedure or something like that. is there an e-mail address at the hospital or for his sister so the troops can send well wishes?

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

NotEnufCash
Starting Member

Canada
26 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  13:24:22
quote:

In terms of the PCMCIA card working, it will. New drivers have been released taht allow the reading of these cards. The only problem is, these drivers have to get to the newt FIRST. I'd say that you should go ask Marchie, but he seems to be in the hospital (accourding to his sister) So Thats all I can help for. I also have a few newt things (all taht marchie did NOT take, which isnt much). If I find anything useful, I will post back. Hope this helps!

Well the Newt recognizes the card fine and I can save stuff to it no problem. The Powerbook also recognizes the card but only as a flash card. When I try to open it it gives me a message about it only extending the system's capabilities or something. There's no way to copy stuff onto it Is that normal?

I guess I'll just have to spring for the serial adapter. It's got the modem but no web/email/terminal software! I need to get software on this thing!

quote:

BTW, I am the same penguin that participated in the "flopping" thread taht you started...

~The Penguin

|Captain, Intelligence Operations|
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline Server

Oh yeah, the thread that won't die I'm sure glad I didn't check the "email me" box. I'd be flooded.

Hope everything's good with marchie.

Private NoCash

Oh, and the G4/733 of course

Edited by - NotEnufCash on 29 May 2002 13:27:56Go to Top of Page

NotEnufCash
Starting Member

Canada
26 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  14:19:43
Hey, just in case anybody's wondering marchie can't be that bad off since he popped into my Newton thread on the MAF. He says he is (was) in a cafe so unless he escaped from the hospital just to use his Newton I think he's okay

Private NoCash

Oh, and the G4/733 of courseGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  15:36:13
quote:

Hey, just in case anybody's wondering marchie can't be that bad off since he popped into my Newton thread on the MAF. He says he is (was) in a cafe so unless he escaped from the hospital just to use his Newton I think he's okay

hope he doesn't loose it again there!

glad to hear he's ok, thanks for the update!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.