All Forums
 68k Hacks
 I'd like to introduce you to 575 Takky.
Author Topic  
TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  11:32:44
Here is a neat hack I think maclover5 will drool over...

http://member.nifty.ne.jp/katsura/english/mac/575.html

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:18
ENTER THROUGH THE GATES

Edited by - TiMacLover on 28 May 2002 11:33:39

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  19:46:49
Cool mod - I'd do a 5400 rather than a 5200 mobo, though.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  20:19:35
The 62xx, 52xx, 63xx (besides the 6360, of course) are a bit too crippled for my tastes

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  02:29:59
Thats really cool. Seems a lot easier than the PowerColourClassic too. I would do it, but i don't have:

PPC Performa logic board
LC575
the ability to get over the fear of busting the CRT when i remove that damn video board from the CRT neck

Sounds relly good though! I get the super-sexy LC575 look (LC580 curves? Bah! I'd take the straight lines of a 575 any day! ) I hope i get to try it some day!

Btw, ~Coxy, the implimentation of a 5400 board would unfortunately require more work. Since the 5400 is based on a PCI architecture, you need another power source for the motherboard. This is when things start getting difficult...

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  03:47:39
From what I understand its not actually a whole power supply thats required just an small circuit to provide a 3.3 volt line. You only need the extra power supply if you are using "big" PCI cards lots of cache Procsessor upgrade. It seems you don't need the 3.3 volt line with a 6500 or 5500. Wish I'd known that before I bought a 6360!

maclover5: I'm not sure where you are in Australia but If you're anywhere near Melbourne there's a shop with stacks of 5x0 performas and a few pizza box macs. I went there quite a few times but sadly missed out on the day when they threw out several skips full of old mac's and pc's!!!!! Some guy heard about it and they just let him fill up his car with whatever he could take. I think he got a lot of 1xx series powerbooks along with more pizza box macs than you can shake a stick at!! I wish I'd been there

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  03:53:24
quote:

From what I understand its not actually a whole power supply thats required just an small circuit to provide a 3.3 volt line. You only need the extra power supply if you are using "big" PCI cards lots of cache Procsessor upgrade. It seems you don't need the 3.3 volt line with a 6500 or 5500. Wish I'd known that before I bought a 6360!

maclover5: I'm not sure where you are in Australia but If you're anywhere near Melbourne there's a shop with stacks of 5x0 performas and a few pizza box macs. I went there quite a few times but sadly missed out on the day when they threw out several skips full of old mac's and pc's!!!!! Some guy heard about it and they just let him fill up his car with whatever he could take. I think he got a lot of 1xx series powerbooks along with more pizza box macs than you can shake a stick at!! I wish I'd been there

Actually, i have close ties with an AppleCentre with two LC575s both in perfect working order sans logic board, which would be a perfect platform to implement this hack. However, the dreaded PAF prevents me from getting an AIO, so unfortunately, i can't.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.