ResEdit Help
Author Topic  
0ldsch00lpunk
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  06:42:06
One and All,

This comes from a guy who will edit a Windows registry at the drop of a hat.

How in the world does one correctly use ResEdit? In the particular case I want to "fix" or "re-add" the resource fork back to files that lost the fork when downloaded to a PC. I have some of the common resource values for *.img files but would be interested in the values for *.smi and any others you might be able to provide.

In any case I can add one of the values but not the other.

I'm sooooooo confused........

0ldsch00lpunk

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  07:24:26
quote:

One and All,

This comes from a guy who will edit a Windows registry at the drop of a hat.

How in the world does one correctly use ResEdit? In the particular case I want to "fix" or "re-add" the resource fork back to files that lost the fork when downloaded to a PC. I have some of the common resource values for *.img files but would be interested in the values for *.smi and any others you might be able to provide.

In any case I can add one of the values but not the other.

I'm sooooooo confused........

i think some shareware program called filetyper or something like that would be easier for what you seem to be describing. i never touch resedit without woodpulp based docs at hand!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  09:09:50
ResEdit works in the opposite way than the Windows Registry does (I always try to explain this to PC-bigots who says the MacOS doesn't give the user as much freedom as Windows does, but they just never quite understand). Instead of opening a single file that contains keys for everything within the OS, you edit file by file, resource by resource.

You launch ResEdit and open two files, one being the file that needs to be changed and one being a file that already working. You find the values in the good file (i.e., whichever values are missing) and just copy and paste them to the bad one, simple as that.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

0ldsch00lpunk
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  10:48:55
Thanks for the response...I've also found that using HFV Explorer will allow me to edit just the file type and creator which is really all I needed to do.

BTW, although I have spent my entire career to date on PC's and will probably never change (I really like to eat and have a place to live) I do recognize the usefulness of Mac's and I have a definate need to know as much as I can about the way they work and the how the OS manages resources, etc.

0ldsch00lpunkGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  10:58:50

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  11:10:16
quote:

yah! i think one of the reasons the ball and chain rolled away is that she thought i should do something "working in computers" and make a lot of money!

she's clueless about what skills can get you any kind of real money. i don't suffer fools well at all, so i probably couldn't deal with users OR management. i also have trouble being positive about ANY kind of computers or software, but mordorsoft particularly makes my skin crawl.

so i guess i should stay away from "working in computers" huh?

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  12:33:44
I first had a go on an Atari 2600 games console, early in the eighties, then late in the eighties my brother got an Atari 800xl & I had various friends with various computers ie:- spectrum, amstrad, commodore. I bought an ST after leaving home as I had seen my brothers. I turned it on and it went "crunch crunch crunch" I turned it off thinking it was broken. I asked my brother and apparently it checks the floppy drive(if no hard drive present) for 45 seconds and it was just trying to access a boot floppy! why would it need to do this? the 800xl had basic built in, but the ST didnt. I got more & more confident on the ST, learning about .arc files self extracting archives, I dabbled with buying hardware. The ST's kept dying well the floppy would go or the power supply became faulty. I decided to go for a differen platform, after all I was confident & had learned alot. I switched the Amiga on & waited for it to boot with a Gem type desktop but no, it couldnt be that simple. Accessing the Amiga's "Workbench" desktop was one of the most disorientating & confusing expeditions ever undertaken I am sure. So this was scary back to ST's but this time I got one with a monitor(all my computers so far had been using a tv) external drive, printer & a whopping 2 1/2 meg of ram. The computer & bits I still have but they are in various states of dissrepair. So I needed some kind of reliability I spent more money in one go than ever before £140 bought me a compaq deskpro pc with 16 meg, 530 meg hard drive high density floppy & cd rom. This has lasted ne from 1998 to 2002. I have now moved onto Apple mac, I wanted a 68k and so chose my Quadra 840av the fastest 68k mac and a bloody pc killer it is too.

Is there a point to this? yes

I have become objective about computers. This Quadra has been just as big a pain in the neck as all the others except for this point, I am solving any problems, having fun and the Quadra is working very successfully in todays computer environment.

We find the chinese odd for the twang in there accent, the cannibals of indonesia, the french eating snails but they all have thier own culture and need to be respected. Computers too have thier own culture and 68k computers are a culture in thier own right. Learn from other platforms but I like 68k Apple Macs now because they can be worked with, enhanced and relied upon. I also use MagicMac and so have access to lots of well written TOS/GEM (Atari) software.

now how do I get a signature at the end of this? I want it to say.....

shaktiman

68kmacs liberated

Apple Mac Quadra 840av

shaktimanGo to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  06:17:28

The .img and .smi files have a checksum in the resource fork based on the data in that particular file.

So adding the resources back to a .img file can be a bit of a problem for a file that has lost them.

When the .img file mounts it uses the checksum to verify the image.

I think diskcopy has an option to turn verify checksum off but it still might not work because also in the data fork of the image file are the data fork and resource forks size fields that were calculated when the image was made.

So the mounter checks the file against these size fields and if they are'nt right it won't mount the image file.

Go to Top of Page

0ldsch00lpunk
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  11:53:02
Last response was right on...although I can now edit resource files with some "ease" I find that most times binary (non-compressed) files don't take kindly to having the resource fork added back to them.

Which brings me to a point that I'd like to make to the group as a whole. Not all of us are MAC only folks and in many cases our primary machines are Intel clones. That's where my high speed connection is and my primary source of hard drive space. It would be very help for all of us to upload files in acompressed format, MacZIP or Stuff-It, even GZip so that we can enjoy them without the problems created by editing resource forks.

I realize that there are some who can't stomach the PC world but we've been doing the compression thing for a long time and it works. Not only is the size of the file reduced but data loss is lessened.

Now that I'm off my soap box...Thanks to all who have responded.

0ldsch00lpunkGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  12:10:25
I always upload stuff that's compressed!

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  19:02:23
It's also best to hqx any sit files you upload.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2002 :  08:32:23
ahh, true indeed.

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.