All Forums
 Lounge
 68kmla
Author Topic  
shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  01:43:17
I just wanna say that This site is great & that I appreciate the work ppl have put in & that I am a much happier person for having found this site.

I do sometimes feel all at sea on this site and find that it has a very American sense of humour.

Can we have some pie charts & such which graphically show things such as where 68kmla troops live, thier ages & so I guess I am saying should we have a survey done to Gain a clear picture of usership? Questions to be asked............

What os(s) do you use
Where do you live(country & region only)
What system(68k Apple(s)) do you own/use.
how old are you
are you m/f
what other computer sytems do you own/use

fav software(top five)
fav hardware(top five)

& so anyone else wanna take this up...........

I could start writing a mag "68k format"

sections in the mag could be................

Atari
Apple
Amiga(I suppose it ought to be included but only if someone else writes it(IMPO a completly at loss feeling has never been had than the time I attempted to work with an Amiga))

To start with I would need to research & see if I could get a list of every 68k machine ever made or perhaps I will just ask ppl what 68k they use.

Does anyone think Future publishing woulds sponser this action?

Would ppl here wish to petition Future publishing to get this to happen?

I read ST Format for a good while and also have now read Mac Format and I would be glad to have thier support.

My name is, My name is, My name is,

Robert Dudley

I live in England, Middlesex

I use Mac os 8.1 & MagicMac 6.1

I own & use an Apple Mac Quadra 840av

I am 30

I am male\

I also use a pc (unfortunatley but hopefully for not much longer) I use Gemulator running TOS 2.06 & have a 2 1/2mb STfm also running Tos 2.06

I own a Playstation one

Fav software:-

Imagecopy
Magic(all flavours)
Picswitch
Graphic convertor
Speed Of Light

Fav Hardware:-

Quadra 840av
Quick shot adb mouse
Zodiac speakers
Commodore 64(I want one)
Atari st

shaktiman

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  02:58:13
Nice idea, but I doubt that a "68k Format" will ever get published.
Anyway, I can knock up a website submission form for thise survey thing - but a lot of people generally don't like giving out their details.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  03:49:14
Sod the bloody facts, lets just be positive.

We wiil petition Future Publishing and we will get a 68k mag.

As to whether it will cover just 68k macs or other 68k machines is open to debate, I want you all to tell me what you want.

I can see no reason(ie:- I dont want to see) why Future Publishinmg would not publish a 68k mag.

We are here today 28th May 2002 using this forum and indeed this web site so the readership is clearly there. 68k machines are a very seperate entity to other pc's and as well as being able to operate efficiently and successfully in the modern world they also have the "hobbiest" side to thier nature.

What I have enjoyed most about my Quadra is not the using of it but the putting together of the system and I am damn proud of what I have achieved. I have been learning constantly and have a greater knowledge of computers in general.

Y I man A shall bloody smack the world wi'me 68k.

jeez I get overpassionate.

shaktimanGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  05:06:00
quote:

Sod the bloody facts, lets just be positive.

Y I man A shall bloody smack the world wi'me 68k.

jeez I get overpassionate.

very quixotic! but impractical, i fear, the market is miniscule and even the faithful here, at AF, LEM and whatever couldn't support a printed newsletter, much less a dedicated mag.

petitioning them to do a regular column might be a good idea though. i think if we can get just one of the magazines to get the ball rolling they all would follow suit in short order.

look into how other areas of interest have developed their own niche publications. computer shopperand shutterbug adswould be good examples of how to get something started.

time to do some homework if you want to have a chance of succeeding, market analysis will be the first step to take, certainly before doing any letter writing should be considered, IMHO.

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  06:36:54
ST Format kept going for a long time, 98 or 99 & I would expect that 68k macs cover a wider spectrum. If the Macs dont number enough then I am convinced that 68k machines such as Atari clones could boost the readership, but that is now my readership research, somebody help me out with a survey here, how much would we be willing to pay and what content would we demand/omit.

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  10:31:32
I for one have no prob sharing info on location/systems/etc., but I imagine that plenty of people would lie or just goof around with it- it's too tempting.
As for a 68k mag, I doubt that we'll get a printed version, but how hard would it be to start an online, mag-style website? I'm none too handy with raw code (it's been a few years...), but I do have plenty of writing experience. With all the collective brainpower on this forum, we could have a bitchin' question-and-answer section, reader tips, stories from the front lines, editorial page, etc. Doing it online would both severely reduce the cost of a weekly/bi-weekly/monthly production, and allow better cooperation between the 68k faithful, regardless of what country/continent/planet one calls home. I bet if we really got something like this off the (virtual) ground, we'd have a lot of support from the other online Mac-friendly publications, like www.lowendmac.com, www.appleturns.com (if Jack ever comes back), www.jagshouse.com, etc. I bet a lot of people out there would love a web 'zine focused on older 68k hardware, be it Mac or Atari or Amiga or whatever. The very fact that ST Format held on for so long prooves it. Just because that print mag went under doesn't mean all those die-hard ST fans packed up their ST's and forgot all about them. Same for older Macs. By producing a slick, well-written, well layed-out 'zine, we'd not only swell our ranks (more cannon fodder, heh heh...), but also have a real voice in an increasingly non-68k-friendly world. 68k users: let's show em that we're here, we're loud, we're proud, and we ain't gonna put our 68k's in the closet anymore!
In closing, if anyone really is serious about this, I'd love to help get it started, in whatever way I can.
SpaceBoy <growing more militant by the day...>
PS Just think, this thread may someday be a second "grassroots"!

PPS If we're really serious about the whole "Mac Liberation Army" thing, why don't we have a smiley-face with commando-paint on?!

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
PMac 7100/G3-266, "DEC Rainbow" and "Altair 8800"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
iMac Rev.A/333mHz, "Deep Blue"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  11:05:05
quote:

Where do you live(country & region only)
how old are you
are you m/f

Actually, I've been thinking of something along the same lines somewhat. Kinda like a listing of 68KMLA members and where they are located throughout the world so that anyone going on a trip to another area, would be able to meet up with another member (Like what happened recently with Kady Mae and SpaceBoy) I also want to transfer the information to a worldwide map so that you can graphicly map locations of members.

Anyone like this idea? So far, I have 3 people's information collected (TiMacLover, Cinemafia, myself)

If you would like to add youself to the list, just include:
Real Name (optional)
Email Address
City
State (US only)
Country
Age (optional)
Once I collect enough submissions, I will sumbit it to the website so that people can get in contact with each other for meets.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

18 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

Morgan Funkcikle
Starting Member

United Kingdom
9 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  11:55:48
"As to whether it will cover just 68k macs or other 68k machines is open to debate"

All those washing machines that have 68030s deserve SOME kind of recognition.

~installs A/UX onto the Hotpoint 2354D~

Spin baby spin.

m.

"I'm your worst nightmare, lady; a Quadra 800 with a gun."Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  12:53:12
Yes booyakashah our kid innit.

But I think the 68k's are also yes they are there in fighter jets.

hmmmmmmmmmm we could use the fighter jets as military hardware & having washing machines is great for dirty troops on manouvers.

quote:

I dont know how to use these features

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  13:22:32
USA/CINCINNATI-DAYTON
OHIO
M
scberlin@yahoo.de

There ya are!
Add me to de Map!

http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINE
AIM:scchicago87
Yahoo!IM:scchicagoGo to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  19:13:47
I have no problem with it:
Real Name - James Cox
Email Address - coxy@literatureclassics.com
City - Perth
State - West Aus
Country - Australia
Age - 17
Gender - male

Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  19:46:31
Name: Gordon Harris
Email address: utor_libarmy@mac.com (exclusively for 68kMLA operations and related - I do check it regularly)
Location IRL: Toronto, ON, Canada

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 15
(as of May 15, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  20:07:12
i believe i shall remain anonymous! but i am in NYC and i was born somewhat earlier than the rest of you!

cripes, my freakin' kid was born earlier than a bunch of you!

<rolleyes>

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  20:47:17
Name: Michael Davis
Locale: Mt. Washington, KY (near Louisville)
E-Mail: Click on the little link at the top of this post...it works!

As for a 68k mag...there is no future in a print version, you all might as well give up on the idea. You could never get enough competent content, let alone enough advertisers to support such folly. A web-based 'zine on the other hand might actually have some merit, but would take mucho planning before you would have a decent looking product to put out to the public.

------------------
MacMoose
Benevolent Genius, 68k MLA
Total 68K Macs liberated: 9 and counting
------------------
Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  01:02:44
OMG,OMG,OMG

yes the age thing, a little embarrasing!

Scott Newsum
Just turned 30 last week
spiderman520ste@lycos.com
Male
Middlesex(north London as such)
UK

If we have ppl who are 20 or under then we must have a market, I shall post in another 68k forum now and round them up.

Morgan Funkcikle
Starting Member

United Kingdom
9 Posts
Posted - 01 Jun 2002 :  02:52:39
I'm 22. I have a Quadra 800, a IIci and a Plus. I use the Quadra quite a lot. I also have two PCs. And a LaserWrite IINT somewhere under my bed. It's a big bed.

To be honest, I'm also a raving homosexual and just think Macs looks nice. But I am sure that can be said for most of you.

Only the Plus was really a "liberation", as such; it was in the attic of the house I moved into and has a German keyboard and looks like someone has poured tar on it. Poor thing. I am, as I type this, installing System 6.08 on it.

m.

---

Morgan Funkcikle
Starting Member

United Kingdom
9 Posts
Posted - 01 Jun 2002 :  03:03:30
Whoops. You wanted all that other info too...

I'm from Scotland but I live near Birmingham.

I'm not a lesbian.

I can program in 68k asm but only for the Amiga. ~sigh~

My favourite hardware...erm...well, I like everything. Really! But it would take an awful lot to make me part with an Amiga 2000 again (God, I miss that machine.). And anyone trying to even touch my Q800 will meet a nasty end. Probably because it's not earthed and gives a lot of shocks. Woe betide those wearing nylon trousers!

Software...erm...Shufflepuck Cafe.

m.

---

Hikaru
Starting Member

16 Posts
Posted - 02 Jun 2002 :  00:55:00
Best bet for a 68 k Mag would be as a Fan Mag like the old Star Trek or AD&D fan mags

Commodore Covert Ops
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Number of 68ks Liberated: 14
PB 170, SE x4, SE/30,
classic II, IIcx x2, IIsi x2, LC. LC III, Performa 575, 600cd, Newton MP110 x2
END OF LINE _Go to Top of Page

Morgan Funkcikle
Starting Member

United Kingdom
9 Posts
Posted - 02 Jun 2002 :  01:45:47
The best format for it would be to put "32 full colour pages!" on the front cover but then glue the back 8 pages together so that only 24 pages can be accessed.

m.

---

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 02 Jun 2002 :  06:26:21
quote:

The best format for it would be to put "32 full colour pages!" on the front cover but then glue the back 8 pages together so that only 24 pages can be accessed.

m.

---
"I'm your worst nightmare, lady; a Quadra 800 with a gun."

ROFLMAO! That is the best bit'o true blue 68000 humor/humour, I've heard in a long time. Welcome to the 68kMLA, you're going to fit right it.

g4from128k

------------
-- The Liberated: PB 190cs, Outbound 2030E, Performa 450
-- The Originals: 128k, Mac II
-- The Contraband: 7585e & 8575G3 FrankenMacs, Pismo PB, G4/450 AGP Tower mit Cinema DisplayGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Jun 2002 :  13:07:12
quote:

quote:

m.

---
"I'm your worst nightmare, lady; a Quadra 800 with a gun."

ROFLMAO! That is the best bit'o true blue 68000 humor/humour, I've heard in a long time. Welcome to the 68kMLA, you're going to fit right it.

ditto! welcome aboard!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  08:37:52
I have changed my mind, in as much as I want a 68kmla format magazine.

Sponsership I would know of a few companies to try such as;

Analogic (provides 68k prehipherals & software)

Electronics shops.

Erm I need a few more.

Sections in the mag will be:-

Q&A
Readers ads
Features
Readers letters
Coverdisk
News
Operating systems

I think we'd best call it "Apple Mac 68k Format".
That way we will catch Apple fans thrpugh nostalgia & accident but it is clear enough to be 68k.

If we did get the mag & I do realise what a big "if" this is, Then I believe that we could get interest in development furthermore leading to the first 68060 Apple Mac Quadra 860av, thus leading to world domination, perhaps.

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  09:54:22
quote:

If we did get the mag & I do realise what a big "if" this is, Then I believe that we could get interest in development furthermore leading to the first 68060 Apple Mac Quadra 860av, thus leading to world domination, perhaps.

HAR!™ Dream on, shak! you could hand Apple the whole freakin' world on a silver platter and jobs and his stable of marketing morons would screw it up and hand it over to darth gates inside of 1.5 fiscal years!

all the second coming has done is to make APPL look good on paper for wall street as the mac's market share dropped to its present alltime low!

bleh!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  14:31:42
how about an email newsletter.
Or we could even have a web-based magazine on the website.

http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINE
AIM:scchicago87
Yahoo!IM:scchicagoGo to Top of Page

Morgan Funkcikle
Starting Member

United Kingdom
9 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  15:04:39
~grin~

I can be the Bob Hope of the 68KMLA...

m.

---

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  17:53:51
Seeing as we're talking about ourselves and I don't get much time to post (except at work :) )

Name: Adam Hope
Location IRL: currently Melbourne Australia Originally from Scotland

I seem to be a bit of a Mac magnet since arriving here, after only a month or so in Australia I had attracted a PTP 225 (Forgot to say it has a Quad 604e 150 card in it!) a Classic II a 7200/120 some drives a 20" Apple monitor RAM cables and now a ColourClassic and a Performa 6360.

My main machine is my ever faithful 9600 which I brought over with me. We've been throught think and thin. At one time or another its provided me with my main income and always helps out with the rent. It's only a matter of time before we take over the world.

Back home I've many more Mac's and despite what everyone says I've always thought the Performa 630 was a pretty good machine! I guess thats partly because I paid full price for it and it was the first one I owned. I had had access to many macs for quite a few years before that though. I remember going to university with a friend so we could use his dads Quadra, we thought it was the coolest thing ever(TM) and it blew away his SE/30!

About the magazine... When I moved to Australia I decided it would be a good idea to try and give up my MacFormat addiction as it 's too expensive buying it here. I haven't missed it much as I find the forums here and XLR8yourmac far more useful and entertaining than any printed magazine. I think healthy forums are actually better than a magazine in many cases. But it would be good to have some user submitted articles on the website. Things like a nice illustrated guide to overclocking LC475's and the like...

Just my$0.02 , better get stuck back into this pile of HTML

Edited by - gothikon on 03 Jun 2002 17:55:41Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  19:28:50
If people want to write articles, then I promise to upload them ASAP, you can post them here, in The Website Forum, or email me.

Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.